My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Comedian Lewis Black: 'Not Even LSD Prepared Me for Ted Cruz'

http://www.alternet.org/culture/come...er1033882&t=19

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not buying insurance is not in violation of anything. It's just much more expensive in the long run.
    Starting in 2014, the individual shared responsibility provision calls for each individual to have qualifying health care coverage (known as minimum essential coverage) for each month, qualify for an exemption, or make a payment when filing his or her federal income tax return
    http://www.irs.gov/Affordable-Care-A...lity-Provision

Tomato, Tomata

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly, it's not a violation of anything. He would just have to pay the tax + out of pocket, which is likely to be much more expensive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Cruz's choices are to either 1) Purchase healthcare through his employer - which was established with the ACA or 2) Purchase healthcare through the private market - again established by the ACA or 3) Not purchase health insurance - which would be in violation of the ACA's mandate?

Am I missing something here? Hey, I bet he pays Social Security, Medicare AND Medicaid Taxes too! Call CNN!
    Yeah, you are missing that the ACA SPECIFICALLY said members of congress had to purchase individual insurance through the ACA. See link in post #41.

Again, I am not defending Cruz, just pointing out that you guys need to get your facts straight.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why isn't Cruz's wife covered by Senators' health plan?

This would mean that G-S plan, temporarily discontinued while on leave of absence (but I'm sure G-S could cover LOA for such a famous employee), would be her secondary insurance, so that any expenses not covered by Krazy Kruz's plan would be submitted to the secondary insurer.

That's exactly how it works for one of colleagues, who has a great plan as primary, and sends non-covered expenses to her husband's great plan.

Nope. Her plan would be primary. However, GS can not do that for a "famous" employee - without breaking the law, or doing it for every employee. (of course, being GS, they could probably just change their lobyists focus for a few minutes and get whatever law suits them passed in that regard; but I digress).

As for COBRA, yes, the Cruz's could opt for that, but that is probably a not attractive financial option. That said, the Cruz's are apparently comfortable financially - he could afford that. But why should he? He is simply taking advantage of a benefit provided by his employer; I am sure whatever plan he chooses is heavily (or completely) subsidized by his employer.

Do politicians who want taxes raised pay at a higher percentage that is required? Does anyone call them hypocrites for not doing so? (other than Fox News)?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Apparently there is a 10K subsidy. N/M just read the article; he's not taking that.
    Last edited by 101A; 03-26-2015 at 03:42 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't believe you are still beating this dead horse. The ACA requires Senators to purchase through the exchange.

That is the current law. it is not defending Cruz to point out that you are posting bull .

http://www.factcheck.org/2013/05/con...rom-obamacare/
    Could he buy coverage for his family directly through an insurance provider, yes or no?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he's not taking that.
    how many of the dumb s who adore Krazy Kruz can afford to, or would, spurn that much money? my guess is almost none.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I certainly don't want to speak for DarrinS but I believe he was showing the similarities to Obama and then indicating that he would pass on Cruz. Just what I took from his post.
    Yeah, I thought I was being extremely obvious with that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even if Cruz were to purchase directly from a provider he would still be purchasing an Obamacare policy. That is all that is available to individuals thanks to Obamacare. Maybe you've forgotten the uproar over millions of cancelled policies and "If you like your plan you can keep your plan".
    semantics. It's Obamacare because it meets the requirements of the ACA. I'm just saying if the guy wanted to hold a principled position, he buy healthcare for his family members directly from a provider.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    semantics. It's Obamacare because it meets the requirements of the ACA. I'm just saying if the guy wanted to hold a principled position, he buy healthcare for his family members directly from a provider.
    I will give you the link AGAIN.

Your bluster is getting tedious. The ACA doesn't treat Congress like an ordinary citizen. They are specifically REQUIRED by the ACA to purhase their personal insurance through the ACA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will give you the link AGAIN.

Your bluster is getting tedious. The ACA doesn't treat Congress like an ordinary citizen. They are specifically REQUIRED by the ACA to purhase their personal insurance through the ACA.

You did not answer my question. Could senator Cruz purchase health insurance directly through a provider as opposed to an exchange for his family members?

Also, read the WaPo article spurm posted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even if Cruz were to purchase directly from a provider he would still be purchasing an Obamacare policy. That is all that is available to individuals thanks to Obamacare. Maybe you've forgotten the uproar over millions of cancelled policies and "If you like your plan you can keep your plan".
    I get health insurance through my employer which meets the ACA standards. Do I have Obamacare Snakeboy?

Rising above the Fray spursncowboys's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's not true. As we've already established. You can buy health insurance directly from a provider. The ACA mandates that you have coverage, not that you purchase it from an exchange.
    I personally tried to and they redirected me to the healthcare.gov. then they said me getting out of the army wasn't a valid reason why I should get healthcare after the deadline. But ftr getting out of prison is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You did not answer my question. Could senator Cruz purchase health insurance directly through a provider as opposed to an exchange for his family members?

