Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seems like hes the clear reputation beneficiary with how the media has treated these guys...great org blah blah etc.

That 03 team was 90% TD, but its now just remebred mostly as a "team" effort.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You made a mistake there, the thread le should include Tony. I forgive you, though. People make mistakes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you have to make a new thread to voice every dumb-ass, pointless, baseless question that wafts through the space in between your ears?

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To answer OP's question: No. Credit goes where credit is due.

Also, OP is an insecure .

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, Duncan's prime has been largely forgotten by the media, who now pretend that the way the Spurs played from '12-'15 and to some extent, still do, is the way they've always played. Some also pretend he was only the go to guy for a few years and that he always played on good teams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On the off chance that the OP is a serious question, the answer is NO.

The fact that Pop is getting a lot of attention today is that he had the wit to change his team's approach to scoring as his 'superstar' aged and could no longer carry the team by himself and that said change was so successful, it not only kept the Spurs on the top of the heap with respect to annual season wins and playoff appearances as Tim aged, but it spread throughout the NBA as the method for consistently superior performance.

Pop is ALWAYS giving props to his players, most especially Timmy over the years.

If it were not for Pop's requirement that players occasionally sit out and rest and that they only return after injury when the risk of re-injury is considerably lessened, the Spurs players you mentioned would not have careers as long as they have had. The length of their careers means more awards for the players, and increases their ties to Pop. Had Pop been like most coaches, Tim would have been burned out long ago, and Manu wouldn't be able to walk by this season, much less be a major contributor on a le contending team.

Why do you try to force everything into a zero-sum game? People have been talking about Pop lately because he was the coach of the All-Star game. When they are talking about Tim, they talk about him as the best power forward of all time. Kawhi is on the cover of Sports Illustrated right now. Manu is hurt so out of the limelight right now, but no-one in the mainstream sports media ever suggests that he is anything short of a shoe-in for first ballot Hall of Fame.

So - what, exactly, is your about Pop?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OP was 3 years old in 03.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Snitches everywhere today...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Snitches everywhere today...
    No engineers tho.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm guessing you are at least acknowledging your snitching culture.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop was a pretty average coach until 03 when he put in that motion offense instead of the 4-down every possession they ran in 02 that got them shredded by LA. That year was the first great coaching job of his career, and when he became an elite coach (though convincing Duncan to come back in 2000 was a pretty amazing move too).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm guessing you are at least acknowledging your snitching culture.
    Why would anyone need to snitch about a thread that was at the top of the forum?

Engineer an answer to that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think he "hogs" the credit, but he's definitely the "representative" for the Spurs, from a media perspective(unlike virtually every other team, the player is typically the face)..Duncan is recognized as a legend and Kawhi receives a ton of praise as a top 5 player nowadays, but Pop is by far the most interesting of the Spurs, and the best sound bite for the media(Parker and Manu are great interviews, but Americans generally prefer their own kind)..

If you frequent many NBA media sources on the internet, it's evident that the majority of "new" fans believe Pop's "system" has been the key for the Spurs during this entire run..

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would anyone need to snitch about a thread that was at the top of the forum?

Engineer an answer to that.
    Lot of threads at the top of the forum never get locked unless a known snitch is watching...

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think he "hogs" the credit, but he's definitely the "representative" for the Spurs, from a media perspective(unlike virtually every other team, the player is typically the face)..Duncan is recognized as a legend and Kawhi receives a ton of praise as a top 5 player nowadays, but Pop is by far the most interesting of the Spurs, and the best sound bite for the media(Parker and Manu are great interviews, but Americans generally prefer their own kind)..

If you frequent many NBA media sources on the internet, it's evident that the majority of "new" fans believe Pop's "system" has been the key for the Spurs during this entire run..
    Media does eat up everything Pop has to say. When People talk about the Spurs it starts from Pop to Duncan to Big three to Kawhi in that order. When in reality Kawhi is the single biggest reason we are doing this well. Star player's league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop was a pretty average coach until 03 when he put in that motion offense instead of the 4-down every possession they ran in 02 that got them shredded by LA. That year was the first great coaching job of his career, and when he became an elite coach (though convincing Duncan to come back in 2000 was a pretty amazing move too).
    It was still a lot of 4-Down in 03 though.

The ball moved better, but it was still a basic offense that relied almost entirely on Duncan either scoring one-on-one or kicking it out if doubled.

I agree with Harlem here. It's not like Pop goes out of his way to be SA's face (he always praises Tim/Kawhi/Manu/Tony etc).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lot of threads at the top of the forum never get locked unless a known snitch is watching...
    Like which ones?

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like the ones you frequent...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like the ones you frequent...
    So that means I'm not a snitch.

nginr

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So that means I'm not a snitch.

nginr
    Look man, if you are in a thread, the chances of it getting locked deleted or moderated are astronomical.

Going on Tlt

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Apol didn't say if Pop goes out of his way to hog the media. Just if he is the beneficiary of his star players. Which he is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look man, if you are in a thread, the chances of it getting locked deleted or moderated are astronomical.

Going on Tlt
    Quantify those odds you claim.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Apol didn't say if Pop goes out of his way to hog the media.
    He absolutely did.

That's what "hog" means, dumbass.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Quantify those odds you claim.

Going on Tlt

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Astronomical" is not a quan y.

You really need that explained to you?

No wonder you aren't an engineer.

Thread Information