Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Barring a major injury, I predict that the Spurs will finish as the #2 seed in the Western Conference. This, despite the fact that the Spurs are currently the #7 seed and a full 4.0 games back from Portland for #2. Here's why:

As it stands, the Spurs are currently a pedestrian 27-16. However, we know that the poor record can be attributed largely to a brutal schedule, fluke OT losses, and key players being out with injury. But now that the team is healthy again, the Spurs are back to playing the dominant basketball (+14.6 point differential since Kawhi's return) that characterized last year's championship run.

Now, according to Hollinger's Playoff Odds, Dallas and Portland are currently projected to finish the season with 54 wins apiece, nabbing the #2 and #3 seeds respectively, while the Spurs are projected to finish at #7 with only 51 wins. However, we know this model grossly underrates the Spurs due to the aforementioned key injuries, which the model does not take into account when making its projections. Nevertheless, the model is reasonably accurate for the rest of the teams in the West, because all of them have been relatively healthy throughout the year compared with the Spurs.

The Spurs have 39 games left in their schedule. Assuming they go on a 58-win pace for the rest of the year (not unreasonable, given they won 62 games last year, and have a significantly easier schedule ahead of them), they will finish the season with 55 wins, putting them above Portland and Dallas for the #2 spot.

As for OKC, we hopefully won't have to worry about them, since they'll be booted from the playoffs by the Dubs in the first round.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    jinx thread tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ultimate jinx thread tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's no way we catch GS. And they were tough at home. We beat them 3x in GS that series. But they are older now and more mature. Still, tough seeing them going the distance. It looks like they will draw OKC in the first round.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Hollinger stuff will even out soon because it weights the most recent 25% of the season (once you're past the halfway mark) more heavily. Once the Spurs have played 10-12 games with a healthy squad (knock on wood), the injury problems won't be so apparent in the rankings.

It's strange to have just 4 games in the loss column separate 2nd from 7th. With so many teams just ahead of the Spurs, they will have to play each other many times, so if the Spurs can take care of business against an easy schedule, rising 2-3 spots shouldn't be difficult. Getting all the way to #2, though, is a tall order. I'll predict a #4 seed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I said in the other thread MEM and DAL are not going to lose many games. The Spurs will have a tough enough time even finishing 2nd seed in their DIVISION.

It would take more than a small miracle and a big injury, so I think it's safe to say no way Spurs finish 2nd.

GSW
    MEM/DAL
    SAS/HOU
    POR/OK/LAC

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think they'll finish with 54-56 wins. If they get to that total with a healthy squad, I'll be more than happy.

If I'm going to wish for more than that, I'd like their side of the bracket to include Portland, Memphis, and the Clippers. The other side would have GS, OKC, the Mavs and the Rox.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think they'll finish with 54-56 wins. If they get to that total with a healthy squad, I'll be more than happy.

If I'm going to wish for more than that, I'd like their side of the bracket to include Portland, Memphis, and the Clippers. The other side would have GS, OKC, the Mavs and the Rox.
    1.Dubs
    2.Spurs
    3.Memphis
    4.Rox
    5.Mavs
    6.Clippers
    7.Blazers
    8.OKC

Can't get better than that, realistically

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Prediction: We are going back2back

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Prediction: We are going back2back

mah .jpg

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yessssssssssssss!!!!!! I see a back to back in the future...This team lost a lot of close games in spite of the injuries. I think they are once again being under estimated. Let's sit back and enjoy the ride.....The Drive for Five was great......But Seeking The Bliss Of Six is EVEN BETTER!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1.Dubs
    2.Spurs
    3.Memphis
    4.Rox
    5.Mavs
    6.Clippers
    7.Blazers
    8.OKC

Can't get better than that, realistically
    That would be pretty favorable. Replacing OKC with the Suns might even be better (even though it gives the Dubs an easier opener, it eliminates one of the major threats to the Spurs.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just two weeks ago, people were debating whether the Spurs would win 50 this season-- that seems laughable now. I see them finishing in the 2 to 4 range, but if the Warriors experience any missed time from Curry-- even just 7-10 games-- it's definitely possible for the Spurs to reach #1.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think we'll get higher than 3 tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I totally butchered that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Okc won't finish 8th. They will be at least 7. Do you truly believe Okc isn't going to pass Phoenix??? I think everyone here is praying Okc and GS meet in the first RD, and it ain't happenin. Its more likely the Spurs finish 2 and Okc finishes 7. The Clips drop to 8. Chew on that.
    OKC needs to pass Phoenix to get 8th seed. they would need to pass San Antonio or the Clippers to get 7. Chew on that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OKC needs to pass Phoenix to get 8th seed. they would need to pass San Antonio or the Clippers to get 7. Chew on that
    I saw that. I misread the standings. For some reason I already thought OKC was already 8. I guess its plausible. I know it's a long shot. But maybe the Clippers fall.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs will be 3 or 4 by the all-star break. Getting to number 2 by the end of the regular season is quite possible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My original prediction at the very beginning of the season was 1st or 2nd seed. Obviously, GS will have #1, but hey... no complaints from me. We'll just have to wait and see...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs will be 3 or 4 by the all-star break. Getting to number 2 by the end of the regular season is quite possible.

Cheers! That's very interesting. I could see us passing the Rockets and Clippers before the break.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I said in the other thread MEM and DAL are not going to lose many games. The Spurs will have a tough enough time even finishing 2nd seed in their DIVISION.

It would take more than a small miracle and a big injury, so I think it's safe to say no way Spurs finish 2nd.

GSW
    MEM/DAL
    SAS/HOU
    POR/OK/LAC
    IDK, Mem/Dal/Hou are only 4/3/2 game ahead of us respectably in the loss column.

Some upcoming games-

Grizzlies - hosts Toronto, OKC, Atlanta and at Dallas*, Phoenix and OKC*
    Rockets - hosts Dallas, Chicago and Portland and at GSW, Phoenix x2, Clippers*
    Mavs- hosts Chicago, Memphis, Portland and Clippers and at Houston*, GSW and New Orleans
    TrailBlazers- hosts Washington and at Phoenix, Cleveland, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston*

Those guys have much tougher schedules than we do coming up (considering our next like 8 games are at home) and our toughest month is out of the way, and hopefully all the injuries. I think the 2 seed is very much possible. Especially with Aldridge potentially missing some time I remember when we caught OKC at the last minute we were like 3 or 4 games back late in the season and we overtook them with a late surge.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Agreed... Didn't even catch this when I posted

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cheers! That's very interesting. I could see us passing the Rockets and Clippers before the break.
    And Portland if LA misses significant time

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's definitely possible as long as the Spurs stay healthy.

all those meltdowns posters had about the Spurs missing the playoffs last month

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just stay healthy... the rest will all come together, IMO

Thread Information