Also, read the WaPo article spurm posted.
    No

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Affordable Care Act does not compel members of Congress to enroll in DC’s health care exchange; it simply cuts off the government contribution to their insurance plans if they buy their policies elsewhere. “The final rule extends a Government contribution towards health benefits plans for Members of Congress and designated congressional staff so long as the health benefits plans are purchased via the appropriate SHOP as determined by the Director,” a summary of the final rule says. “Nothing in the final rule or the law prevents a Member of Congress or designated congressional staff from declining a Government contribution for him or herself by choosing a different option for their health insurance coverage.”

In other words, Cruz “could purchase coverage in the outside market but would get no subsidy from the FEHBP program,” Tim Jost clarified for ThinkProgress, referring to the acronym for the federal health care program. “It seems like the primary other option he would have is to take advantage of COBRA through his wife, though he’d be forgoing the employer contribution. He could also buy non-group coverage,” Larry Levitt, Senior Vice President at the Kaiser Family Foundation, said. Cruz could also potentially purchased insurance through his presidential campaign’s presumptive health care insurance. In those instances, however, he would have had to give up his employer’s contribution and likely pay more for insurance than he is now being charged under Obamacare.

Despite initially telling CNN’s Dana Bash that Cruz didn’t pursue other alternatives because “Obamacare has wiped out the individual market, leaving Cruz with few options,” his staff is now explaining to reporters that Cruz might skip the DC exchange and sign up for coverage in Texas, through that state’s federal exchange. “As it happens, Cruz appears likely to forego the 75 percent employer contribution he could get as a member of Congress and instead access Obamacare from Texas, which doesn’t have a state exchange,” The Daily Caller reports, adding, “That means Cruz would use HealthCare.gov to get health insurance, at the same time the Supreme Court is considering ruling taxpayer [subsidies] for federal exchange customers illegal.”

http://thinkprogress.org/election/20...totally-wrong/

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count

Oh please, oh please....

As a Democrat, I can only hope that this guy gets the nomination of the GOP.

That would make the drubbing the Mitt "elevator in my garage" Romney got look like a cakewalk.

Luckily, there are still enough sane Republicans to outweigh the crazy wing of their party.
    What's wrong with taking advantage of a law?

Does one have to agree with a law to comply with it?

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    This appears to have much more to do with Senator Cruz being able to say that he complies with laws that he does not like while campaigning against President Obama with the suggestion that the President does not feel himself so obligated.
    Absolutely. Non-compliance with the law would not be good for him.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    So Cruz's choices are to either 1) Purchase healthcare through his employer - which was established with the ACA or 2) Purchase healthcare through the private market - again established by the ACA or 3) Not purchase health insurance - which would be in violation of the ACA's mandate?

Am I missing something here? Hey, I bet he pays Social Security, Medicare AND Medicaid Taxes too! Call CNN!
    Yep.

When stupid threads like this are started, we know who are the lemmings...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas and California the highest percentage of undo ented aliens too. Funny how those things tend to go together.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas and California the highest percentage of undo ented aliens too. Funny how those things tend to go together.
    but TX has not expanded medicaid, for which it has just about the stingiest, most sociopathic rules in the country, and has not setup an exchange.

iow, CC resorts to false equivalence.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Affordable Care Act does not compel members of Congress to enroll in DC’s health care exchange; it simply cuts off the government contribution to their insurance plans if they buy their policies elsewhere. “The final rule extends a Government contribution towards health benefits plans for Members of Congress and designated congressional staff so long as the health benefits plans are purchased via the appropriate SHOP as determined by the Director,” a summary of the final rule says. “Nothing in the final rule or the law prevents a Member of Congress or designated congressional staff from declining a Government contribution for him or herself by choosing a different option for their health insurance coverage.”

In other words, Cruz “could purchase coverage in the outside market but would get no subsidy from the FEHBP program,” Tim Jost clarified for ThinkProgress, referring to the acronym for the federal health care program. “It seems like the primary other option he would have is to take advantage of COBRA through his wife, though he’d be forgoing the employer contribution. He could also buy non-group coverage,” Larry Levitt, Senior Vice President at the Kaiser Family Foundation, said. Cruz could also potentially purchased insurance through his presidential campaign’s presumptive health care insurance. In those instances, however, he would have had to give up his employer’s contribution and likely pay more for insurance than he is now being charged under Obamacare.

Despite initially telling CNN’s Dana Bash that Cruz didn’t pursue other alternatives because “Obamacare has wiped out the individual market, leaving Cruz with few options,” his staff is now explaining to reporters that Cruz might skip the DC exchange and sign up for coverage in Texas, through that state’s federal exchange. “As it happens, Cruz appears likely to forego the 75 percent employer contribution he could get as a member of Congress and instead access Obamacare from Texas, which doesn’t have a state exchange,” The Daily Caller reports, adding, “That means Cruz would use HealthCare.gov to get health insurance, at the same time the Supreme Court is considering ruling taxpayer [subsidies] for federal exchange customers illegal.”

http://thinkprogress.org/election/20...totally-wrong/
    You cannot purchase healthcare without going through the healthcare.gov market. How else can I write this?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The federal law does not require anyone to purchase health insurance through the Exchange, though subsidies will only be available for plans sold through the Exchange.

You will be able to purchase this coverage right on the Exchange’s website or through your agent if he or she is approved to sell Exchange plans.

If you would rather buy other health insurance through an insurance agent or broker, you will be free to do so.

http://www.naic.org/index_health_reform_faq.htm

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information