Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Boban Marjanovic

Position: C
    Height: 7-3 (occasionally listed at 7-4, DX eurocamp 2009 had him at 7-2.25 barefoot)
    Weight: 293 lbs
    2014-15 team : Cvrena Zvezda (Red Star, signed 2 year deal in 2013)
    Birthday: August 15, 1988 (26 years old)

wingspan : 7-8 (2009 eurocamp measurements)
    standing reach : 9-7 (2009 eurocamp measurements)

2014-15 1st team all-Euroleague
    2014-15 Adriatic League Champion, Playoffs MVP

2014-15 Euroleague stats

mpg - 27.4
    ppg - 16.5
    rpg - 10.8
    apg - 1.0
    bpg - 0.9
    tov - 1.4
    pfs - 1.5
    fg% - 62.0%
    ft - 77.4%

https://youtu.be/EfRULuhvVfQ

2014-15 Adriatic League stats

mpg 20.4 , ppg 10.5 , rpg 7.5 , apg 1.1 , bpg 0.9

Because of all the Cvrena Zvezda games I watched to study Dangubic, I was struck by how good Marjanovic was. After thinking to myself for a few days, "If only there was a way to get that guy!", I googled his contract and was pleasantly surprised to find out he's a free agent! And there's one rumor page that has him as being a subject of NBA interest. He very briefly appeared on a Hawks summer league team in 2013, and speaks english fine.

https://youtu.be/YSVQU2uoqn8

Make no mistake, he is sloooow. But damn effective. You don't become 1st team ALL EUROLEAGUE without being effective, and Boban is a damn MONSTER. He can't play a lot of minutes, and probably would be best coming off the bench and playing 20-24 minutes a game dominating second units. No joke, he would have destroyed Big Baby in the Clippers series.

Pros: He's huge. Monstrous. Strong. His hands are very good, like suction cups, he can catch all kinds of passes that aren't too low, and when he gets the ball near the rim, he dunks it like a beast. DUNKS like a BEAST. None of this soft underhanded waist-high release floaty bricks Spurs centers usually poop out while falling over. He would be an instant 6th Man of the year candidate, and would rack up easy baskets off of feeds from Spurs wing players, be it Manu or whomever. He would be remarkable. And his post game is pretty damn good. He gets great position with his bulk, and has nice touch with his soft hands, scoring isn't too much of a problem. Passes okay. He rebounds well due to his length and strength. He's just so hard to move. At the rim, he contests and alters shots with his length.

Cons: He's slooooow. On offense, I don't see him being moved all around setting multiple screens like Spurs bigs do, not as many. He's more of an Al Jefferson type on offense, and just like Jefferson on defense. Defending the pick and roll is painful for him, and he will be a liability most of the time against teams that try to exploit him. And while he can block and contest shots straight up, it's not so great when he has to rotate over, he just has issues with quickness. And because of his size, his stamina is limited. The more crowded NBA schedule will tax his stamina more than his overseas schedule, where he played 56 combined euroleague and ABA games, plus at least 4 Serbian SuperLeague games.

The Rest : It's true, he's slow. But he's slow with fast reflexes. When he gets the ball near the basket, he goes into the dunking motion incredibly fast. He acts fast, but moving and covering ground just comes to him slowly. And he at least tries hard, and doesn't half ass it down the court. I've seen plays where he beats his man down the court off a rebound in transistion all the way down for a score, because he put the effort into it and his man didn't. He is slow, but looks a little slower than he is in a straight line.

He could be relatively cheap, MLE or less. I previously was overly enthusiastic and thought he might be worth up to 7-8, but after more thorough watching, that might have been high. But, should the Spurs bring back Duncan and Manu while losing Baynes, I think getting Boban for the MLE would be a nice addition. Especially if it was possible to sign both Boban and Dangubic as replacements for Baynes/Ayres and Reggie Williams with the MLE/limited cap space. Boban with Dangubic could ease the transition for both players.

https://youtu.be/PyHS-oTeAkM

https://youtu.be/jhk5vQ5PXi4

https://youtu.be/Nk8Zq2z0vD8

https://youtu.be/MDFUbtrC7AI
    Last edited by Chinook; 05-11-2015 at 11:33 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's a big dude. So big, in fact, that that is the smallest pic I could find of him.

I don't have nearly the confidence you do that he'd be a good NBA player. I think he'd be blocked significantly more against NBA talent than he does now. But he'd be going up against bench players, so maybe he'll get away with it. I've wanted the team to get a dominant post scorer for the bench for a while now. So I'd be game in a world where the Spurs can trade Splitter for a top PF and have a young defensive C waiting in the wings. Using the MLE on O'Quinn would be ideal, but perhaps unrealistic. This isn't a bad contingency plan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He looks like he's almost double his age.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Boban Marjanovic

Position: C
    Height: 7-3 (occasionally listed at 7-4, DX eurocamp 2009 had him at 7-2.25 barefoot)
    Weight: 293 lbs
    2014-15 team : Cvrena Zvezda (Red Star, signed 2 year deal in 2013)
    Birthday: August 15, 1988 (26 years old)

wingspan : 7-8 (2009 eurocamp measurements)
    standing reach : 9-7 (2009 eurocamp measurements)

2014-15 1st team all-Euroleague
    2014-15 Adriatic League Champion, Playoffs MVP

2014-15 Euroleague stats

mpg - 27.4
    ppg - 16.5
    rpg - 10.8
    apg - 1.0
    bpg - 0.9
    tov - 1.4
    pfs - 1.5
    fg% - 62.0%
    ft - 77.4%

https://youtu.be/EfRULuhvVfQ

2014-15 Adriatic League stats

mpg 20.4 , ppg 10.5 , rpg 7.5 , apg 1.1 , bpg 0.9

Because of all the Cvrena Zvezda games I watched to study Dangubic, I was struck by how good Marjanovic was. After thinking to myself for a few days, "If only there was a way to get that guy!", I googled his contract and was pleasantly surprised to find out he's a free agent! And there's one rumor page that has him as being a subject of NBA interest. He very briefly appeared on a Hawks summer league team in 2013, and speaks english fine.

https://youtu.be/YSVQU2uoqn8

Make no mistake, he is sloooow. But damn effective. You don't become 1st team ALL EUROLEAGUE without being effective, and Boban is a damn MONSTER. He can't play a lot of minutes, and probably would be best coming off the bench and playing 20-24 minutes a game dominating second units. No joke, he would have destroyed Big Baby in the Clippers series.

