Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Classes on the fundamental beliefs of major religions and the different denominations of those religions would be helpful for kids to understand the world around them.
    Helpful how? Give an example.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    History of Religion

Comparative Religions, including study of their sacred texts.

are usually college courses. Would probably be ignored by Christians who have been indoctrinated to be closed-minded about non-Christianity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    History of Religion

Comparative Religions, including study of their sacred texts.

are usually college courses. Would probably be ignored by Christians who have been indoctrinated to be closed-minded about non-Christianity.
    And that's where the in depth study belongs. In high school, it should be mentioned only as background to historical events.

Like the crusades for example....

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Helpful how? Give an example.
    The middle east.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has religion have a major effect on your life Blake?

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Classes on the fundamental beliefs of major religions and the different denominations of those religions would be helpful for kids to understand the world around them.
    Oh man, the storm from parents would be priceless when their kids are taught about Christianity from a historical instead of biblical view.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if that's it, then the answer is still lol smh no.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh man, the storm from parents would be priceless when their kids are taught about Christianity from a historical instead of biblical view.
    True. Probably why they will never be mandatory classes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol or Islam from a peaceful view instead of a terrorist.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True. Probably why they will never be mandatory classes.
    And shouldn't be

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has religion have a major effect on your life Blake?
    only that it was forced on me as a kid, but in the end, no.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if that's it, then the answer is still lol smh no.
    Can you accurately explain the politics and history of the middle east without mentioning religion? I like to hear it.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh man I can imagine the outrage when schools talk about the winter solstice and Christmas together in their religion classes.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are one clueless mother er.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can you accurately explain the politics and history of the middle east without mentioning religion? I like to hear it.
    mentioning it is fine.

A full mandatory high school course on it lol no.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are one clueless mother er.
    Ok, how has it affected me

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh man I can imagine the outrage when schools talk about the winter solstice and Christmas together in their religion classes.
    Momma we learned that Christmas trees came from dem pagans. I thought you said it was a jeebus tree

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Religion should be a mandatory class from middle school on. Same goes for personal finance/economics. The two things that will have the largest impact on a persons life are either not taught or deemed optional.
    Religion should be left to the individual. It's fine to tell them there's plenty of religions and each one of them has it's own philosophy. If they're interested, they can go visit a temple and get more info.

Completely disagree about religion having an impact. It does on some individuals, it doesn't at all on others. That's like saying psychology sessions should be mandatory.

Rising above the Fray spursncowboys's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No it's not. Over 70% of the population deem themselves Christian. They might be good, not so good, bad Christians, but culturally, that means this is largely a Christian nation.

The fight is over government, which was undoubtedly founded as a secular en y. This whole discussion is over 200 years old, you can go back to the 1794 Treaty of Tripoli and you already have Christians complaining of Art 11 there.
    I would say unbiased or impartial to religion in general. But not Christian/Jewish symbols or names. Religion shouldn't be thought of like a watch that they can take off in the box before going through the metal detector.
    Are you saying people can't even say the word god? That wouldn't be able to pray in public? What would be the punishment?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    oh so you just want to focus on the ok stuff she said but not the crazy stuff.
    Such as?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would say unbiased or impartial to religion in general. But not Christian/Jewish symbols or names. Religion shouldn't be thought of like a watch that they can take off in the box before going through the metal detector.
    Are you saying people can't even say the word god? That wouldn't be able to pray in public? What would be the punishment?
    Why? How does that make sense? You're now picking and choosing. If people want to place such things in the frontdoor of their houses, they're free to do so. There's no place in government for that, unless it's specifically some sort of cultural religious display, in which case it should be open to all religions.

As far as public display, I'm fine with it, as long as it's a personal activity. You want to pray in the park, sure, go ahead.

What I don't want is that person applying their faith into decisions that affect other people. Unfortunately, there's some people that don't understand there's a line there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "When we fail to teach it in the public school, the history of this nation, the God mentioned in our Declaration, the Supreme Being mentioned in the preamble of this cons ution of the state,” she continued. “We not only don’t teach it, but we suppress it and refuse to allow it to be taught.”

Bat crazy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why? How does that make sense? You're now picking and choosing. If people want to place such things in the frontdoor of their houses, they're free to do so. There's no place in government for that, unless it's specifically some sort of cultural religious display, in which case it should be open to all religions.

As far as public display, I'm fine with it, as long as it's a personal activity. You want to pray in the park, sure, go ahead.

What I don't want is that person applying their faith into decisions that affect other people. Unfortunately, there's some people that don't understand there's a line there.
    I don't think there is a line there. If their god tells them to treat people fair, why would that be worse than a person who thinks a person and a dog came from the same development and have the same destiny?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think there is a line there. If their god tells them to treat people fair, why would that be worse than a person who thinks a person and a dog came from the same development and have the same destiny?
    what if their god commands them to discriminate

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The picking and choosing I was refering the founding fathers.

Thread Information