Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Post Count
    Time to get some of those big ol lousiana boys to sa..

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    5 star running backs on the way!

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count

Also lost in the coaching search shuffle:

Post Count

Post Count
    5 star running backs on the way!
    Maybe some good 3-star backs though... that would be an upgrade.

Post Count
    Horrible hire in my opinion.

He's only been a position coach/recruiter. It's easy recruiting at LSU. It's the only P5 school in a state loaded with talent. LSU has recruited well way before Wilson got there. I'm sure he will recruit solidly, but he has no coordinating experience. Just because he's a good recruiter, doesn't mean he will be able to coach these guys up.

This guy was clamoring for the Tulane job and the New Orleans media was hyping him up because he could recruit well and was from the NOLA area. Tulane hired a similar guy instead in Curtis Johnson who could recruit well, but couldn't coach worth a . When Tulane fired Johnson after this past season, people in the NOLA area were clamoring for Wilson again, but Tulane rightfully went with a proven winner at head coach in Willie Fritz. Wilson doesn't have that kind of experience as a coach.

Memphis hired a similar guy to Wilson in Larry Porter in 2010-2011. He was the RB coach at LSU for 5 seasons and known as a big time recruiter. His record at Memphis in two seasons was 3-21. The guy had no idea how to run a program or coach up players.

I could be wrong and will be the first to admit so, but I think UTSA will have the same fate with Wilson. Being a head coach will be too much for him. UTSA should have hired someone who has led a winning program whether it was from the FCS or a lower level FBS conference.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    Horrible hire in my opinion.

He's only been a position coach/recruiter. It's easy recruiting at LSU. It's the only P5 school in a state loaded with talent. LSU has recruited well way before Wilson got there. I'm sure he will recruit solidly, but he has no coordinating experience. Just because he's a good recruiter, doesn't mean he will be able to coach these guys up.

This guy was clamoring for the Tulane job and the New Orleans media was hyping him up because he could recruit well and was from the NOLA area. Tulane hired a similar guy instead in Curtis Johnson who could recruit well, but couldn't coach worth a . When Tulane fired Johnson after this past season, people in the NOLA area were clamoring for Wilson again, but Tulane rightfully went with a proven winner at head coach in Willie Fritz. Wilson doesn't have that kind of experience as a coach.

Memphis hired a similar guy to Wilson in Larry Porter in 2010-2011. He was the RB coach at LSU for 5 seasons and known as a big time recruiter. His record at Memphis in two seasons was 3-21. The guy had no idea how to run a program or coach up players.

I could be wrong and will be the first to admit so, but I think UTSA will have the same fate with Wilson. Being a head coach will be too much for him. UTSA should have hired someone who has led a winning program whether it was from the FCS or a lower level FBS conference.
    His inexperience is part of the reason why I was in the Spencer camp. I remembered Johnson from Tulane and how that turned out. He was successful in turning a New Orleans high school around though which somewhat eased those concerns. Then I saw his press conference and heard his interviews and I was sold. Well spoken and dude brought a schedule of his 22-day plan (leading up to NSD) for the program to his interview before he even got the job. He also took a paycut to be a HC so he's hungry.

Only time will tell though. It's definitely a high risk, high reward hire.

Post Count
    You have to take risks when you have the budget UTSA has (which is quite low). I think he's a good hire.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Hard to hit a home run hire at head coach for $800k. No matter who they had hired, UTSA is probably gonna have at least three or four losing seasons in a row.

I think they swung as well as they could playing with a wiffle bat

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    No matter who they had hired, UTSA is probably gonna have at least three or four losing seasons in a row.
    No.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Sorry but you don't get to have Nick Saban for 800k.

Not even Dennis Fran tbh

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count

Not even Dennis Fran tbh
    $800k coaches can't have winning seasons?

Check Fran's salary at TxSt.

My Team
    Texas State Bobcats
    Post Count

Not even Dennis Fran tbh
    fran was only making $425k

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Wow, I guess they could have Fran after all.

Lol

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    $800k coaches can't have winning seasons?

Check Fran's salary at TxSt.
    Of course they can, but it's the current state of utsa football plus the brutal out of conference schedules that make losing seasons a probability more than a possibility.

And then not being able to hire a top flight coach makes it that much harder.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    Of course they can, but it's the current state of utsa football plus the brutal out of conference schedules that make losing seasons a probability more than a possibility.

And then not being able to hire a top flight coach makes it that much harder.
    2015 was supposed to be a down year. It was mostly all underclassmen. Major changes happened not because expectations were high but because there was gross incompetence shown at times by the coaching staff. It's unfair to automatically assume that because these guys didn't win as freshman they won't win as upperclassmen.

Take a look at upcoming UTSA schedules. OOC eases up starting this upcoming season.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    That's the spirit. Set yourself up for disappointment so we'll see lol posts like these again:

We suck. Not like last year's kind of suck but like bottom 3 in all of FBS kind of suck. Drawing attention to the program is probably the last thing I want to do right now.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    Oh ok. Guess instead I should just assume a new coaching staff+players getting older will produce the same ty results.

Post Count
    A 6-6 season should be expected in year 2.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    If you choose to go DI and get accepted I expect to be able to hire coaches. What about DII or III coaches who have winning programs? I am worried about hiring a coattail DI "coach"

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Oh ok. Guess instead I should just assume a new coaching staff+players getting older will produce the same ty results.
    I'm assuming the same results for the foreseeable future. What results exactly are you assuming?

Post Count
    If you choose to go DI and get accepted I expect to be able to hire coaches. What about DII or III coaches who have winning programs? I am worried about hiring a coattail DI "coach"
    They could have hired a successful FCS coach or an excellent coordinator from a higher level conference whether P5 or AAC. But they chose to go with a recruiting coordinator.

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count

My Team
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Post Count
    A 6-6 season should be expected in year 2.
    Agree.

Post Count
    All but one assistant coach was let go (WR coach stays).

Thread Information