Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/seeded-w...its-1431729743

Unemployment has dropped to 4.2% from 5.5% in 2013, and wages and job growth are steadily climbing.

Liberals love to hate Sam Brownback, and for good reason. The Kansas governor threatens a central tenet of liberal orthodoxy: the belief that higher taxes are a price that must be paid for progress.

“If your objective is to grow the economy, would you rather put more money into government, or leave it in the hands of small business?” Mr. Brownback asks during a recent interview in his office at the state capitol. Three years ago Kansas enacted the biggest tax cut of any state, relative to the size of its economy, in recent history. Lawmakers reduced the top rate on the personal income tax to 4.9% from 6.45%. They also eliminated the income tax for small business owners who file as individuals, a broad group that includes sole proprietors, limited liability partnerships and S-corporations.

The governor declared that Kansas was “open for business” in such strong terms that he might as well have donned a sandwich board reading “Come to Kansas / Keep Everything You Earn.” He boasted: “Our new pro-growth tax policy will be like a shot of adrenaline into the heart of the Kansas economy.”

The comment was subsequently picked up by critics who wondered why the Kansas economy wasn’t suddenly leaping ahead at, say, 4%-5% growth annually. When Mr. Brownback ran for re-election last year, national reporters descended on the Sunflower State and quickly made Kansas the national symbol for the alleged depredations of “trickle-down economics.” A sampling of headlines includes: “How Tea Party tax cuts are turning Kansas into a smoking ruin,” L.A. Times, July 9; “Kansas’ Ruinous Tax Cuts,” the New York Times, July 13; and “The Great Kansas Tea Party Disaster,” Rolling Stone, Oct. 23.

Yet voters re-elected Mr. Brownback by a four-point margin. What the news coverage missed was that if Kansas hasn’t exactly catapulted into the front ranks in economic growth and employment, then it has at least moved a long way from the stagnation of recent decades. Consider:

• In March 2013, unemployment in Kansas stood at 5.5%. It has since dropped to 4.2%, tied for 14th lowest in the country.

• From 1998-2012, Kansas ranked 38th in private-sector job growth, according Bureau of Labor Statistics data crunched by the Kansas Policy Ins ute. In 2013—the first year after the tax reform—the state climbed to 27th place, and in 2014 it moved to 21st, placing it in the top half of states.

• In the second half of 2014, hourly wages in Kansas grew 3.5%, according to BLS data, far faster than the national average of 1.9%.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kansas is broke.

Trickle down is a lie

Tschlong is dumb

Kansas, as much cowboy-bull er wind as TX, is cutting back on wind power as dictated by Kock Bros. KS intented to TAX wind protection,not stimulate it.

How many of the new KS jobs are in wind and solar activities so HATED by the Kock Bros

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    You really need to look at the before and after.

Brownback was reelected even though Democrats were widely panning the tax cuts as a miserable failure. At the time, unemployment was much higher, budget deficit much worse, etc. They were touting the state's performance in relation to neighboring states. All those things are no longer true.

It takes a while to undo all the damage done by the previous tax&spend policies. We saw that in the 80s with Reagan's tax cuts - the recession he inherited got worse before it got way better.

What's going on in Kansas is similar. It's already showing signs of economy taking off.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You really need to look at the before and after.

Brownback was reelected even though Democrats were widely panning the tax cuts as a miserable failure. At the time, unemployment was much higher, budget deficit much worse, etc. They were touting the state's performance in relation to neighboring states. All those things are no longer true.

It takes a while to undo all the damage done by the previous tax&spend policies. We saw that in the 80s with Reagan's tax cuts - the recession he inherited got worse before it got way better.

What's going on in Kansas is similar. It's already showing signs of economy taking off.
    prove that tax cuts for the KS wealthy caused a single job, not fracking, not drilling, not wind, not solar.

KS schools just cut their school year short for lack of operating funds.

prove the "high" taxes were causing KS' unemployment.

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    prove that tax cuts for the KS wealthy caused a single job, not fracking, not drilling, not wind, not solar.

