Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ".... Derrick Dewayne Charles received a lethal injection on Tuesday after the US supreme court rejected last-day appeals and wouldn’t stop his execution. He’s the seventh prisoner put to death this year in the nation’s busiest capital punishment state.Charles’s attorneys argued the 32-year-old was mentally incompetent for execution and that they needed time and court-approved money for experts and investigators to pursue that claim. State lawyers said his attorneys made similar arguments about his competency that had previously been refused by the courts.Charles pleaded guilty to capital murder charges in 2003. A Harris County jury chose a death sentence after testimony about how the victims were beaten and strangled....

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...ewayne-charles

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ok

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Cool

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Charles was arrested at a Houston motel where Brenda Bennett's car was found. Police have said he told them he beat and strangled Obie Bennett. Myiesha Bennett was choked with an extension cord, beaten with a box containing stereo speakers and hit with a TV.
    Brenda Bennett was thrown into a water-filled bathtub along with a plugged-in TV. When that failed to electrocute her, she was dragged through the house, raped and strangled.

Derrick Dewayne Charles received a lethal injection on Tuesday

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Great job Texas!

We need to get more s out of society. We just don't do that enough. Jail is expensive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Go Team!!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jail is expensive.
    execution process is more expensive than life in prison

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And how is that?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    COSTS: Death Penalty Costs in Texas Outweigh Life Imprisonment

County estimates in Texas indicate that the death penalty system is much more expensive than sentencing inmates to life imprisonment.

Gray Countyspent nearly $1 million seeking the death penalty against Levi King, even though he pleaded guilty to murder.

Moreover, these costs do not include the cost of appeals, which will further increase the cost of the capital case, nor the costs of cases in which the death penalty is sought but not given.

By comparison, a non-death penalty murder case in nearby Lubbock County typically costs about $3,000, court officials estimate.

The average cost to house an inmate in Texas prisons is $47.50 per day, according to Mic e Lyons, spokeswoman for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.

Thus it would cost about $17,340 to house an inmate for a year and $693,500 for 40 years, far less than even part of the death penalty costs.

The regional public defender's office estimates that just the legal costs for a death penalty case from indictment to execution are $1.2 million.

Lubbock County Criminal District Attorney Matt Powell said, “I don’t dispute that it’s more expensive,” but said he never takes cost into account when deciding whether to seek the death penalty.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/cost...e-imprisonment

$18K/year per prisoner, and"

"Texas schools are spending $8,400 per student in the current school year,

well under the national average of $11,455 and

low enough to put the state 49
    th in a ranking of the 50 states and the District of Columbia.

Only Arizona and Nevada spend less on their students."

http://trailblazersblog.dallasnews.com/2013/02/texas-drops-close-to-bottom-in-student-spending.html/

Jade Helm! Rolling Thunder Redneck Abbott says "RUN for the hills, y'all!"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see this claim all the time but when you drill down into the numbers it's always hypothetical legal fees they are using to justify the claim.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see this claim all the time but when you drill down into the numbers it's always hypothetical legal fees they are using to justify the claim.
    haven't you seen all the executed prisoners on TX death row for decades, costing $18K/year? dig down? hypothetical?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    haven't you seen all the executed prisoners on TX death row for decades, costing $18K/year? dig down? hypothetical?
    Cost to keep a prisoner on a life sentence vs. death row per day is irrelevant.

The big dollars claimed are all hypothetical legal fees. Prosecution attorneys are all salaried employees and are paid the same whether they are prosecuting a death penalty case or picking their nose. The defense attorneys for indigents are appointed by the judge and they aren't paid compared to their normal fees. For the ones that hire their own attorneys that figure shouldn't even be counted but it is. Death penalty appeals for indigents beyond the first one are all pro-bono representation. I'm saying a lot of the cost claims are bogus.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Maybe.

It definitely needs a streamlining process.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe.

It definitely needs a streamlining process.
    why the hurry to get them out of jail and into the ground.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    why the hurry to get them out of jail and into the ground.
    Charles was arrested at a Houston motel where Brenda Bennett's car was found. Police have said he told them he beat and strangled Obie Bennett. Myiesha Bennett was choked with an extension cord, beaten with a box containing stereo speakers and hit with a TV.
    Brenda Bennett was thrown into a water-filled bathtub along with a plugged-in TV. When that failed to electrocute her, she was dragged through the house, raped and strangled.

You answered your own question. s like Charles should be put down within a few weeks, save a ton of money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If someone pleads guilty to murder, I prefer the state not seek the death penalty. However, some crimes are just too horrific and I think the state should go after them. If it really costs $1.2 million on average to do that then either the appeals process is completely broken or there is some shady accounting going on.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They should've electrocuted him just to show him how to do it right

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [/FONT][/COLOR]

You answered your own question. s like Charles should be put down within a few weeks, save a ton of money.
    Saving money is NEVER a Repug goal, when the money is going to the PIC.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

you misread my answer. it's the opposite, that execution costs more than life in prison.

Wild Cobra is the one that mentioned streamlining which in effect means scrapping our appeals process.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cost to keep a prisoner on a life sentence vs. death row per day is irrelevant.

The big dollars claimed are all hypothetical legal fees. Prosecution attorneys are all salaried employees and are paid the same whether they are prosecuting a death penalty case or picking their nose. The defense attorneys for indigents are appointed by the judge and they aren't paid compared to their normal fees. For the ones that hire their own attorneys that figure shouldn't even be counted but it is. Death penalty appeals for indigents beyond the first one are all pro-bono representation. I'm saying a lot of the cost claims are bogus.
    $18K/year and more for keeping a prisoner of death row for a couple decades is NOT hypothetical.

Govt attorneys waste their time on them rather than their real career-padding work of framing blacks and browns for mj possession.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    you misread my answer. it's the opposite, that execution costs more than life in prison.

Wild Cobra is the one that mentioned streamlining which in effect means scrapping our appeals process.
    I read your answer jus fine. The execution itself doesn't cost more, it's the years and years of court costs/appeals that cost so much. I am onboard with WC (never thought I'd say that) and streamlining the process for cases that are clear cut.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    $18K/year and more for keeping a prisoner of death row for a couple decades is NOT hypothetical.

Govt attorneys waste their time on them rather than their real career-padding work of framing blacks and browns for mj possession.
    Stupid. They would be spending the same money per day with a life sentence. Zero sum cost.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I read your answer jus fine. The execution itself doesn't cost more, it's the years and years of court costs/appeals that cost so much. I am onboard with WC (never thought I'd say that) and streamlining the process for cases that are clear cut.
    So you're ok with ditching the appeals process in our court system.

Fwiw, I'm not. It's not perfect, but I prefer having it over not having it.

Thread Information