Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What were you expecting tbh? I was more disappointed with the actual sequence between Rais and Crane, much like how you "fight" Sauron at the end of SoM. But I hadn't done any sidequests when I beat it so I had tons of game to play
    That's exactly my complaint. Not the ending, but the QTE.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At least Crane ed his up in the end, but yeah, I would've liked to fight him like Tahir at least

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's exactly my complaint. Not the ending, but the QTE.
    It wouldn't have made sense to make it a boss fight since Rais should be a lot weaker than some of the zombies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It wouldn't have made sense to make it a boss fight since Rais should be a lot weaker than some of the zombies.
    So take Kyle's weapons away, or cripple him somehow. Rais could have juiced on some zombie genetics and become a one-armed monster. Anything is better than a QTE.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So take Kyle's weapons away, or cripple him somehow. Rais could have juiced on some zombie genetics and become a one-armed monster. Anything is better than a QTE.
    I'm fine with it. The hard part of that mission is getting to Rais along all those narrow beams and ledges. I couldn't picture Rais infecting himself, he's not a moron.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm fine with it. The hard part of that mission is getting to Rais along all those narrow beams and ledges. I couldn't picture Rais infecting himself, he's not a moron.
    One thing that game does better than almost any other is the sense you get of being up high. I've never really felt leery of heights in a game before (not a fan of them IRL), but DL definitely made my stomach feel a little strange a couple of times.

I can't wait to try a game like this out with the Rift.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing that game does better than almost any other is the sense you get of being up high. I've never really felt leery of heights in a game before (not a fan of them IRL), but DL definitely made my stomach feel a little strange a couple of times.

If it ever comes out..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You use Crossfire 6950's right? How does Dying Light perform on your system? I heard the game still doesn't have a Crossfire profile and the Tom's Hardware benchmark shows horrible performance for AMD cards.

What settings do you use and what kind of framerates do you get?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You use Crossfire 6950's right? How does Dying Light perform on your system? I heard the game still doesn't have a Crossfire profile and the Tom's Hardware benchmark shows horrible performance for AMD cards.

I was having some FPS drops recently, more so than ever before.. I didn't realize how much VRAM was being taken up on high textures.. that is easily over 3.5 GB's (2GB 680).. I turned them down to medium and then maxed everything else even draw distance and get 60 FPS with hardly ever a drop.. The only thing I keep off because it's absolutely re ed is Nvidia DoF.. even off there is still DoF effects, so I don't see why I would eliminate 20 FPS for it.

Also, what do you guys think about SLI? I want to upgrade my card, and I don't think the 980 Ti is coming until 2016.. Was considering SLI 970's, the benchmarks show almost twice the power of a 980.. My only concern in a possible lack of support for SLI, or other issues related to dual cards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was having some FPS drops recently, more so than ever before.. I didn't realize how much VRAM was being taken up on high textures.. that is easily over 3.5 GB's (2GB 680).. I turned them down to medium and then maxed everything else even draw distance and get 60 FPS with hardly ever a drop.. The only thing I keep off because it's absolutely re ed is Nvidia DoF.. even off there is still DoF effects, so I don't see why I would eliminate 20 FPS for it.

Also, what do you guys think about SLI? I want to upgrade my card, and I don't think the 980 Ti is coming until 2016.. Was considering SLI 970's, the benchmarks show almost twice the power of a 980.. My only concern in a possible lack of support for SLI, or other issues related to dual cards.

I haven't seen that kind of VRAM usage since 1.2.0, when my 970 mostly stayed at 3.5GB but sometimes went as high as 3.7GB with everything maxed out except shadow map size and draw distance around 50%. From 1.4.0 and on my VRAM usage is under 3GB at the same settings except with draw distance a little higher. I have always run it with AA since the game seems mostly CPU bottlenecked with a 970. DOF doesn't seem to give my 970 much of a performance hit and I always have it on. Shadow map size is a huge performance killer for me if I run it very high instead of high. Drops me from steady low 60s to steady low 50s when I have VSync off.

I think you'd be nuts to do 970 SLI with the slow 0.5GB of VRAM on it. No way this card's going to age that well. And 980 SLI at about $1200 is crazy, I'd rather just get a single an X for $1000 and not have to deal with SLI profiles and crap. I'm not sure we'll see a 980 Ti like we did with the 780 Ti. The 780 Ti was the full version of the original an with half the VRAM, but I don't think anything is disabled in the an X this time (original an was a 780 Ti with 1/8 of the card disabled and with extra VRAM). And the 980 is the fully enabled GM204 chip. I think they'll eventually release a 960 Ti that's a cut down GM 204 with 192 bit bus and 3GB of VRAM, as there is just an enormous performance gap (~50%) between the 960 and 970. And of course a $140 price gap too. It'll probably be needed when AMD drops the R9 300 series with midrange cards that should all over the 960.