All you have to do is look at the data. It's working.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    prove causality

A precedes B doesn't prove A caused B

WSJ? Murdoch toilet paper with same cred as Murdoch's Fox Liars

btw, did you hear that your hero O'Reilly, a good Catholic boy like so many extreme, authoritarian, bully right wingers, is a wife beater?

Yes. I sign my name. Slutter McGee's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You do realize that there is a public sector and a private sector....and they are different? Right?

ter McGee

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You do realize that there is a public sector and a private sector....and they are different? Right?

ter McGee
    to finance the wealth of the wealthy, KS cut public spending on schools.

Yes. I sign my name. Slutter McGee's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boutons, if I sign you up for an Economics course and pay for it, would you be willing to at least attempt to use empirical data and rational thought?

ter McGee

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    prove causality

A precedes B doesn't prove A caused B

WSJ? Murdoch toilet paper with same cred as Murdoch's Fox Liars

btw, did you hear that your hero O'Reilly, a good Catholic boy like so many extreme, authoritarian, bully right wingers, is a wife beater?
    I have not heard that. Did you find that in an article in thinkprogress.org?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "to finance the wealth of the wealthy, KS cut public spending on schools."

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    An article posted on ThinkProgress on October 5, 2010, authored by Lee Fang, attracted attention and some controversy. The article alleged that the United States Chamber of Commerce funded political attack campaigns from its general fund, which solicits funds from foreign sources.[13] The story was repeated by the Huffington Post and the progressive activist group MoveOn.org asked the DoJ to launch a criminal investigation of the Chamber's funding.[14]

The non-partisan fact-checking website FactCheck.org analyzed the claim that "foreign corporations are 'stealing our democracy' with secret, illegal contributions funneled through the U.S. Chamber of Commerce," noting that ThinkProgress made the initial allegations.[15] FactCheck concluded that "It’s a claim with little basis in fact."[15] Others questioned the claims made in the article as well. Eric Lichtblau of The New York Times pointed out that the article "provided no evidence that the money generated overseas had been used in United States campaigns."[16]

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    Lolz

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's all over now: search "oreilly wife beater", came in custody battle.

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    Looks like a bunch of slander by liberal websites with little basis in facts.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like a bunch of slander by liberal websites with little basis in facts.
    the O'Reilly kids claimed he choked, beat her.

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    the O'Reilly kids claimed he choked, beat her.
    One kid. His daughter would have been 10 at the time. Allegedly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kansas's Failed Experiment

The state's budget problems didn't go away after Governor Sam Brownback's reelection—they got worse. Will the lesson of tax-cuts-gone-awry give Republican candidates pause in 2016?

Now, Kansas's red ink has left the governor red- faced. Brownback is asking Republican state lawmakers to slow the income tax cuts over the next few years, raise taxes on cigarettes and alcohol, overhaul school funding, and divert money from the state's highway fund in order to balance the budget. It's not as if he's abandoning his conservative economic philosophy—he still wants to replace the state's income tax entirely with consumption taxes over time.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...riment/389874/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More low paying jobs, bigger Kansas tax deficits....why did Tlong leave that off his OP? hmmmm

Kansas Gov. Brownback's Budget Shortfall Solution: Spending Cuts!
    http://a5.img.talkingpointsmemo.com/...ifubpsndcw.jpg

He's not out to balance the Budget. He's out simply to destroy their Govt.

Kansans gave Brownback a 4 point win.

Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback (R) on Tuesday unveiled his plan to solve his state's serious financial woes: dramatic budget cuts to state agencies by 4 percent and move $201 million from specific funds to Kansas's general funds.

Those actions, according to the Kansas City Star, will open up $280 million Kansas can use to fill its budget deficit, which analysts projected to be about $279 million by the end of June 2015.

According to Reuters, $201.5 million would be taken from other funds and moved to the general fund and $78.5 million will be saved by cutting as much as $40.7 million from Kansas state contributions to the retirement system for public employees.

Brownback, before the 2014 election, was believed to be uniquely vulnerable (even in deep red Kansas) because of his decision to pass and implement steep tax cuts.

