My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    http://www.nba.com/2015/news/feature...ead/index.html

Some really good quotes. Just an overall awesome read.

"His ego, it's in check,'' said Popovich. "We talk about getting over yourself. He's definitely gotten over himself. He doesn't put himself before anybody. You still have to have enough of an ego to have that drive to want to put your foot in somebody's neck and compete and defeat them, and understand that that's a guy you're going against and you want to come out on top. And he has that. He has that fire in his belly.''
    "Once you get to know him, you see that he's a hard worker, that he is trying to fit in and not to just do his thing,'' said Ginobili of Leonard. "He's not the most communicative, so he's not the one who is going to be asking questions, like, 'How do you do this?' or 'How was it for you in the beginning?' But you can tell that he wants to learn and that he observes and that he works. He's self-confident, but he doesn't show it. He has a lot of humility. He knows he's a great player and he's going to be better, but he doesn't express it constantly. So he's different from a lot of the guys you see these days.''
    "This is a story we tell our young guys,'' said Hutson. "On Saturday mornings we have mandatory strength and conditioning in the fall before the season starts. The guys would get out and run on the field and lift, and most guys would leave after that. But every time, Kawhi would go find a gym and shoot after that. Every time. Not once, and not every now and then. It was every time. That was something that was mandatory in his eyes.''

tangina ka, though FireMicoHalili's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thank God there are ways to praise Kawhi without bringing down his teammates

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's crazy how Kawhi fits the Spurs mold so well, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just started reading it and already found a mistake. How does this make it online without someone pointing out that Tim has 5 rings and is going for his 6th?

lol nba journalism

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with pop that you need a little bit of ego to be the best, but i dont really agree with Leonard having a leadership role...Best players need not be leaders all the time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with pop that you need a little bit of ego to be the best, but i dont really agree with Leonard having a leadership role...Best players need not be leaders all the time.
    I agree with this sentiment in general, but this team really does need a defensive leader, and the logical person for that is Kawhi.

It took Pop years to get Timmy to be vocal with his teammates. It is just a developmental thing, I think. Pop wants leadership to come from the guys on the floor. He doesn't want to be the guy doing all the checking and teaching and leading. He just thinks the team works better that way, I think.

If you notice, Manu has been much more vocal and instructive over the last two months than I have EVER seen him, honestly. I don't care who it comes from on the court as long as SOMEONE out there is taking the role, but Manu has rarely been the floor leader that he has been of late.

Even Kawhi is on record as saying "I don't want it (the required leadership role) to hit me in the face when I'm not expecting it." So he knows it is coming. They are all working on it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just started reading it and already found a mistake. How does this make it online without someone pointing out that Tim has 5 rings and is going for his 6th?

lol nba journalism
    Yeah, saw that too. The writer must have missed the finals last year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, saw that too. The writer must have missed the finals last year.
    Just like everyone not named LeBron James from Miami's standpoint.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its really a personality, maturity issue. Tim stood back and waited for a number of years till he got comfortable. Now it's Ginobili and Duncan who do most of the constructive talking to others when Pop is not. Leonard is not ready for this either imo. Sheer ability alone does not grant one this role. I think this is true in almost every team sport.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thank God there are ways to praise Kawhi without bringing down his teammates

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good read. But the article was generally just way too long.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Kawhi wants to be a max player and wants to be the guy to be the face of the spurs he needs to be a leader and be more vocal and critical of his teammates including the big three, being the leader of the spurs is what Kawhi needs to do for the spurs to be successful in the future.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TBH I don't think its in him to be a leader. He's even more reserved than what Tim was when he was his age.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TBH I don't think its in him to be a leader. He's even more reserved than what Tim was when he was his age.
    He was more expressive in the last interviews.

However, sometimes a good leader lets his game speak for him and motivates his teammates with his plays. We know he can do it very well.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel the opposite actually. He isn't causing unwanted drama and that is a sign of maturity. He knows when he'll take charge. Right after duncan and manu retire.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi needs to be vocal to Manu and Parker

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    great article, thanks for posting it OP.

I don't think Kawhi will ever be really vocal, imo. Just doesn't seem to be how he's wired. But I think he can get better at it. He strikes me as a lead by example type.

Thread Information