Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    Washington Redskins
    Post Count
    I guess everyone is starting there own team thread, so it.

I was hoping Cofield would stay, as he was pretty good in the run game, and great at diagnosing plays from what his teammates were saying. He wasn't willing to restructure his contract though, but he said there is a possibility he may return. It seems like the Redskins will draft either Leonard Williams(if he falls), or Danny Shelton so if he does return he will probably move to opening starting position with Hatcher playing RE. Hopefully Cofield can stay healthy also.

So glad to see Bowen gone, he couldn't stay healthy either, and the signing yesterday of Ricky Jean Francois, who is a much better play imo, pretty much was the final nail in the coffin that Bowen would be gone with his huge salary. Both these cuts save the Redskins a little less than $10 million in salary, and expect the Redskins to make 2-3 more cuts to get them around $30 million in cap space.

I was ehh on Compton last year, I though he was better than that trash Polumbus though but he didn't do anything that stood out. Callahan seems high on him, and brought Compton back for cheap, but I rather them work on Morgan Moses there third round pick last year who was pretty bad during his rookie season, or possibly bring in Jeremy Parnell from Dallas one of Callahan's boys for an immediate fix.

Damn!!! A Trent Williams & Mike Iupati left side of the offensive line would be beastly!!! Whoever our running back would be, better be averaging at least five yards per carry on the left side . Hopefully McCloughan who has San Francisco ties as there GM after Iupati was drafted the year he left, get an inside track on him. Plus his college coach is now the Redskins defensive line coach!

Kyle Orton & bigzak25 feel free to give your thoughts HTTR!

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    Iupati will be in high demand. The Raiders will probably show interest but I suspect they'll end up snagging Justin Blalock who was just cut by the Falcons. Mike Tice was his OL coach last year and now he's with us.

That's just my assumption, but if its true, thats one less big bidder for Iupati

My Team
    Washington Redskins
    Post Count
    Iupati will be in high demand. The Raiders will probably show interest but I suspect they'll end up snagging Justin Blalock who was just cut by the Falcons. Mike Tice was his OL coach last year and now he's with us.

That's just my assumption, but if its true, thats one less big bidder for Iupati
    I can see Raiders being a threat because he would just have to go across the bay to play football, and the amount of money the Raiders can offer him and still be way over the cap. As long as he is getting away from San Francisco, and the NFC I'm good.

My Team
    Washington Redskins
    Post Count
    Looking forward to the draft this year with a real GM. Hope we move down and pick up some picks and/or trade rape someone looking to get mariota. Free agency in a couple weeks but Scott said he isn't historically a big player in FA. We will see I guess

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    i'm serious, giving 10 per year to iupati would be the best move the redskins have ever made.

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    I put a lot into that coach/QB combo. Ya know..

Lombardi/Starr
    Landry/Staubach
    Walsh/Montana
    Noll/Bradshaw
    Belichick/Brady

etc etc

The Redskins have a bad combo.

My Team
    Washington Redskins
    Post Count
    Looking forward to the draft this year with a real GM. Hope we move down and pick up some picks and/or trade rape someone looking to get mariota. Free agency in a couple weeks but Scott said he isn't historically a big player in FA. We will see I guess
    I want Leonard Williams, or Danny Shelton so bad! They're both the safest picks also tbh, and think they will be top 5 players at there positions within a few years imo. A few guys with questionable flaws that will drop to the middle, and late first round but as you mentioned we have a GM now with a great track record of picks so no matter who he picks there is something intriguing about that player. If the Browns offer the 12th,19th and 43rd this year, and a first and second round pick in next years draft for the 5th pick that would be extremely intriguing fwiw if they really want Mariota that much, same with the Eagles don't want want to give those ers a possible franchise quarterback under Kelly's system without a few first round picks and seconds. Last I heard Eagles offered there first and fourth round pick this year, and first and fourth next year for the fifth pick, but it sounds like Scot said no!

i'm serious, giving 10 per year to iupati would be the best move the redskins have ever made.
    As Kyle mentioned our new GM seems to not be to big in free agency compared to Bruce Allen, but I know he will go hard after Iupati because our defensive line coach used to be his head coach in college, plus our guards were garbage last year, and with us buying Bill Callahan from the Cowboys he would love a top five guard in the league like Iupati imo like he had with Zack Martin's play this year.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    10 per for a guard is ridiculous, especially for a guy who had a down year and didn't seem 100% from his injury from the 2013 NFCCG

the highest paid guard in the nfl gets 8.5 right now

My Team
    Washington Redskins
    Post Count

Did a great job stepping in for Doug Free last year. New Redskins offensive line coach, and former Dallas Cowboys offensive line coach Bill Callahan loves him, and hopes he follows him from Dallas to DC. Would be a short term fix, but I would like to see if Morgan Moses our third round pick from last year can compete for right tackle in training camp after a pretty bad rookie season.

Had a nice year with Chicago with six sack, would be our starting left end if he signs with us. Shocked that the Bears aren't interested in bringing him back.

