Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    According to Gervin, Thompson didn't break his record.

"I'd like to see him try to get 33 or 37 in a quarter when there wasn't no three-point line," Gervin said. "I don't feel—and it's funny, everybody laughs—I don't feel he broke my record," Gervin told Howard Beck of Bleacher Report. "I feel he set a new record. He set a new record for the new NBA.

"Think about it, man. That's like if we're going to have a race, and you start on the 50-yard line and I start on the 1-yard line and we're doing a 100-yard race. It's not even."

The NBA did not adopt a 3-point line until the 1979-80 season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Truth nukes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's gotta point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobody really mentioned that when they talked about this record on Sportscenter.

But the question you have to ask is, could Gervin have taken advantage of the 3-point line if it had existed in his time?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But the question you have to ask is, could Gervin have taken advantage of the 3-point line if it had existed in his time?
    Based on what I saw, yes.

As far as stats go, he hit .417 one year from three and he was a career .844 shooter from the FT line.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simple math. Give Klay 2 pts for his 3s and he comes up short. I still think they should count all shots before half court as 4 pts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The question on my mind - is it harder to make 3's vs layups/midrange?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Layups have to get by bugs and might land on floor
    Three point shots most of the time you do not land on floor

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The question on my mind - is it harder to make 3's vs layups/midrange?
    I believe the research says the expected value is higher for 3s, especially corner 3s, than for most 2-point shots.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Klay Thompson won't ever get close to the kind of scoring machine Gervin was.
    So it's a fun stat I guess but also misleading.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First thing I thought of when the record was broken.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's stupid though, if you're pointing out that it's totally different because basketball changed as a sport with the ins ution of the three point line then doesn't the road run both ways? Your record is no longer applicable to the sport we play today? So your record is what, ing ETERNAL now if any of those points higher than your total come from the three point line? Dudes gotta play like it's 1978?
    I love the Iceman but I'm always not-down with old basketball players ing and moaning about contemporary trends and players (it's getting even ing worse with dudes from the 90s or dudes STILL in the league like Kobe, back in my day blahblahblahblah grit heart DANG THESE STATS!!!) and I'm not really changing that opinion because he happens to be a Spur. Retired players unable to play anymore, stuck in the past, just grasping at whatever they can in the present, often diminishing the achievements of contemporary players, whatever dude stop shouting at me to get off your lawn.
    You better believe this just makes him look like a petty hater to all the non-Spurs NBA fans unless they're specialized fetishizers of the past or ing Bill Simmons. Like sorry dude, I'm pretty sure most of those glorious classic Celtics teams would look like old men on the court in today's NBA.
    And before you start ranting about monkeyball vs. b-ball IQ and all that bull , we wouldn't be anywhere in this current era without Kawhi Leonard's athleticism and physical abilities so you can stick that racist Eurotrash bull right back up your ass (UUUHHH YOU'RE RUNNING FASTER AND JUMPING HIGHER IN THIS SPORT OF BASKETBALL, HOW DARE YOU FILTHY AMERICANS!!!!! WHAT WE ARE BAD AT IS CLEARLY CHEAP AND DUMB!!!!). Except for a set number of old legends (including admittedly dudes like the Iceman, and obviously Wilt was enough of a unique specimen to own the top athletes of today's age) a lot of those dudes would get totally owned by today's athletes.

Retired athletes just need to be able to nod, smile, and go, "Not bad young fella". Keep that petty "BUT WAIT A MINUTE!!!!!" to yourself dude. There's a reason it's funny. There's a reason everyone laughs.
    Last edited by Godbama; 01-28-2015 at 09:35 PM.

Don't lose. You're cool. Canibspur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    33 of em. The hard way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's stupid though, if you're pointing out that it's totally different because basketball changed as a sport with the ins ution of the three point line then doesn't the road run both ways? Your record is no longer applicable to the sport we play today? So your record is what, ing ETERNAL now if any of those points higher than your total come from the three point line? Dudes gotta play like it's 1978?
    I love the Iceman but I'm always not-down with old basketball players ing and moaning about contemporary trends and players (it's getting even ing worse with dudes from the 90s or dudes STILL in the league like Kobe, back in my day blahblahblahblah grit heart DANG THESE STATS!!!) and I'm not really changing that opinion because he happens to be a Spur. Retired players unable to play anymore, stuck in the past, just grasping at whatever they can in the present, often diminishing the achievements of contemporary players, whatever dude stop shouting at me to get off your lawn.
    You better believe this just makes him look like a petty hater to all the non-Spurs NBA fans unless they're specialized fetishizers of the past or ing Bill Simmons. Like sorry dude, I'm pretty sure most of those glorious classic Celtics teams would look like old men on the court in today's NBA.
    And before you start ranting about monkeyball vs. b-ball IQ and all that bull , we wouldn't be anywhere in this current era without Kawhi Leonard's athleticism and physical abilities so you can stick that racist Eurotrash bull right back up your ass (UUUHHH YOU'RE RUNNING FASTER AND JUMPING HIGHER IN THIS SPORT OF BASKETBALL, HOW DARE YOU FILTHY AMERICANS!!!!! WHAT WE ARE BAD AT IS CLEARLY CHEAP AND DUMB!!!!). Except for a set number of old legends (including admittedly dudes like the Iceman, and obviously Wilt was enough of a unique specimen to own the top athletes of today's age) a lot of those dudes would get totally owned by today's athletes.

