Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    US Navy Secretary Wants to Stop Using Fighter Pilots in Favor of Drones

Manned fighter jets may have a limited future. The secretary of the US Navy has announced that the new F-35 Lightning II “should be, and almost certainly will be, the last manned strike fighter aircraft the Department of the Navy will ever buy or fly.”

The Register
    reports
    that the Navy’s secretary Ray Mabus made the announcement at the Sea-Air-Space 2015 conference on Wednesday. In his speech, Mabus explained:

With unmanned technology, removing a human from the machine can open up room to experiment with more risk, improve systems faster and get them to the fleet quicker. While unmanned technology itself is not new, the potential impact these systems will have on the way we operate is almost incalculable... We need to give ideas like this one a place to flourish, and that’s why, in the coming months, we will be making some pretty substantial changes to how the Department is organized to ensure the structure is in place to help incorporate this capability more fluidly into our operations.

http://gizmodo.com/us-navy-secretary...+%28Gizmodo%29

But the F-35 fiasco providing corporate welfare will be retained to transfer $Ts in wealth from taxpayers to the MIC.

Last edited by boutons_deux; 04-17-2015 at 08:04 AM.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    One more step to Skynet.

All Hail the Legatron The Reckoning's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bad plan. the allure of being a fighter pilot attracts the best pilots who end up taking on other roles.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    It should save a ton of money in the long run. When drones get injured, you don't have to provide them health care.

Thread Information