My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    re ed vice.com

If it was easy it would make everyone a millionaire re s

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok so you / someone you know got in, it went up then you wanted to cash out.
    Were you able to?
    I don't like what I'm hearin.

https://community.coinbase.com/t/coi...ustomers/12385
    Coinbase Customer Complaints section ^^

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I read where the most powerful GPU boards, used for blockchain and cryptocurrency, are nowhere to be found, all sold out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "You're right.

Its not that their customer service is bad, its just that it doesn't exist at all.

Once I have had 2x the initial amount deducted from my account as a duplicate charge, apparentally it was a hold for debit card purchases however the hold amount was for something duplicated.

Today it has happened again. I bought $120 amount of bitcoins over the past few days and instead of having $120 deducted from my card, they once again deducted twice the supposed amount. Now my card is left with a negative balance disabling me from paying my internet and phone bills."

buying bitcoins when you don't have more than 240 dollars in your bank
    can't pay my bills because someone took 120 more than you requested
    get rich quick idiots funding all the Charles Banks of the world

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I read where the most powerful GPU boards, used for blockchain and cryptocurrency, are nowhere to be found, all sold out.
    RX 470, RX 480, RX 570, RX 580, and GTX 1060 have been really hard to find, and GTX 1070 prices have gone through the roof to where they're higher than the GTX 1080 which is a much better gaming card (but much worse at mining). Those are all 150W or less cards though. The three best gpus on the market ( an X [Pascal], GTX 1080 Ti, and an Xp) are all 250W cards and haven't been affected too much since they consume too much power to be as profitable. All that might be coming to an end though as ether has tanked in value the last couple of days. Last time there was a huge bubble in crypotcurrency mining in 2014 (with Litecoin) AMD overproduced the R9 290/290x and the used market got flooded with so many R9 290/290x after the bubble burst that you could buy brand new R9 290 for like $200 a couple of months later. These were $400 cards and it's still the best deal I have seen on a gpu for gaming.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I used to use Coinbase (based in CA, iirc) to "trade" - they charge 1% each way. My hubby has his sitting who knows where. If something should happen to him, bye-bye bit coins. But since he mined his, I don't say anything.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So a buddy of mine just put in 25k towards a bitcoin mining group. Apparently he will make $1000/month for life and get his 25k in a few years

Gotta see it to believe it

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    So a buddy of mine just put in 25k towards a bitcoin mining group. Apparently he will make $1000/month for life and get his 25k in a few years

- "We're not a bank, Jerry. I want FDIC for my money. I don't see any of that here."

- "Wade" - "Fargo"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

So you don't really believe it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You can't buy once and make money over the long term. The coins get harder to generate every time one is generated, and thus you're constantly improving your hardware to keep up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you don't really believe it
    Not until I see it. Thus my statement

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can't buy once and make money over the long term. The coins get harder to generate every time one is generated, and thus you're constantly improving your hardware to keep up.
    Does it get harder only for your account?

I know it gets harder as more coins are minted. Just wondering if the algorhythm also gets hader for heavy minters

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does it get harder only for your account?

I know it gets harder as more coins are minted. Just wondering if the algorhythm also gets hader for heavy minters
    It gets harder for every coin generated period.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    What do you guys think about bitcoin?
    Did you mean "Bit-con?"

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    No opinions? it actually looks like digital currency is going to break through and go mainstream. It has certainly had it's ups and downs as regulators stomped on some of the original entrepreneurs but it is now getting Wall Streets attention. At 1 bitcoin to $242 today it's an interesting speculative investment.
    Until the bubble bursts...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if a donkey gets in office

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It gets harder for every coin generated period.
    Oh sure

But thats just fair

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cryptocurrencies Collapsed

Ethereum down 52%, Ripple down 57%, EON down 70% in eight days.

A “collapse” isn’t when something edges down 1% in value or even 10% or 20%; it’s when something plunges 50% in a short time.

Bitcoin has plunged “only” 21% in one month. The granddaddy of crypto coins had soared to just about $3,000 by June 12, and a market cap of $48.5 billion. Since then, it has plunged 21% to $2,366 and a market cap of $38.9 billion. Another $9.5 billion down the drain in just a few weeks.

Between these top three crypto coins, about $35 billion in “wealth” has returned to the ether in two months.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn ether coins are down to $158 right now and has been as low as $133 the last 24 hours. ethereum, that'll be awesome if this mining is dead when Nvidia releases their Volta cards.

Hans Brix??? Oh no!!!! Kim Jong-il's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    I've tried understanding bitcoin, but every time I look into it, my eyes glaze over and I just move on. If bitcoin is the future, I'm just not going to be able to go with it. I'm going to have to be the old man writing a check at the gas station on this one.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People Keep Getting Charged With a Crime for Selling Bitcoin

US law enforcement keeps charging people with a crime for selling bitcoin.

It's not illegal to sell bitcoins per se, but at least four people across the US this year have been charged or pleaded guilty to the crime of exchanging the cryptocurrency for fiat as a business without a license—"business" being the keyword.

2013, when the US Financial Crimes Enforcement Network declared that

selling bitcoin
    as a business is money transmission that requires licensing. Individual states have followed suit,https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...elling-bitcoin

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ETHEREUM COFOUNDER: There is 'a ticking time bomb' in cryptocurrencies

http://www.businessinsider.com/ether...me-bomb-2017-7

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hacker Uses Parity Wallet Vulnerability to Steal $30 Million Worth of Ethereum

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...h-of-ethereum/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ethereum Miners Are Selling Their Graphics Cards

Miners lose, gamers win.

The digital gold rush for cryptocurrencies like ethereum has caused a scarcity of graphics cards, and PC gamers are mad. Products made primarily for gaming happen to be really good at crunching the numbers required to mine digital currency, and miners have been buying up all the graphics cards.

Can you blame them? From April of this year through the middle of June, this is what happened to the price of ethereum:

over the last month, etherium has lost half its value.

Because of how the blockchain works, ethereum mining gets more difficult over time, causing any particular hardware setup to gradually earn less money every day. Based on the RX580's processing ability, power consumption, the drop in trading price, and the increase in mining difficulty, I did some back-of-the-envelope calculations.*

According to my math, the same graphics card that used to earn about $5 a day now earns less than roughly $2 a day.

A $300 graphics card that might have paid for itself in 2-3 months (after electricity costs) will now take over 6 months, at best. A sizable mining operation can stomach that sort of long-term investment, but there aren't a lot of hobbyists who are willing to stick it out.

You can never tell what is going to happen to the trade price of cryptocurrencies, but most people probably don't expect the situation to suddenly and quickly reverse itself.

What's more, many ethereum mining enthusiasts expect AMD's current cards to stop performing as well as they do now within a few months—

tests have shown a severe reduction in performance as the complexity of ethereum calculations increase.

Nobody knows what the problem is for sure, or if a driver update might fix it, but

an RX 480 or 580 bought in the last month might never pay for itself once you factor in electricity costs.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...graphics-cards

Thread Information