Post Count
    what if their god commands them to discriminate
    What religion and against whom

Rising above the Fray spursncowboys's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what if their god commands them to discriminate
    I know you're trolling but I think that's why christianity is different than all other religions (among lots other things). Why it will expand over time

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What religion and against whom
    Christians against gays and for Israel for example

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know you're trolling but I think that's why christianity is different than all other religions (among lots other things). Why it will expand over time
    You can call it trolling, but it's a legit point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Christians against gays and for Israel for example
    Christianity is not against gays as a whole: There are christians who think it's not a sin. There are christian churches who have gays in leadership positions. There are also christians who feel sexual sex is a sin. Not claiming yourself as gay. I feel most of christians are in the last example. But they aren't against gays. Just that they are going against what they feel god's teachings are. Jesus said for people to be fishes of men, evangelicals. So it's a sense of love, purpose, to want to get others into heaven. Also gay marriage, for alot is about the idea of marriage under god. Not just to keep gays out of something.
    IMO, I've always said its a state issue and not a civil rights issue. That's why I feel it's a state issue.
    I also think being against gay marriage is completely different from killing someone for believing in a different god.
    As far as teaching religion in school- no! that's a place where kids have to go, by law. There's no reason why a muslim would have to learn about christianity. Our system is so messed up. On top of that, no one would be happy.
    But in a school there should be nothing wrong with a child reading the bible,koran, etc. Nothing wrong with praying. It just shouldn't be mandated. Just mo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jesus never said to discriminate. In fact he was the first women's rights/civil rights/lower class advocate.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jesus never said to discriminate. In fact he was the first women's rights/civil rights/lower class advocate.
    and His one dramatic show of anger was at the bankers (moneychangers) who were probably Jews (like Himself).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think there is a line there. If their god tells them to treat people fair, why would that be worse than a person who thinks a person and a dog came from the same development and have the same destiny?
    Of course there's a line there. Because "fair" is a completely subjective term. "Fair" according to whom? You're arguing that people should apply certain philosophy to others, and that in itself is a slippery slope. Thomas Jefferson, who wrote the First Amendment, was fairly explicit about religion being strictly a personal matter. Man & his God.

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church & State.

I understand that certain people, probably you included, feel certain... hmmm... "exuberance" with regards to certain faith philosophy, and likely thinks if everyone would follow it this would be a better world.

But I also think history shows that's a naive and mistaken notion. Some people don't want that at all, and once you start hitting them in the head with the bible, things turn to .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course there's a line there. Because "fair" is a completely subjective term. "Fair" according to whom? You're arguing that people should apply certain philosophy to others, and that in itself is a slippery slope. Thomas Jefferson, who wrote the First Amendment, was fairly explicit about religion being strictly a personal matter. Man & his God.

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church & State.

I understand that certain people, probably you included, feel certain... hmmm... "exuberance" with regards to certain faith philosophy, and likely thinks if everyone would follow it this would be a better world.

But I also think history shows that's a naive and mistaken notion. Some people don't want that at all, and once you start hitting them in the head with the bible, things turn to .
    So you think he meant no religious people involved in politics? Because that's what I assumed you wanted. Did I read your posts wrong?

exuberance? What the are you talking about and why quote it?

I don't think I've ever thought that. As opposed to you thinking that, but the reverse-atheists.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is the movie anything like this?
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_Bible

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you think he meant no religious people involved in politics? Because that's what I assumed you wanted. Did I read your posts wrong?
    That's the wrong assumption. I don't know why it's so hard to understand, but fervent religious people do have a problem understanding it.
    I have no problem with people that go to church on sunday, pray before a meal, etc having a government job.

I have a problem with people that make decisions involving others on faith vs facts or science. For example, if statistics say condoms and sexual ed drastically reduces STDs, then I don't want somebody to reduce the funding on that to increase funding on, say, abstinence programs. That's a religion based decision, and that's when religion rears it's ugly head into government.

exuberance? What the are you talking about and why quote it?