I think you'd be best off sticking with your 680 right now and waiting for Pascal and HBM in 2016. Supposedly that will smash anything Nvidia has right now with Maxwell. If you just need something to hold out until then get a 970, as it plays most games at 1080p ultra at close to locked 60 FPS. I know you say you like reference cards, but don't get a reference 970 if you go that route. The Gigabyte G1 Gaming is often capable of boosting to and beyond 1500 MHz. I have the EVGA SC ACX 2.0 and it's only really stable up to 1420 MHz or so boost, supposedly they recycled 760 PCBs in their 970s and 980s. Obviously not talking about the really high end like the 980 Classifieds though.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 03-23-2015 at 09:44 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I set textures to medium and the draw distance to half, and maxed almost everything else and it runs really well. I get the occasional hiccup but overall it's very smooth and absolutely gorgeous. I probably get around 50 FPS, but of course if I cranked to max settings it would drop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I set textures to medium and the draw distance to half, and maxed almost everything else and it runs really well. I get the occasional hiccup but overall it's very smooth and absolutely gorgeous. I probably get around 50 FPS, but of course if I cranked to max settings it would drop.
    Is that only after 1.5 or has it always run like that? That's a lot better than I was expecting. So I guess it's using both GPUs to get that level of performance?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm amazed at how good Dying Light looks even on low. Far Cry 4 also looks pretty awesome on low. Makes me feel like a 970 was a waste of money tbh. But then you have games like Crysis 3 that are night and day better on very high than on high. Haven't even tried that on medium since high is such a step down.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is that only after 1.5 or has it always run like that? That's a lot better than I was expecting. So I guess it's using both GPUs to get that level of performance?
    After 1.5. I didn't play it when it was released (i.e., broken and using like 10 gigs of RAM), but after the first patch I've had a pretty good experience.

And yes, the game is *incredibly* gorgeous. Jaw dropping at times, even. Them sun shafts baby. When in the middle of a mission and you realize there's 30 minutes until sundown.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After 1.5. I didn't play it when it was released (i.e., broken and using like 10 gigs of RAM), but after the first patch I've had a pretty good experience.

And yes, the game is *incredibly* gorgeous. Jaw dropping at times, even. Them sun shafts baby. When in the middle of a mission and you realize there's 30 minutes until sundown.
    I love the film grain too, and the eerie music, like I'm starring in some 1970s grindhouse B-movie. The immersion is incredible in it. I haven't played it in a few weeks since I'm playing Dragon Age Inquisition right now, but once I'm done with that I think I'll be ready for another playthrough (DAI is awesome, but no Dying Light for sure). I really love a single-player sandbox action-RPG with a great storyline, which is why my favorite games are GTA Vice City, GTA San Andreas, Skyrim, and Dying Light.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 03-23-2015 at 10:34 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If you are going to do SLI 970s, do it now when the best 970 on the market is only $320

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125684

And then give me the second Witcher 3 code

Last edited by baseline bum; 03-24-2015 at 09:12 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Figured you'd be interested in this video since you're considering 970 SLI:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Figured you'd be interested in this video since you're considering 970 SLI:

damn.. the raw FPS on the SLI 970 is misleading.. thanks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    damn.. the raw FPS on the SLI 970 is misleading.. thanks
    What do you mean? It seems to hold its own pretty well in their tests except when using settings that are unplayable on 980 SLI even. Or are you referring to the stutter in SLI period? Seems like you'll see less stutter in single card setups.

Eurogamer is by far my #1 resource since they do the FCAT testing to quantify smoothness.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 03-26-2015 at 11:07 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    baseline bum

So.. after a ton of consideration, I finally made my decision on a new monitor. I wanted the RoG Swift, but was concerned over the potential QA issues, and also at the complaints on Asus' terrible customer service on RMA's. I saw one guy who said he would call multiple times in a day, and could never even reach a CSR. If I did go with a higher res monitor, I would also want a newer GPU, but I'm gonna wait for the next major increase before I make that jump.

So, I decided on the Acer XB270H.. It's a 1080p monitor, but that's still fine for me. It's a little bigger than my current monitor at 27", and includes all the bells and whistles I wanted.. G-Sync, 144hz, 1ms, 3D and ULMB.. Plus, got it on sale for 449.00, 454.00 w/ 3 day shipping.

I'm looking forward to some BF4 and CSGO on this . Arma 3 should benefit big too, that averages about 40-50 frames for me, so the G-Sync should help a lot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    baseline bum

So.. after a ton of consideration, I finally made my decision on a new monitor. I wanted the RoG Swift, but was concerned over the potential QA issues, and also at the complaints on Asus' terrible customer service on RMA's. I saw one guy who said he would call multiple times in a day, and could never even reach a CSR. If I did go with a higher res monitor, I would also want a newer GPU, but I'm gonna wait for the next major increase before I make that jump.

So, I decided on the Acer XB270H.. It's a 1080p monitor, but that's still fine for me. It's a little bigger than my current monitor at 27", and includes all the bells and whistles I wanted.. G-Sync, 144hz, 1ms, 3D and ULMB.. Plus, got it on sale for 449.00, 454.00 w/ 3 day shipping.

I'm looking forward to some BF4 and CSGO on this . Arma 3 should benefit big too, that averages about 40-50 frames for me, so the G-Sync should help a lot.
    Is ARMA III worth playing? , if you're getting 40-50 FPS on an unlocked i5 I'll probably be lucky to get 30-40 on a locked i5

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is ARMA III worth playing? , if you're getting 40-50 FPS on an unlocked i5 I'll probably be lucky to get 30-40 on a locked i5
    When Arma 3 is functioning reasonably, there's no game better IMO. That game is a ing blast with a squad of people cooperating and communicating. It's also got a load of mods so you can add in weapons, camo, and all kinds of other .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So the verdict is in..

G-Sync is the .. Dying Light has never been so ing smooth.. The choppy hiccups and huge frame drops on a view of the city, or in heavily infested city squares are a thing of the past. The 1ms helps too, is so much clearer when running compared to my 7ms.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So the verdict is in..

G-Sync is the .. Dying Light has never been so ing smooth.. The choppy hiccups and huge frame drops on a view of the city, or in heavily infested city squares are a thing of the past. The 1ms helps too, is so much clearer when running compared to my 7ms.
    Nice. So it's a night and day difference? What's the lowest sustained framerate with GSync that looks like 60 FPS to you?

Thread Information