Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Side-by-side today's game is many levels deeper than the 90s game. That said, 90s ball is in a vacuum because of MJ. He existence brought it to its absolute peak in popularity, ratings, pop culture, merchandise, which also catapulted the superstars he was playing against.

This is why all kinds of double standards exist when it comes to 90s ball, ie not describing the 73-78 jazz bull finals game as "unwatchable, horrible, boring" basketball.

Veteran
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Jordan is actually a product of the popularity of, to name the primary pair, the popularity of Larry Bird and Magic Johnson and other big stars of the 80's. Jordan just took the baton from them and raised the popularity of the NBA to the next level (though he did fine himself in the 80's as an icon). The rest fed off of him but please, Barkley, Stockton/Malone, Ewing, Larry Johnson, David Robinson, Chris Mullin, Tim and Penny Hardaway, etc... were all big time and celebrated players in their own right even if their legacies aren't what they looked like they were going to be.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Hannah Storm used to look like that in the 90's while on NBC. How did she blossom into what she has as she got older? Saying something like "plastic surgery" doesn't quite cut it.
    + she probably has a tiny bush.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably because the Pistons, Rockets, and Spurs didn't have wing players with the skill/athleticism and aesthetically pleasing games of Jordan and Pippen. The Bulls had the best of both worlds, great defense and two exciting players and a in headcase in Rodman As much as I liked Tim Duncan the Spurs didn't get truly exciting until Ginobili joined the team because he was completely unpredictable and fun to watch.
    An as a season ticket holder you never knew when you were going to receive a pass.

Veteran
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Anyways, Hannah Storm looks better in her 50's than she did her 20's.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Probably because the Pistons, Rockets, and Spurs didn't have wing players with the skill/athleticism and aesthetically pleasing games of Jordan and Pippen. The Bulls had the best of both worlds, great defense and two exciting players and a in headcase in Rodman As much as I liked Tim Duncan the Spurs didn't get truly exciting until Ginobili joined the team because he was completely unpredictable and fun to watch.
    It ain't his little video of MJ admonishing Doc, but, it's still stellar.

The Hitman

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jordan is actually a product of the popularity of, to name the primary pair, the popularity of Larry Bird and Magic Johnson and other big stars of the 80's. Jordan just took the baton from them and raised the popularity of the NBA to the next level (though he did fine himself in the 80's as an icon). The rest fed off of him but please, Barkley, Stockton/Malone, Ewing, Larry Johnson, David Robinson, Chris Mullin, Tim and Penny Hardaway, etc... were all big time and celebrated players in their own right even if their legacies aren't what they looked like they were going to be.
    That's a bit too simple. You don't just "take the baton" else someone else would do it.

Jordan had something you almost never see, a combination of fearless confidence in himself before the play that you could read in his demeanor and the obvious ability to make the play happen. Today we see "stars" shirk that spotlight when it burns to hot, like we saw with the Clippers in the last series in that pivotal turnaround game, Blake, Paul and Jordan.. none wanting the ball. These are stars, all stars, superstars even. Then, after the play, Jordan didn't act like he just won a championship (unless he just did) with all the gotry and school yard dances and antics you see today like these cats have never scored the ball in their lives. We're talking about guys who score 40 points on some nights, celebrating a 2 point shot as if it means something. All that "cooking it up" and shimmying and all the other stuff, show that confidence before the play, not after. Kobe tried, but he was a beta trying to fit into the role of the alpha. Mike never struggled with his image vs teammates. He was never in doubt.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    That's a bit too simple. You don't just "take the baton" else someone else would do it.

Jordan had something you almost never see, a combination of fearless confidence in himself before the play that you could read in his demeanor and the obvious ability to make the play happen. Today we see "stars" shirk that spotlight when it burns to hot, like we saw with the Clippers in the last series in that pivotal turnaround game, Blake, Paul and Jordan.. none wanting the ball. These are stars, all stars, superstars even. Then, after the play, Jordan didn't act like he just won a championship (unless he just did) with all the gotry and school yard dances and antics you see today like these cats have never scored the ball in their lives. We're talking about guys who score 40 points on some nights, celebrating a 2 point shot as if it means something. All that "cooking it up" and shimmying and all the other stuff, show that confidence before the play, not after. Kobe tried, but he was a beta trying to fit into the role of the alpha. Mike never struggled with his image vs teammates. He was never in doubt.
    Spending a mandatory year in purgatory is on that resume' as well.

Veteran
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count

[facepalm] Everything you said about Jordan was true. He was popular and revolutionized the game but was hardly the only reason for the explosive popularity of the NBA in the 90's. For example, there's a 30-for-30 on the Pacers-Knicks rivalry from when Jordan was either retired or barely visible in the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spending a mandatory year in purgatory is on that resume' as well.
    Resume is beside the point. His approach is what people remember most. If another player led his team to the same record, same number of wins, same 2 year hiatus.. that person would probably not receive the attention Jordan received. During that era, he was peerless. Just look at the original Dream Team, other than Magic, Bird it's full of a bunch of 0fers.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Resume is beside the point. His approach is what people remember most. If another player led his team to the same record, same number of wins, same 2 year hiatus.. that person would probably not receive the attention Jordan received. During that era, he was peerless. Just look at the original Dream Team, other than Magic it's full of a bunch of 0fers.
    Well here we're gonna remember it all. What's good for the goose is sauce for the gander.

& I don't do barn storming tours. It's my religion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well here we're gonna remember it all. What's good for the goose is sauce for the gander.

& I don't do barn storming tours. It's my religion.
    You're talking about things that have nothing to do with how he was when he was playing. You try to assess him as a person, that's your fundamental flaw Dale. I couldn't care less how any of these guys are as people. It the game of basketball. Go to TMZ if you want celebrity gossip old man.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    You're talking about things that have nothing to do with how he was when he was playing. You try to assess him as a person, that's your fundamental flaw Dale. I couldn't care less how any of these guys are as people. It the game of basketball. Go to TMZ if you want celebrity gossip old man.
    I'll just bet you couldn't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll just bet you couldn't.
    Why would I? Do you and Kobe hang? I know your s do but I mean do you hang out with these guys? No? no... so it's about basketball. Stop acting feminine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [facepalm] Everything you said about Jordan was true. He was popular and revolutionized the game but was hardly the only reason for the explosive popularity of the NBA in the 90's. For example, there's a 30-for-30 on the Pacers-Knicks rivalry from when Jordan was either retired or barely visible in the NBA.
    Nobody gave a about the Pacers/Knicks rivalry. What were they competing for, 1st loser?

Veteran
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    For a chance to go to the NBA Finals. The Knicks were a break or two from beating the Rockets. And apparently someone cares, they had a 30-for-30 special on it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    90s presentation of the game on tv was way better

today u got players who trying to be clowns on tv to get attention...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it weren't for Amy you'd still be boring as , but, approaching triple next month.

Amy
    if it wasn't for the divorce we'd be light 1

coffee is for closers Infinite_limit's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This was a NBA draft class in the 90's

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    if it wasn't for the divorce we'd be light 1
    Instead you're light 2 & a triple.

Veteran
    My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    This was a NBA draft class in the 90's

Very selective in what years you used. And besides, maybe you should post a draft class in the 80's because that's when most of the iconic players of the 90's came into the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    ^The reverse angle is scary looking for some damn reason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^The reverse angle is scary looking for some damn reason.
    he's one of my pet favorites

Thread Information