I don't think I've ever thought that. As opposed to you thinking that, but the reverse-atheists.
    Perhaps you're not that kind of person, I apologize, but in my experience there's plenty of religious people that feel they have the moral high ground and won't hesitate to try to impose it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Christianity is not against gays as a whole
    Those Christians accepting of gays are changing the Bible rules.

God very clearly commanded that gays need to die. Paul rebuked them. There's no way around it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those Christians accepting of gays are changing the Bible rules.

God very clearly commanded that gays need to die. Paul rebuked them. There's no way around it.
    The Bible is a bunch of fairy/morality tales behind the blatant propaganda that it's the Word of God.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's the wrong assumption. I don't know why it's so hard to understand, but fervent religious people do have a problem understanding it.
    I have no problem with people that go to church on sunday, pray before a meal, etc having a government job.

I have a problem with people that make decisions involving others on faith vs facts or science. For example, if statistics say condoms and sexual ed drastically reduces STDs, then I don't want somebody to reduce the funding on that to increase funding on, say, abstinence programs. That's a religion based decision, and that's when religion rears it's ugly head into government.
    In your example, there's plenty of reasons included in not wanting to fund(not govt biz, not worth money, money better for something else). Also what if in your example a sex ed reduced std's but at the same rate increase sexual experimentation? A religious person could agree with both views as a christian view. Both could be very big in living a christian way. Two of the biggest christians I met in life never agreed on the role of women in church. One who quite being an infantryman because he stopped believing in violence used scripture to back up why women. The other felt women should be married first. Very respectful to each other. But not very many people can understand this kind of argueing I guess. I also think this view that christians are against science is ridiculous. the times it might happen are few and far in between. It's more a wedge issue I thought intelligent people like you would have figured out. A majority of scientists are religious.

Perhaps you're not that kind of person, I apologize, but in my experience there's plenty of religious people that feel they have the moral high ground and won't hesitate to try to impose it.
    So I'm a fervent religious person and now I'm not. Thanks I think. But if you're talking about politicians, then maybe. They are trying to get reelected. Just like the ones who take the moral high ground on gay marriage, affirmative action, poverty, etc. I agree and it annoys me. It gives people the right to mob rule on political issues because they feel they are within the right to be inhumane to people they disagree with

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In your example, there's plenty of reasons included in not wanting to fund(not govt biz, not worth money, money better for something else). Also what if in your example a sex ed reduced std's but at the same rate increase sexual experimentation? A religious person could agree with both views as a christian view. Both could be very big in living a christian way. Two of the biggest christians I met in life never agreed on the role of women in church. One who quite being an infantryman because he stopped believing in violence used scripture to back up why women. The other felt women should be married first. Very respectful to each other. But not very many people can understand this kind of argueing I guess. I also think this view that christians are against science is ridiculous. the times it might happen are few and far in between. It's more a wedge issue I thought intelligent people like you would have figured out. A majority of scientists are religious.
    Because "living a christian way" shouldn't enter the decision-making process at all. You're not making decisions for christians, you're making decisions for everybody. If you can't put your faith away in those instances, then I don't want you in a decision-making role. Your faith guiding your personal life is fine with me, your faith guiding other people's lives, well, screw you.

I also don't think generally speaking that christians are against science. But I do think when certain science clashes with their faith, some are willing to prioritize faith, and IMO, that's simply unacceptable.

It's also not just christians, it would bother me just as much if somebody tried to cajole in Sharia law somewhere. Religion needs to stay personal.

So I'm a fervent religious person and now I'm not. Thanks I think. But if you're talking about politicians, then maybe. They are trying to get reelected. Just like the ones who take the moral high ground on gay marriage, affirmative action, poverty, etc. I agree and it annoys me. It gives people the right to mob rule on political issues because they feel they are within the right to be inhumane to people they disagree with
    We're talking about religion in government, which intrinsically means politics. What goes on between you and your god, that's fine with me. I respect your right to do that.

Thread Information