Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    What's the most cost effective way?

I don't give a about graphics since this is just for work and not computer games, I just need to be able to run 4 separate monitors (so not one large-ass display spread out over 4 monitors). The monitors I will be running are all Dell P2210T 22' monitors. I'd prefer if this is done via all HDMI connections but I'm flexible if there's a huge pricing difference.

All Hail the Legatron The Reckoning's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that's a lot of fapping

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    that's a lot of fapping
    Sup Pat's lil bro.

I have no idea what kind of weird you mookie crew s do but this is for work.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I don't give a about graphics since this is just for work and not computer games, I just need to be able to run 4 separate monitors (so not one large-ass display spread out over 4 monitors). The monitors I will be running are all Dell P2210T 22' monitors. I'd prefer if this is done via all HDMI connections but I'm flexible if there's a huge pricing difference.
    You can easily purchase a newer graphics card, and run 4 monitors on it. If i recall correctly, the Nvidia 600 series and up offer 4 monitors on a single GPU. A single card will push general PC use just fine, you would probably be great with a 660. Now a far as 4 HDMI, that's not really an option as GPU's usually come with 1 HDMI, a DVI, a DVI-D, and Display Port connections.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Something like this will probably work:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-677-_-Product

Fairly cheap, although if you need all HDMI connections, you probably have to add a DisplayPort to HDMI cable and a DVI to HDMI cable too, which should add another $20 on top.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Something like this will probably work:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-677-_-Product

Fairly cheap, although if you need all HDMI connections, you probably have to add a DisplayPort to HDMI cable and a DVI to HDMI cable too, which should add another $20 on top.
    That's a good price too, plus it has two HDMI instead of DVI.. The 660 is a little more at 149.00.

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=14-121-660

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count

Only 1680 x 1050 resolution?

You're wasting your time in my opinion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just need to be able to run 4 separate monitors (so not one large-ass display spread out over 4 monitors).
    Missed this in the OP, what do you mean by "separate monitors"? Normally the desktop does get spread out into all monitors, but you can snap individual windows into each one.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Only 1680 x 1050 resolution?

You're wasting your time in my opinion.
    Think of how easy it would be to triangulate the position of women you meet if you had four monitors!!

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Missed this in the OP, what do you mean by "separate monitors"? Normally the desktop does get spread out into all monitors, but you can snap individual windows into each one.
    I mean that If I have excel up and hit the "maximize" button, it's only going to maximize over one screen and not spread out over multiple screens.

I checked tho and I'm pretty sure the video card you linked would do what I want. How easy/hard would that be to install?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean that If I have excel up and hit the "maximize" button, it's only going to maximize over one screen and not spread out over multiple screens.

I checked tho and I'm pretty sure the video card you linked would do what I want. How easy/hard would that be to install?
    Most programs won't even have the option to max out on all 4 screens at the same time. Only very specific stuff like games usually will do that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

First, check that your computer's power supply has enough watts (that card requires a 400W power supply or better) and the connectors the videocard needs. Also that you have an available PCIe connector with the slot next to it unused, as that is a double-width card.

Then, depends on the OS... if it's Win 7 or newer, it should be pretty straightforward:
    - Connect the card
    - Connect the monitors
    - Install latest drivers from NVidia
    - Configure the displays in the Screen Resolutions control panel: Basically select "Extend these displays" in the Multiple Displays option, re-arrange the monitors to match your physical order (You can use the Identify button to display a big number on each monitor and be able to tell which one is which). You will also need to select a "Main monitor", which is the only monitor that will have the start menu/taskbar at the bottom. To do that, select the monitor and check "Make this my main display".

That about covers it.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First, check that your computer's power supply has enough watts (that card requires a 400W power supply or better) and the connectors the videocard needs. Also that you have an available PCIe connector with the slot next to it unused, as that is a double-width card.

Then, depends on the OS... if it's Win 7 or newer, it should be pretty straightforward:
    - Connect the card
    - Connect the monitors
    - Install latest drivers from NVidia
    - Configure the displays in the Screen Resolutions control panel: Basically select "Extend these displays" in the Multiple Displays option, re-arrange the monitors to match your physical order (You can use the Identify button to display a big number on each monitor and be able to tell which one is which). You will also need to select a "Main monitor", which is the only monitor that will have the start menu/taskbar at the bottom. To do that, select the monitor and check "Make this my main display".