Gilchrist from San Diego can be a nice short term option also, but is only 5'10. McCloughan is a huge fan of big safeties and cornerbacks such as when he drafted Sherman back when he was in Seattle, but not a lot of options in FA, and might not pick a safety until the third day of the draft this year.

Forsett had a great year in Baltimore replacing Ray Rice. Would be a nice change of pace, and third down running back the Redskins need as Roy Helu Jr. can't block worth a damn on third down and is only effective on screen plays imo.

Branch visted the other day, but left Redskins park without a contract. Has been injured quite a bit this past two seasons, but on a minimum deal he could be worth the risk as a backup safety if we land Gilchrist also.

My number one target on defense this free agency. He would definitely be an upgrade at nose tackle over the recently released Cofield. Former first round pick, and was rated third behind Suh and McCoy in DT's in 2010 draft. The only thing is he isn't very good at pass rushing, but is an excellent run stopper. Only thing that would bother me is if we would get Williams, there might be a chance we don't get my number one "A" choice in the draft Danny Shelton NT from Washington. Though Shelton, and Williams would be a damn good NT rotation for a while.

As for our own guys:

Glad too see Niles Paul is back, great special teamer and is decent with the ball in his hands. Pretty bad at run blocking, so hopefully he will improve on that this season being the number two tight end behind Jordan Reed. Redskins have been interested in former Eagle James Casey as there third tight end, so we'll see how that goes as he is much better blocker than Paul.

Orakpo was the first jersey I ever bought of the Redskins. Was so excited when the Redskins drafted him being a Texas kid. Had a solid career with us, even with three pectoral injuries that ended his season he was a monster at time on the right side. Was pretty bad this year, even before another pectoral injury. Would like to see him back in his hometown of Houston if he doesn't come back to DC, but if you wind up in Dallas all I can say is don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Seek True Love, within. bigzak25's Avatar
    My Team
    Washington Redskins
    Post Count
    So we signed Colt McCoy yesterday...Championship!

On the real, we need hogs! Hopefully we score a couple of solid picks in the draft, and let Callaghan coach em up!

But at least our GM is doin work!

And its REDSKINS!

My Team
    Washington Redskins
    Post Count
    Draft a pass rusher at 5 or trade down IMO only way to go

My Team
    Washington Redskins
    Post Count
    So we signed Colt McCoy yesterday...Championship!

On the real, we need hogs! Hopefully we score a couple of solid picks in the draft, and let Callaghan coach em up!

But at least our GM is doin work!

And its REDSKINS!
    Draft a pass rusher at 5 or trade down IMO only way to go

My top five targets are:

1. Leonard Williams
    2. Danny Shelton
    3. Brandon Scherff
    4. Dante Fowler
    5. Kevin White/Amari Cooper

This draft is weird imo. It seems like our strength is now defensive line now with Paea and Knighton, so if we go Shelton then that means Knighton isn't in our long term plans, if we go Leonard Williams then that means Hatcher is probably gone after this season and from what I've heard Williams is pretty damn good, but not special like a Mario Williams, or Clowney. Neither was JJ Watt when we was picked, so that's why Williams would be a really safe pick and great value at number five. Only thing is next year's draft has some pretty good defensive lineman, and tackles also like Joey Bosa who scouts believe he is special.

Scherff would be perfect left guard next to Trent Williams but at the same time number five is too early to pick him. If they trade back and can get him in the early teens, and get a second and third I could live with that. Would be nice if we could get the Browns 12th and 19th pick but they don't seem to be in love with anyone early and seem to want to spend there picks on someone proven. Wouldn't be upset if we got two lineman in the first round also and Callahan coaches them up to be very good lineman.

Fowler seems the most impressive too me with more physical tools and higher ceiling compared to the other outside linebackers plus he's just going to turn 21 when the season starts. Reminds me of a Khalil Mack. He's just too raw right now compared to the other outside linebackers. Vic Beasley seems like he is the most NFL ready especially with his explosiveness and elite first step, he just needs to bulk up a little more, and wish he had better arm length also. Heard he has some off the field character issues also so hope if McCloughan picks him he knows that he's cleared that up in his interviews. I can live without taking an outside linebacker because I like what I saw out of Trent Murphy especially in the run game. If he has Leonard Williams on his side with him, they will make each other's job a lot easier imo.

I would love an elite receiver in Cooper or White on this team. Would love to see RG3 throw the ball to the end zone on one on one coverage and see a big receiver like White go to work to get the ball. Would love to see Cooper be that receiver that can get us first downs with ease with his smooth route running, and elite speed. Can also throw it up to him to get the ball also. Wouldn't fit an immediate need at the same time, but don't think Garcon will be back after next season unless he takes a good pay cut imo.

I just wish this draft had a stud tackle, or safety

I believe whoever McCloughan takes will have all pro/pro bowl caliber talent and desire in him.
    Last edited by Ditty; 03-19-2015 at 06:12 PM.

