Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's alarming that Spurs fans are delusional enough to ignore the massive, cancerous tumor at the PG position that will make it extremely difficult to build a contender, going forward, even if they add Aldridge..let alone adding a playmaking 2-guard that won't fit next to Parker..

It's nice to discuss, but thinking about the future when Parker is still on the books for 3 more years is just silly..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah man but that doesnt make it for 6 missing in action games, I want my team winning championships not having good nice people who doesnt have it when it counts.
    Danny didn't miss in action in 6 games. He missed in action in 3. Danny also won a le with the Spurs and in the year they lost in the finals, Danny broke the NBA finals record for 3's made in a series.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we lose Danny, Beli, and Cojo, and Manu retires or continues to decline our wing depth really has taken a serious hit. Danny's defense is worth a big payday. And when he's on his game our team is borderline unstoppable. I'd like to find a way to keep him, even if the Spurs have to pay the tax. (Though Holt may not allow that).
    Luckily, even with a max deal for LMA & Kawhi and Danny making 12M a year, Spurs shouldn't be anywhere close to the LT.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's alarming that Spurs fans are delusional enough to ignore the massive, cancerous tumor at the PG position that will make it extremely difficult to build a contender, going forward, even if they add Aldridge..let alone adding a playmaking 2-guard that won't fit next to Parker..

It's nice to discuss, but thinking about the future when Parker is still on the books for 3 more years is just silly..
    TP can't play any worse than this year. Even with that, Spurs were so close to beating LAC and would have beat HOU and been to their 4th straight WCF.

Even if TP stays exactly the same as he did in the playoffs, but Tiago gets healthy & the Spurs add LMA (while keeping Danny) how are they not legit? That's assuming TP gets no better at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Danny defended Paul better than any Spur. CP did the vast majority of his damage when anyone but Danny was guarding him. Danny is not a playmaker, but the argument he is a system player is very difficult to make considering the past two years he's had and the improvements in his game coupled with the decline of TP/Manu.
    All Im saying is he is not a key piece for our team, he is kinda worthy, but not 10/12 mil worthy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just to say it, I don't think the Spurs are getting Aldridge or Gasol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we lose Danny, Beli, and Cojo, and Manu retires or continues to decline our wing depth really has taken a serious hit. Danny's defense is worth a big payday. And when he's on his game our team is borderline unstoppable. I'd like to find a way to keep him, even if the Spurs have to pay the tax. (Though Holt may not allow that).
    I was referring to Danny, losing Beli Cojo and Manu or more guys would be a complete disaster but since Danny had a bad series his stock should not be 10-12 mil (is not fair but thats how the game works).
    Or at least he could go to the paycut route he is what? 27 years old? well for the next contract they will compensate it like they did with Finley, Manu, Parker etc. thats the Spur way.
    Im 100% positive Tiago must go, also I dont see Holt paying the tax either.
    In a way we need some fresh blood... some fresh offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It seems unlikely, I agree, but the potential is there and it's not outlandish at all. There are so many variables though (trades, cap space, compe ion, etc..).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He could stay in Portland too, but given his whole family business thing I as a player would take SA over Dallas any day of the week.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All Im saying is he is not a key piece for our team, he is kinda worthy, but not 10/12 mil worthy.
    He's absolutely crucial and forget about the money; it's all relative.

Along with Aldridge, he's really the key to the off season, since Leonard and Duncan aren't going anywhere and neither is Ginobili, unless he retires. All the rest (including one of Splitter or Diaw) are merely collateral damage.

Speaking of Splitter or Diaw, this reminds me of Parker or Hill in '11. I never for a second believed Parker was going to be the one dealt then and though I wouldn't quite go that far in this case (it depends on how would a gap there is in the offers), I don't see Splitter being the one dealt in this case. He'd be the better short and long term fit next to Aldridge, plus he'd be more difficult to replace, for all the obvious reasons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A perfect off season would be Spurs getting LMA while having Tim return and keeping Kawhi/Green/Tiago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What elite playmakers were there this year for SA - the year Green broke the record for 3's in a season for the Spurs franchise. Parker had a terrible year as did Manu. Neither of those guys resembled anything close to elite playmakers, yet Danny still thrived.

Even if you want to argue Danny is a system player on offense (which I think is wrong - despite his limitations), you can't argue his defense is system based. Even for his defense alone, it will be great to have a Danny/Kawhi defensive wing combo locked up. You can build around that when you have flexiblity. It makes it so much easier to build with that in place.
    You've made my point for me. Manu and Parker weren't great this year and Danny isn't a player who is good enough to step up in that void. He will always be able to make threes because he's an elite catch and shoot player, hitting 45% on them last year, but when other guards were struggling he couldn't pick up the slack. Look at someone like Wesley Matthews who has an EFG% of 50% on pull up jump shots vs Green who only hits 40%, hits 50% on drives compared to 40% for Danny and has ability to post up while also being an elite "3&D" player.