That about covers it.
    I think that's a misprint, as the GTX 750 usually recommends 300W, and even that is overkill considering they're only powered via the PCIE slot, so they can use no more than maybe 70W or so. That's also really expensive for a GTX 750 if the op doesn't need it to be a low profile card, as you can usually find standard GTX 750 Ti cards for that price.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think that's a misprint, as the GTX 750 usually recommends 300W, and even that is overkill considering they're only powered via the PCIE slot, so they can use no more than maybe 70W or so.
    Just going by the specs on NewEgg... he should definitely do his research on that. I guess worst case he can always return the videocard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FWIW, here's the manual for the card:
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...id=5144#manual

It's pretty generic, but it does seem to indicate it doesn't need any extra power connectors from the power supply like other cards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FWIW, here's the manual for the card:
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...id=5144#manual

It's pretty generic, but it does seem to indicate it doesn't need any extra power connectors from the power supply like other cards.
    The GTX 750/750 Ti were the first Maxwell GPUs released. They have ridiculously low power consumption for how powerful they are. Even the 300W requirement is serious overkill, and just Nvidia covering their asses for people who buy prebuilts with generic power supplies claiming they can do 250W but really only capable of 150W or so. It would be difficult to get an office PC with a GTX 750, an i3, and a hard drive to draw even 250W from the wall even if you ran Furmark and Prime95 at the same time while copying a large file.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    I'm curious.

What are you going to do with 4 monitors? Right now, my setup in my den is two comuters side by side. This one I have used for years now and loaded with my software is master to my 1920 x 1200 monitor. The newer Win7 system I have is plugged into this same 24" WUXGA monitor and a 1080 P television. This newer computer I think will support 3 monitors, but I can't think of what I would do using three. My other WUXGA is hooked up to a 17" laptop in the other room, dual monitor where the laptop has a native resolution of 1440 x 900.

I don't see any practical applications needing to use up that much more desk space when you can only do so much at a time, so changing windows works.

Seems to me that your limitation is resolution rather than number of screens. My 24" monitors will display legible 11 x 17 do ents in full 100% size, and still have program bars without scrolling. Or... two 8-1/2 x 11 side by side.

To me, this is far more important, and the 1050 pixel height... Sorry, I think you should place your money on better monitors first.

I have so many times, almost bought WQXGA (2560 x 1600) monitors. I simply have other costly priorities that come first.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm curious.

What are you going to do with 4 monitors? Right now, my setup in my den is two comuters side by side. This one I have used for years now and loaded with my software is master to my 1920 x 1200 monitor. The newer Win7 system I have is plugged into this same 24" WUXGA monitor and a 1080 P television. This newer computer I think will support 3 monitors, but I can't think of what I would do using three. My other WUXGA is hooked up to a 17" laptop in the other room, dual monitor where the laptop has a native resolution of 1440 x 900.

I don't see any practical applications needing to use up that much more desk space when you can only do so much at a time, so changing windows works.

Seems to me that your limitation is resolution rather than number of screens. My 24" monitors will display legible 11 x 17 do ents in full 100% size, and still have program bars without scrolling. Or... two 8-1/2 x 11 side by side.

To me, this is far more important, and the 1050 pixel height... Sorry, I think you should place your money on better monitors first.

I have so many times, almost bought WQXGA (2560 x 1600) monitors. I simply have other costly priorities that come first.
    He's a mall cop and he needs to watch four dressing rooms at once tbh

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    LOL...

Makes sense... that such a thing would come to your mind...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL...

Makes sense... that such a thing would come to your mind...
    What do you have against mall cops?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I suspect he already has those monitors, tbh.... they're a bit old and kinda expensive for TN panels if they're really selling for $300...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm curious.

Desktop - Apps (ie: Excel as he mentioned) - Browser with Spurstalk - Browser with SlingTV

Just add beer and popcorn, you're good to go, tbh... oh wait, he said work, nevermind

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm curious.

Are you serious? Have you ever used excel? Or any kind of system monitor?

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I'm curious.

1) Excel Spreadsheet I'm working on
    2) The do ent with the figures/information I'm putting into a spreadsheet
    3) Internet browser where I can google how to do something with vlookup, pivot tables, etc.
    4) Outlook so I can glace at emails as they come in

Is it really that hard to imagine?

Thread Information