Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have me confused with someone else, however I do think it is foolish to completely discount the possibility of inflation in a ten year window considering the massive amount of worldwide monetary easement. Yeah, they are concerned short term with stagnation and potential deflation but central banks are notorious for overshooting adjustments.

I believe I HAVE stated that I think long term interest rates will work perfectly for me at my age and allow me to borrow hundreds of thousands of dollars now to build net worth in a low interest environment and then cash out assets later in a higher interest environment at a point in my life where I can adjust my investment mix into high yield paper for retirement.

This may be what you were thinking about.
    No, God blessed me with the memory of an elephant. I'm just glad you're not looney calling for the end of the US dollar and the next depression. Unfortunately, about 30% of republicans actually believe that nonsense and are calling for a balance budget amendment to fix God knows what.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    lol I dunno maybe to fix the budget deficit? Oh that's right it can go on indefinitely

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol @ not understanding how inflation works. The rich (those closest connected to the FED) get the money first. That's how they steal from you and that's why it's immoral.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ter-than-wages
    http://www.sfgate.com/technology/bus...ig-6171649.php
    http://nypost.com/2015/02/18/nycs-mo...-is-300kmonth/
    http://nypost.com/2015/02/19/vice-ce...-in-las-vegas/
    I understand inflation, do you understand the difference between cost-push, and demand-pull inflation?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Greek people learn how to protect their money - Bitcoin!

http://business.financialpost.com/in...-greece-crisis

The virtual currency has been steadily climbing this month as talks have broken down between Greece and its creditors. Invented six years ago as an alternative to fiat currencies, Bitcoin has now climbed nearly 10 per cent in the past few days. On Wednesday, the value of one bitcoin rose 1.54 per cent, or US$3.86, to US$254.76.

The main driver for bitcoin prices seem to be Greek buyers. Joshua Scigala, co-founder of Vaultoro.com, told Reuters this week that his company has seen a 124 per cent pick up in web hits from Greek IP addresses

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a pretty interesting concept.
    Hard to tell at this point. My take is that it is the way money is going to go. There is a lot of forces pushing in that direction.

Here is a good article:
    http://arstechnica.com/business/2015...alled-bitcoin/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have me confused with someone else, however I do think it is foolish to completely discount the possibility of inflation in a ten year window considering the massive amount of worldwide monetary easement. Yeah, they are concerned short term with stagnation and potential deflation but central banks are notorious for overshooting adjustments.

I believe I HAVE stated that I think long term interest rates will work perfectly for me at my age and allow me to borrow hundreds of thousands of dollars now to build net worth in a low interest environment and then cash out assets later in a higher interest environment at a point in my life where I can adjust my investment mix into high yield paper for retirement.

This may be what you were thinking about.
    Probably a good strategy. Africa, despite what many think, will find its way out of the corrupt mire that many nations there find themselves in.

Once that happens you will see a lot of change, and some inflationary pressures as the mass of humanity there betters its condition, and starts moving up the energy usage chain, as they are doing now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lastly, I would point out that the big banks are starting to research a bitcoin-like technology. Still trying to find the article.

Found this though, a Price Waterhouse Coopers report.

https://www.pwc.com/en_IM/IM/publica...ortunities.pdf

A year old, but something to read on my next lunch hour. Seems to have a lot of depth and treated very intelligently.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bitcoin isn't a currency. It's a payment system.
    Think about those two sentences. When you get it... you will bricks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Bitcoin is still but I wish I would've known it would've become so popular at its peak. A lot of nobodies because millionaires overnight off that scheme.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    don't know if you clicked the links, but the biggest banks in the world just hopped on board and it's officially a US commodity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    don't know if you clicked the links, but the biggest banks in the world just hopped on board and it's officially a US commodity.
    I know I should be shocked and dismayed by this, but I guess anything is a commodity if there is a market to vest it with value, and any bank will always recognize and trade any recognizeable, tradeable asset. That's what they do. Bitcoin is a bit of a banker's wet-dream in that it is an post-national, unregulated, semi-anonymous, variable-fiat currency... but I think the only reason any bank is in it right now is due to the volatility of the market (potential for big wins) (or losses), not due to growth in mainstream demand for a digital currency of indeterminate value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bitcoin is a bit of a banker's wet-dream in that it is an post-national, unregulated, semi-anonymous, variable-fiat currency... but I think the only reason any bank is in it right now is due to the volatility of the market (potential for big wins) (or losses), not due to growth in mainstream demand for a digital currency of indeterminate value.
    yep

The platform pitches itself as a broker which specializes in bitcoin derivatives, and trades financial products like options and futures which are directly linked to the price of the cryptocurrency. Thus, it allows users to "go long" and bet that the price of bitcoin will rise, or "go short" and bet the price will fall.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Yeah I'm looking at the fact that it tanked in value from 1500 to 200. It looked like a big pump and dump scam. If it's regulated how can it still be anonymous? Wasn't that the whole point of Bitcoin?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On Wednesday, a federal judge in San Francisco approved a request made earlier this month by the Internal Revenue Service to force Coinbase, a popular online Bitcoin wallet service, to hand over years of data that would reveal the iden ies of all of its active United States-based users.

The IRS is concerned that some of Coinbase’s customers may have used its service to cir vent or mitigate tax liability. Federal investigators say they need Coinbase's records to be able to identify some Bitcoin wallets and to check against tax records to make sure Coinbase's users are paying any and all proper taxes on their Bitcoin-related income.
    http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...r-data-to-irs/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No opinions? it actually looks like digital currency is going to break through and go mainstream. It has certainly had it's ups and downs as regulators stomped on some of the original entrepreneurs but it is now getting Wall Streets attention. At 1 bitcoin to $242 today it's an interesting speculative investment.
    Damn. $875 today. I shouldn't have listened to you guys and bought some. That would have been a nice return.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why would you listen to us? what a terrible idea.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why would you listen to us? what a terrible idea.
    I tell myself that all the time.

Boo makes me laugh, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    March 2017.
    What do y'all say now?

Did the boat sail on buying and selling later for profit?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like buy
    March 2015 $250
    Sept 2016 $600
    March 2017 $1,200 was the latest huge buy low/sell high window.

Ship sailed?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bought my last lot at $750 and sold at $400+ at end of 2015 to offset other gain. Stupid me - look at it now. Fortunately, dh still has his and is ignoring my comments that it's near all-time high. As with everything, he'll never let go (sell).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bitcoin Is Still Unsustainable

While the digital currency has gotten more energy efficient in the last few years,

transactions still take thousands of times more electricity than swiping a credit card.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...-unsustainable

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bitcoin Is Still Unsustainable

While the digital currency has gotten more energy efficient in the last few years,

transactions still take thousands of times more electricity than swiping a credit card.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...-unsustainable

The attraction is the anonymity - not energy efficiency.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So now what?

Did any of you get in on Ripple?

Thread Information