Pros: He's huge. Monstrous. Strong. His hands are very good, like suction cups, he can catch all kinds of passes that aren't too low, and when he gets the ball near the rim, he dunks it like a beast. DUNKS like a BEAST. None of this soft underhanded waist-high release floaty bricks Spurs centers usually poop out while falling over. He would be an instant 6th Man of the year candidate, and would rack up easy baskets off of feeds from Spurs wing players, be it Manu or whomever. He would be remarkable. And his post game is pretty damn good. He gets great position with his bulk, and has nice touch with his soft hands, scoring isn't too much of a problem. Passes okay. He rebounds well due to his length and strength. He's just so hard to move. At the rim, he contests and alters shots with his length.

Cons: He's slooooow. On offense, I don't see him being moved all around setting multiple screens like Spurs bigs do, not as many. He's more of an Al Jefferson type on offense, and just like Jefferson on defense. Defending the pick and roll is painful for him, and he will be a liability most of the time against teams that try to exploit him. And while he can block and contest shots straight up, it's not so great when he has to rotate over, he just has issues with quickness. And because of his size, his stamina is limited. The more crowded NBA schedule will tax his stamina more than his overseas schedule, where he played 56 combined euroleague and ABA games, plus at least 4 Serbian SuperLeague games.

The Rest : It's true, he's slow. But he's slow with fast reflexes. When he gets the ball near the basket, he goes into the dunking motion incredibly fast. He acts fast, but moving and covering ground just comes to him slowly. And he at least tries hard, and doesn't half ass it down the court. I've seen plays where he beats his man down the court off a rebound in transistion all the way down for a score, because he put the effort into it and his man didn't. He is slow, but looks a little slower than he is in a straight line.

He could be relatively cheap, MLE or less. I previously was overly enthusiastic and thought he might be worth up to 7-8, but after more thorough watching, that might have been high. But, should the Spurs bring back Duncan and Manu while losing Baynes, I think getting Boban for the MLE would be a nice addition. Especially if it was possible to sign both Boban and Dangubic as replacements for Baynes/Ayres and Reggie Williams with the MLE/limited cap space. Boban with Dangubic could ease the transition for both players.

https://youtu.be/PyHS-oTeAkM

https://youtu.be/jhk5vQ5PXi4

https://youtu.be/Nk8Zq2z0vD8

https://youtu.be/MDFUbtrC7AI
    I refuse to have this guy be a spur just based on this pic..Dude looks like a vulcan who eats his boogers...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who cares about a missing chromosome or two. Sign him up.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not as slow as I thought he would be and not as big as I thought either. Would need to hit the weight room to go up against big centers but seems like a decent plan B/C. Can he hit the mid range shot and his free throws? Is he injury prone?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shoots free throws in the high 70s%. He has a mid range but probably in line with Baynes, not an everyday thing.

I've heard that he's had injury issues in the past but was real healthy this season. Guys his size are more susceptible, another reason to keep his minutes down.

I still think he would do 10 & 5 off the bench without too many issues

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Christ almighty that face.

Way too much of a plodder to be real effective in today's space/pace NBA.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Help us BOBAN, you're our only hope

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well he has risin up from a lost case till the most dominating centre in Euroleague. Some talks about him going to Efes Pilsen, but i think NBA is his primary choice. He just doesn't fit in a team that plays fast basketball, but at this point gives a lot more than Milutinov. Excellent free throw shooter.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.eurohoops.net/2015/07/featured/107961

The Serbian giant had an excellent season with Crvena Zvezda smashing several “haunted” records in the Euroleague. His name has been linked with many top European teams, like Barcelona and Efes, but his desire is different. As he says to Eurohoops.net: “I know about the prospects that exist in Europe, but I want to play in the NBA. I want to wait and if a good proposition comes from there I want to try and play in the NBA.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Awesome. Great job, objective.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it happens ...

I'm going to hyperventilate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seriously - wonderful job . This is the value of the Think Tank. Like real teams, they do scounting work on tons of players. Some they have legit interest in, some not. Some may never come over or pan out, some do. But they are worth discussing and awesome job bringing this to light.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Think Tank strikes again!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it happens ...

I'm going to hyperventilate.
    Great catch!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he's going to be painful to watch against any big than can face up

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he's going to be painful to watch against any big than can face up
    Pun intended?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Awesome. Great job, objective.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Goes up stronger than Tiago... Like that he has basic post moves...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does anyone knows the details about Marjanovic's contract? I'm curious to know about the possible buyout, that Spurs did or did not pay.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does anyone knows the details about Marjanovic's contract? I'm curious to know about the possible buyout, that Spurs did or did not pay.
    Off the top of my head I believe he was a free agent in Europe and elected to go to the Spurs for 1 year on a minimum contract instead of taking larger offers from other European clubs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am pretty sure it is a 1 year, $2 million contract with no money for a buyout.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am pretty sure it is a 1 year, $2 million contract with no money for a buyout.
    That was the original figure, but the last amount I saw was $1.2M.

Thread Information