View Poll Results: Does he deserve to be considered as one of the GOATs?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 84.62%
  • No

2 15.38%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wait, so when the lakers win 2 years apart, they "backed". When the Spurs do it, they failed to defend their le. You're a two faced , Dale. Dish it, can't take it... you and Red, hand in hand.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Malik Hairston :

"My grandmother could have coached a team to a le in the 60's "
    my grandmothers never watched basketball, but my dog probably could have coached those teams, tbh..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If its coach + GM or President duties then Pat Reily.

He kind of had a perfect situation

-10 teams

-No Free Agency

-Keeper teams (players played for the same team until they were traded or retired)

that team was stacked with HOFers. It would have been difficult to not have success with those teams in that situation.

Later on:

-Drafted Bird

-He stole Perish and Mchale via a trade that helped them win 3 chips.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Guys thinking a team is some blister packed product a coach is handed... that's naive.

Great coaches have almost everything to do with the success of the team/franchise.

Guys living with mom, who can't finish Jr college in 5 years commenting on how easy Red had it... hilarious.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Guys thinking a team is some blister packed product a coach is handed... that's naive.

Great coaches have almost everything to do with the success of the team/franchise.

Guys living with mom, who can't finish Jr college in 5 years commenting on how easy Red had it... hilarious.
    DMC you my white

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Later on:

-Drafted Bird
    The NBA changed the rule for him, then after he got Bird they changed the rule back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Auerbach made some significant progress in the league:
    - Played players based on ability, not race. He's not the first one to do it, but he was the first one to have great success doing it
    - Utilized Bill Russell's defense and outlet passes as the foundation for 11 les
    - Took advantage of Cousy's speed and ball handling to run fast breaks
    - Built super teams by drafting smartly and developing specialized roles for his players
    - Had great floor spacing by using outside shooters

Ultimately, the greatest coaches leave a mark on the league
    - Daly emphasized the defensive aspect of the game
    - Pop with the unconventional way of forcing players to the middle and taking advantage of the twin towers, integrating the motion offense, resting players and monitoring minutes
    - Don Nelson with his unconventional lineups (that really led to nothing, but it was groundbreaking)
    - Larry Brown and the way the offensive spacing was perfect, where screens were used precisely
    - Pat Riley and his motivational tactics
    - Phil Jackson and his ability to steal advanced concepts from Tex Winter and calls it his own
    - Jack Ramsey and his emphasis on fitness
    - Rudy T with that inside out offense taking advantage of Hakeem and shooters (copied by Lakers and Spurs, but he was ultimately a one-trick pony though).

Auerbach certainly belowed to the GOAT coaches list - Pop, Daly and Auerbach are my top 3, Riley and Jackson are the greatest rah rah guys, Brown the best X and O guy, and Nelson is the best alchemist.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    ^I'm just grateful he lived long to bear witness 9 June 1985.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^I'm just grateful he lived long to bear witness 9 June 1985.
    Not long enough to see the Lakers tie it up though.

At this rate, nobody on this board would live long enough to see the Lakers have a .500 record vs. the Celtics in the Finals.

9-3

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Auerbach made some significant progress in the league:
    - Played players based on ability, not race. He's not the first one to do it, but he was the first one to have great success doing it
    - Utilized Bill Russell's defense and outlet passes as the foundation for 11 les
    - Took advantage of Cousy's speed and ball handling to run fast breaks
    - Built super teams by drafting smartly and developing specialized roles for his players
    - Had great floor spacing by using outside shooters

Ultimately, the greatest coaches leave a mark on the league
    - Daly emphasized the defensive aspect of the game
    - Pop with the unconventional way of forcing players to the middle and taking advantage of the twin towers, integrating the motion offense, resting players and monitoring minutes
    - Don Nelson with his unconventional lineups (that really led to nothing, but it was groundbreaking)
    - Larry Brown and the way the offensive spacing was perfect, where screens were used precisely
    - Pat Riley and his motivational tactics
    - Phil Jackson and his ability to steal advanced concepts from Tex Winter and calls it his own
    - Jack Ramsey and his emphasis on fitness
    - Rudy T with that inside out offense taking advantage of Hakeem and shooters (copied by Lakers and Spurs, but he was ultimately a one-trick pony though).

Auerbach certainly belowed to the GOAT coaches list - Pop, Daly and Auerbach are my top 3, Riley and Jackson are the greatest rah rah guys, Brown the best X and O guy, and Nelson is the best alchemist.
    I like Daly but that is a bit high Riles or Phil deserves that spot. I do love the stole from Tex and called it his own shot though, funny stuff. Only in spurstalk.

DMC had the greatest line a few spots above yours. The older I get the more I vlue coaching. When I first started coaching or even as a kid I to believed that Anyone could win with Jordan, Bird, Shaq, Magic etc. But after watching these so called innovative coaches of the modern era Only Pop, RC, and believe it or not spo are the only coaches truly worth a and really Pop is from the era before this. I think Bud and Kerr can join that group but I need to see more. Doc, Vogel, Tibbs are solid but overrated tbh. And the rest are pretty ty overall. I may have missed a coach here and there but I would take Red or Daly's corpse over the lot of 'em

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Not long enough to see the Lakers tie it up though.

At this rate, nobody on this board would live long enough to see the Lakers have a .500 record vs. the Celtics in the Finals.

9-3
    Still, watching Stockton & Heinsohn face the music 9 June 1985 in MA. was sublime. You'd a thought somebody died.

tee, hee.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still, watching Stockton & Heinsohn face the music 9 June 1985 in MA. was sublime. You'd a thought somebody died.

tee, hee.
    After the Lakers died 8 times.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    After the Lakers died 8 times.
    True, but, that day, 9 June 1985 they died and they ain't ever gotten over it. They had to take it that day. & they had nary other choice.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ???

Pop's entire defensive philosophy in the twin tower days was to deny middle penetration at any cost.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ???

Pop's entire defensive philosophy in the twin tower days was to deny middle penetration at any cost.
    I meant forcing the players to the baseline. Away from the middle. My fault.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True, but, that day, 9 June 1985 they died and they ain't ever gotten over it. They had to take it that day. & they had nary other choice.
    June 17, 2008 disagree.

808s & Heartbreak Kool Bob Love's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Homie made a living beating the outta the lakers. Bless his heart.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    June 17, 2008 disagree.
    Didn't eradicate '85.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't eradicate '85.
    85 sure didn't eradicate the previous 8.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No no NO you cannot re-use his reasoning. He gets to use it. It's his . Get your own .

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    True, but it happened.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    It's his . Get your own .
    I'm a trend setter.

I set trends.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True, but it happened.
    And so did 59, 62, 63, 65, 66, 68, 69, 84, and 08.

I mean, 3-9 vs. the Celtics in the Finals. Has any other franchise lost that many times to another franchise in the playoffs (let alone the finals)? This is total domination.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    And so did 59, 62, 63, 65, 66, 68, 69, 84, and 08.

I mean, 3-9 vs. the Celtics in the Finals. Has any other franchise lost that many times to another franchise in the playoffs (let alone the finals)? This is total domination.
    Absolutely. But, 9 June 1985 we busted their hole on MA. soil. You'd a thought somebody died. tee, hee.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Absolutely. But, 9 June 1985 we busted their hole on MA. soil. You'd a thought somebody died. tee, hee.
    It's like that for every loser in the Finals.

Thread Information