My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tony Parker is done. I don't just mean in this game or in these playoffs, but in his career. He's going to be a token player for the remainder of his tenure in the league. Oh he'll get some decent moments now and then, but the days of him taking over during the game on offense during any meaningful stretch are over. It's not his fault, not claiming anything of the sort. He's been in the league for a long time. He's just done. He can't shoot, can't defend, can't pass. He can dribble still, but doesn't have that ankle breaking quickness to get around his defender.

If the Spurs don't find a real deal PG in the off season, it's going to be pretty ugly next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh look, only what I've been saying all season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh look, only what I've been saying all season.
    Yeah but you think evolution is a conspiracy so..

The 6th is coming... will_spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Come on DMC, you've been a decent poster so far, get off the short bus... this thread will be bumped as much as the "can Manu score 20 points again?" thread.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're really going out on a limb with this edgy take

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OP really going out on a ledge.

OP, would you dare to say that Leonard is perhaps a top 10 defender in the league?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where the is green today? That's my question...I do agree with Tony.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tony Parker is done. I don't just mean in this game or in these playoffs, but in his career. He's going to be a token player for the remainder of his tenure in the league. Oh he'll get some decent moments now and then, but the days of him taking over during the game on offense during any meaningful stretch are over. It's not his fault, not claiming anything of the sort. He's been in the league for a long time. He's just done. He can't shoot, can't defend, can't pass. He can dribble still, but doesn't have that ankle breaking quickness to get around his defender.

If the Spurs don't find a real deal PG in the off season, it's going to be pretty ugly next year.
    I've been saying this all year. Took you a while but better late than never. Mainstream player fans probably wont get it though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OP really going out on a ledge.

OP, would you dare to say that Leonard is perhaps a top 10 defender in the league?

Attention being attention whoring things

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well, you got me on that one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He cares too much about getting his to use what skills he does have left to make plays for teammates.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OP also called Stephen Curry the next Kobe..

that jay thread backfired... All cause of ing Tony..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Come on DMC, you've been a decent poster so far, get off the short bus... this thread will be bumped as much as the "can Manu score 20 points again?" thread.
    Tony will have good scoring nights again. He'll have some decent plays, I said as much. He's no longer a threat to take over on offense. In the past teams had to plan for Tony. Now they don't. He's a side note now. It's a fact. He still gets mentioned with the "Big 3" but if there's still a big 3, it's Tim, Manu and Kawhi. Tony is almost a liability, might even be one. I know the loyalty bug is biting you, you cannot admit Tony hasn't just lost a step, he's lost some drive and that's expected for a guy who's been there so many times and plays in the summer as well. It's just basketball.

The problem isn't his decline, it's his unwillingness to accept it and to keep looking for the ghosts of his past performances by sacrificing possessions in crucial moments of the game. That's on Pop as well though, even GOAT coach has some loyalty issues. I think loyalty is important, maybe more important than winning this game. They are a business after all, and you cannot give the impression that you'll throw your players under the bus after they've sacrificed salary for you for years. Tony could be a max player on another team, we all know that, perhaps not today but definitely in the past he could.

Tony will do some desperate things and some will get some results, but he's done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed, though having Patty off the bench is nice. Spurs will just need to trust in the system and Kawhi will need to take another step forward as a playmaker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OP also called Stephen Curry the next Kobe..

that jay thread backfired... All cause of ing Tony..
    No I didn't, got. I said he wanted to be Kobe. Steph will never have 5 rings.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That $45 mil extension is looking brutal right now. Parker is pretty much the new Richard Jefferson. Going to hold the team back in the future when we should be rebuilding around Kawhi.

The 6th is coming... will_spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tony will have good scoring nights again. He'll have some decent plays, I said as much. He's no longer a threat to take over on offense. In the past teams had to plan for Tony. Now they don't. He's a side note now. It's a fact. He still gets mentioned with the "Big 3" but if there's still a big 3, it's Tim, Manu and Kawhi.
    a) it's too early to say, as he's been injured a lot this year. A few years ago Duncan looked done and look at him in the past couple of years...
    b) by your standard there's no big 3 any more, there's not even a big 1 as NOBODY on the Spurs right now can be counted on to take over a game, or even have the opposing team plan their game strategy around them. Nobody is a threat on the Spurs right now, it's just people stepping up one after another.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He cares too much about getting his to use what skills he does have left to make plays for teammates.
    This.

The dude isn't done. Not by a long shot. But he needs to learn to rest. International balling shortened his career in the NBA no doubt. A long off season would do him good.

Manu, otoh, is definitely done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we saw some of parker's decline last year too. outside of the portland series (and games 1/2 against OKC) he wasn't a big factor in the postseason. he wasn't the same in the regular season either. the numbers looked fine, but spurfans watching the games saw he wasn't the same as "mvparker" from 2012 and 2013... when he was playing like a top 5 player in the league for long stretches

but a lot of us assumed and hoped it was because of fatigue... long playoff runs and offseason international play. he signed the extension, and he took the summer off, and we were hoping the time off would allow him to bounce back, but his regression has only furthered. i think we have to accept we're not getting the same TP again. the bright side is our offense is evolving and is being run more through Leonard than ever before. TP's contract number isn't going to reflect what we're getting on the floor, but it won't sting quite as bad when the new cba kicks in

i still think parker can be helpful as long as he isn't trying to do too much

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a) it's too early to say, as he's been injured a lot this year. A few years ago Duncan looked done and look at him in the past couple of years...
    b) by your standard there's no big 3 any more, there's not even a big 1 as NOBODY on the Spurs right now can be counted on to take over a game, or even have the opposing team plan their game strategy around them. Nobody is a threat on the Spurs right now, it's just people stepping up one after another.
    Tim is a 7' center/PF with some of the best footwork you'll ever see, and the GOAT PF ever. Tony is a short PG who's in the league because he was fast, quick and had insane handles. He's none of that now and it's not coming back. Tim was just too heavy and too bored.

Thread Information