My Favorite Faded Fantasy The Gemini Method's Avatar
    My Team
    St. Louis Rams
    Post Count
    Not sure you can really compare Williams to Clowney or Williams since those two are ends and Leonard would play the DT/NT role in either main type of defense. He is better than merely "safe" and he'll have a all-pro caliber career if he has the right situation. His motor is relentless and he really comes with it. If a team with DL issues passes on him, they'll realize quickly that they've made a monumental mistake. The Richard Seymour comparisons are legit.

My Team
    Washington Redskins
    Post Count

Great ing pickup! The Bucs still pay Goldson's $4 million salary also, so we get a low risk/high reward type of player playing in a more fitted system cpmare to the Tampa 2 defense where he struggled. Have two very good safeties this year with Dashon Goldson and Jeron Johnson compared to Ryan Clark and Brandon Merriweather.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    a) goldson sucks

b)
    tampa bay
    last 2 free agent classes rivaling the raiders

My Team
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Post Count

Great ing pickup! The Bucs still pay Goldson's $4 million salary also, so we get a low risk/high reward type of player playing in a more fitted system cpmare to the Tampa 2 defense where he struggled. Have two very good safeties this year with Dashon Goldson and Jeron Johnson compared to Ryan Clark and Brandon Merriweather.

My Team
    Washington Redskins
    Post Count
    a) goldson sucks

b)
    tampa bay
    last 2 free agent classes rivaling the raiders
    Goldson was pretty terrible in Tampa Bay in that Tampa 2 defense. Hopefully in Joe Barry's 3-4 defense he will be a much better fit. McCloughan drafted him back in the day so hopefully he sees the fit with Washington. We pretty much gave up nothing for him, and doesn't hurt our salary cap because Tampa Bay is paying for his guaranteed salary. Short term rental.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    Goldson was pretty terrible in Tampa Bay in that Tampa 2 defense. Hopefully in Joe Barry's 3-4 defense he will be a much better fit. McCloughan drafted him back in the day so hopefully he sees the fit with Washington. We pretty much gave up nothing for him, and doesn't hurt our salary cap because Tampa Bay is paying for his guaranteed salary. Short term rental.
    not necessarily a good thing. GM's tend to get attached to "their guys" and Goldson was "his guy." it also means they might like them more than they deserve to be liked because he's a pet player. sorta like how people overvalue fantasy players that they drafted. goldson's on the wrong side of 30 coming off down seasons

My Team
    Washington Redskins
    Post Count
    Low cost, low risk. I don't mind this. Fills a desperate need. Sometimes you gotta throw at the wall, hope it sticks.

My Team
    Carolina Panthers
    Post Count
    Low cost, low risk. I don't mind this. Fills a desperate need. Sometimes you gotta throw at the wall, hope it sticks.
    Coming from a guy that has experience from that mindset, it's not low risk. Cason and DeCoud destroyed our chances in about 5 games last year. We switched them for 3 ROOKIES and they did better.

My Team
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Post Count
    I think it's a great move for Washington to get Goldson. Sure he wasn't all that good at Tampa but honestly...who the is? He's just one of the guys who mails it in when their team is 1-8. A change of scenery will do wonders for the guy....

My Team
    Washington Redskins
    Post Count
    Redskins get the highest grade from Mel Kiper Jr. in the draft

http://www.hogshaven.com/2015/5/3/85...n-redskins-the

Top needs: OL, OLB, ILB, S

I don't think there was a softer team in the NFL the past season than the Redskins, especially on defense, where they simply didn't tackle. If there was a clear trend with this draft, it was a new GM drafting for toughness and at ude. Washington got a lot tougher on both sides of the ball in the first two rounds. I know there are questions about whether Brandon Scherff can stay at tackle in the NFL (he was a LT at Iowa), but even if he's a guard, while the pick value loses a little, the guy is a true mauler, a player who makes the run game better the second he steps on the field. Whether it's right tackle (makes sense) or guard, Scherff is a starter now. Preston Smith could have come off the board in Round 1, so to get him in Round 2 was minor coup. That's a clear need at OLB, and he can move around too. Matt Jones was a bit rich for me in terms of value, but it's all preference on RB at that point. Jamison Crowder is a small player, but again, a tough kid who has been hugely productive. Bill Polian threw out a Wes Welker comparison, and he doesn't typically exaggerate. Later on, they again got more physical with Arie Kouandjio and Martrell Spaight. When I went through tape with Jon Gruden, Spaight was one of his favorite players in the entire draft. I agree with Mr. McShay that everywhere you look, they got tougher. Overall, I was really impressed with this draft.

My Team
    Washington Redskins
    Post Count
    Scot is elite

My Team
    Washington Redskins
    Post Count
    Hopefully it translates to wins on Sundays, but I'm pleased.

My Team
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Post Count
    I thought you guys definitely had the best draft.

Scherff and Preston Smith are great pickups.
    Last edited by Silver&Black; 05-04-2015 at 12:58 AM.

Thread Information