Retired athletes just need to be able to nod, smile, and go, "Not bad young fella". Keep that petty "BUT WAIT A MINUTE!!!!!" to yourself dude. There's a reason it's funny. There's a reason everyone laughs.
    What a bunch of horse . Spoken like a true Millennial or young person who never watched the NBA when it wasn't watered-down like it is now. Yes, get the off the lawn. No one is laughing at Ice or considering him a petty hater for his comments - but you. Dude followed up his 20 pt first quarter with 33 in the second. He doesn't have to grab at straws for respect. He earned it with multiple scoring les, not some fluke game.

This isn't about glorifying one's heyday either. The difference in talent level between today's NBA and what it was in the past is significant. Haven't you learned anything from watching the Spurs? What good does athleticism do for you when you get intentionally fouled because you can't make a ing FT - Dwight Howard, DeAndre Jordan...? Nothing.

Many of today's players would cry like pussies if they played back in the day with the Lakers, Pistons and Celtics of the 80's. It was a much more physical game - no flopping, no flagrant fouls, no sympathy. I don't care how fast, agile or strong today's athletes are, if they didn't have the skills to go along with their athleticism, they wouldn't last on the court.

Basketball smarts and talent will always trump athleticism. You think a 6'9 Magic Johnson would get schooled nowadays? You think a guy like John Stockton would struggle against today's point guards? I don't remember him dunking very often but he's the all-time assist and steals leader.

SMH at youthful ignorance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i know this is a homer board, but lol he's just a salty old man

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What a bunch of horse . Spoken like a true Millennial-
    lmao you already immediately lost me and invalidated everything you had to say with that trite cornball bull dude, please write a 1-2 page rant about "en lement" and "kids these days". Or maybe you already just did, I stopped reading right there, I don't battle living breathing clichés.

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

vvvvvvv
    Last edited by Godbama; 01-29-2015 at 12:56 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basketball without 3-pointers isn't really basketball, tbh..

The last time I played on the street and the 3-point line on one side of the court was worn off, so these s wanted to play without 3s..I literally sat out, that's not real basketball..this isn't the ing 70s..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lmao you already immediately lost me and invalidated everything you had to say with that trite cornball bull dude, please write a 1-2 page rant about "en lement" and "kids these days". Or maybe you already just did, I stopped reading right there, I don't battle living breathing clichés.

vvvvvvv
    There are currently some posters downstairs bashing today's players because they aren't treating the dunk contest like it's game 7 of the Finals..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, but Klay had 37

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    George had a bunch of years to say he wanted his record nullified since the NBA is "new" but he didn't say until it was broken. He rode that record for all it was worth even during the "new NBA". Old stars living on en lement, hangers on. They annoy the out of me. Imagine a retired guy hanging out at your work celebrating every achievement the company makes, as if he still works there. David, this is about you too..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Did I? Did I already immediately lose you and invalidated everything...what the is wrong with you?

And you call me cliche. Every word of your ignorantly worded comeback vindicates my point. You don't know , you can't write and you act like your the only kid who's ever been filled with know-it-all angst. And yes, you read the whole ing thing. But hey, go on son...carpe ing diem.

Last edited by tmtcsc; 01-29-2015 at 03:22 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    George had a bunch of years to say he wanted his record nullified since the NBA is "new" but he didn't say until it was broken. He rode that record for all it was worth even during the "new NBA". Old stars living on en lement, hangers on. They annoy the out of me. Imagine a retired guy hanging out at your work celebrating every achievement the company makes, as if he still works there. David, this is about you too..
    Wow. David owns part of the team. But hey, by all means, he should stay the out of the building - him being a has-been and all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i know this is a homer board, but lol he's just a salty old man
    I saw it as that as well, he might not be dead on 100% wrong on this but he sure is not right either. He is salty as lol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did I? Did I already immediately lose you and invalidated everything...what the is wrong with you?

And you call me cliche. Every word of your ignorantly worded comeback vindicates my point. You don't know , you can't write and you act like your the only kid who's ever been filled with know-it-all angst. And yes, you read the whole ing thing. But hey, go on son...carpe ing diem.

hey lol if it makes you feel better about taking the time for that ace Huffington Post blog content I immediately ignored under the assumption it was the equivalent of an old man fart, then sure I read absolutely every word Mr. angry living example of nostalgia bias. I wish you'd at least remember the millennial cliche of us having super short attention spans tho and not just selectively be the neighbor from Dennis the Menace, because if you actually think I read that then lmao. If you wanted millennial readers you needed to keep it tweet-length (TRITE MILLENNIAL BURN!!! turns out I can be you better than you, actually).
    then again for a guy with over THREE THOUSAND POSTS (lmFao) I doubt you really care if anyone's reading them anymore. you could actually be Bill Simmons IRL, in which case who cares if a DANG EN LED WHIPPERSNAPPER like me reads what you have to say anyway. I mean I don't really need to read it anyway, let me just summarize: "DANG X/Y THESE DAYS ISN'T ANYWHERE AS GOOD AS IT USED TO BE!!!111".
    damn never heard THAT hot take before! Do you also have some totally profound thoughts on music these days? MILEY CYRUS JUSTIN BIEBER INSTAGRAM TWITTER MILLENIALS FART FART FART FART LEMME TELL YOU WHAT I THINK ABOUT HIP HOP THESE DAYS FART FART FART FART

do not go gentle into that good night

(p.s. do you smell like old people yet?)

(p.p.s. are you actually Lou Dobbs???)

(p.p.p.s. it's all love, person who will definitely be dead long before I am, I will keep your spirit alive by shouting at 18 year olds in 2045 and telling them basketball in 2014 was way way way better than this cybernetic pussified bull !!!!!)
    Last edited by Godbama; 01-29-2015 at 04:11 AM.

Thread Information