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    http://news.investors.com/ibd-edito....-cuts-work.htm

Jobs are really showing up on the Kansas side of Kansas City. Because tax rates are lower in Kansas than in Missouri, the Kansas side of the metro area produced twice as many jobs as the Missouri side from 2012 to 2014.

The Kansas Policy Ins ute ran the numbers and found that "over the last two years — post-tax reform — private-sector jobs increased by 5.6% on the Kansas side of the metro and only 2.2% on the Missouri side." KPI president Dave Trabert notes: "You can observe firsthand businesses that have moved across the state border into Kansas in the Kansas City area."

Wages are also growing in Kansas. Before the tax cut, workers on KC's Kansas side earned 40 cents an hour more than Missouri workers. Now the gap is $3.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Kansas Policy Ins ute

TLong, you're gullible stupid off, sucking down VRWC lies as if it were God's own word!

The Kansas Policy Ins ute (KPI) is a free-market American think tank based in Wichita, Kansas.[4] A member of the State Policy Network,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_Policy_Ins ute

State Policy History

The State Policy Network was founded in 1992 by Thomas A. Roe,[6] a South Carolina businessman who was a member of the board of trustees of the Heritage Foundation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Policy_Network

All are
    VRWC STINK TANKS lying to you, simpleton

Prove there's a direct causation between KS taxes causing unemployment and lower-taxes-for-the-wealthy+BigCorp causing rising employment, you ain't done it, yet.

trickle down LIES!

"ran the numbers"

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Repug/VRWC War On The Poor

Kansas Could Lose Millions for Limiting Welfare Recipients to $25 at ATMs

A first-of-its-kind provision that prevents welfare recipients in Kansas from withdrawing more than $25 a day from an ATM might violate federal law, and could jeopardize the state's federal funding if not amended.

The Social Security Act requires states to ensure that recipients of Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, or TANF, "have adequate access to their cash assistance" and can withdraw money "with minimal fees or charges."

At stake is about $102 million in TANF block grant funds that Kansas receives every year from the federal government.

The state's controversial ATM limit was added as an amendment to a welfare overhaul bill signed in April by Gov. Sam Brownback, a Republican. The new law also bars welfare recipients from spending their benefit money at certain places, including movie theaters, massage parlors, cruise ships and swimming pools. It also sets stricter eligibility requirements and shortened the amount of time people can receive assistance.

http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/3...-to-25-at-atms

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Republican policy failure #1: supply side economics fails

Not really. Prepare to be pwned.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

And did this resulted in a poorer education, directly, to how many children?

Please show causality.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What the news coverage missed was that if Kansas hasn’t exactly catapulted into the front ranks in economic growth and employment, then it has at least moved a long way from the stagnation of recent decades. Consider:

• In March 2013, unemployment in Kansas stood at 5.5%. It has since dropped to 4.2%, tied for 14th lowest in the country.

• From 1998-2012, Kansas ranked 38th in private-sector job growth, according Bureau of Labor Statistics data crunched by the Kansas Policy Ins ute. In 2013—the first year after the tax reform—the state climbed to 27th place, and in 2014 it moved to 21st, placing it in the top half of states.

• In the second half of 2014, hourly wages in Kansas grew 3.5%, according to BLS data, far faster than the national average of 1.9%.
    Ah the joys of cherry picking, and leaving out the important bits of information needed to really understand things. Great if you want mindless Koolaid for the faithful to drink, not so much if you are looking for decent public policy.

1-Tax cuts don't happen in a vacuum.

Without solid data as to what would have happened without the tax cuts, you can't really say that the tax cuts caused the benefits or harm. It is a bit like trying to say "it rained after I washed my car, so therefore rain is caused by me washing my car".

2-Beware what you aren't told

Missing in the blurb above, is what happened prior to the "second half of 2014". If the tax cuts and cuts in services made wages plummet in the state faster than the national average, then when the economy finally bounced back, of course the rate would be faster. 3.5% growth on $10 is less money than, say, 1.9% of $50.
    Last edited by RandomGuy; 05-19-2015 at 12:40 PM. Reason: being careful out facts and honesty. Always strive for both

Thread Information