Like I say I want to keep him and there's players I'd give up before letting him go, but he's not Wesley Matthews who is more than a system player. Green can only do two things and while he does them very well, we can't count on him to do more as we go forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A perfect off season would be Spurs getting LMA while having Tim return and keeping Kawhi/Green/Tiago.
    I agree. Though if push came to shove I'd rather keep Boris over Tiago (if it comes to that).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's absolutely crucial and forget about the money; it's all relative.

Along with Aldridge, he's really the key to the off season, since Leonard and Duncan aren't going anywhere and neither is Ginobili, unless he retires. All the rest (including one of Splitter or Diaw) are merely collateral damage.

Speaking of Splitter or Diaw, this reminds me of Parker or Hill in '11. I never for a second believed Parker was going to be the one dealt then and though I wouldn't quite go that far in this case (it depends on how would a gap there is in the offers), I don't see Splitter being the one dealt in this case. He'd be the better short and long term fit next to Aldridge, plus he'd be more difficult to replace, for all the obvious reasons.
    I dont feel him as a crucial piece he is just a 3&D guy who cant create plays or his own shot, maybe he is great but not for me at least.
    After all this time Tiago still cant even make a mid jumper he is slow and fragile, If he stays someone must go or... Holt should pay a lot of taxes and everybody is happy

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm down for more Timmy, but Manu should retire. He's done. he had just enough for us to get over in '14 but now he is done.

Tony should retire too. lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree. Though if push came to shove I'd rather keep Boris over Tiago (if it comes to that).
    To me, Tiago is a much better player than Boris in a bubble. But if it's LMA the Spurs get, I'd rather have Tiago for sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You've made my point for me. Manu and Parker weren't great this year and Danny isn't a player who is good enough to step up in that void. He will always be able to make threes because he's an elite catch and shoot player, hitting 45% on them last year, but when other guards were struggling he couldn't pick up the slack. Look at someone like Wesley Matthews who has an EFG% of 50% on pull up jump shots vs Green who only hits 40%, hits 50% on drives compared to 40% for Danny and has ability to post up while also being an elite "3&D" player.

Like I say I want to keep him and there's players I'd give up before letting him go, but he's not Wesley Matthews who is more than a system player. Green can only do two things and while he does them very well, we can't count on him to do more as we go forward.
    So breaking the record for Spurs 3's while playing elite defense isn't filling the void? Is Kawhi a system player because he couldn't fill the void and advance SA out of the first round?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    keeping tp one more year is important
    he has chemistry with Duncan and company
    then if tp goes downhill further you then would consider to trade him

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dont feel him as a crucial piece he is just a 3&D guy who cant create plays or his own shot, maybe he is great but not for me at least.
    After all this time Tiago still cant even make a mid jumper he is slow and fragile, If he stays someone must go or... Holt should pay a lot of taxes and everybody is happy
    No offense, but these are extremely outdated takes. Green and Splitter are "role players", to be sure, but elite ones that would be impossible for this team to replace.

The front office knows this and I trust are intelligent enough to realize that, unless someone comes close to or flat out offers Green the max or blows them away with an offer for Splitter, both need to be retained.

I enjoy watching a focused Diaw play as much as anyone and am as frustrated as anyone with Splitter's lack of durability and occasional bouts of soft play, but this isn't about who you like better or like watching more. This is about what's best for the team, in the present and future.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We'd only need to lose one of those guys to bring in Aldridge, which is more than worth it.

Edit: Depending on what Timmy and Manu want to get paid of course. If they want salarys at the same level as last year then we'd need to get rid of more guys
    Losing Splitter should do the trick to bring back everybody else + Aldridge.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So breaking the record for Spurs 3's while playing elite defense isn't filling the void? Is Kawhi a system player because he couldn't fill the void and advance SA out of the first round?
    The record needs to be looked at in context. He broke it by 1 and 7 other guys in the league made more 3s this year, that record will continue to tumble over and over in the next decade as teams shoot more.

I'd also say he didn't really step up compared to previous seasons, per 36 minutes his made 3's have been 2.9, 2.9 and 3.0 the past 3 seasons. He came and did what he has always done since he's been here, which is play very good defense and shoot 3s very well, but that's all he'll ever do. There's nothing wrong with that, he is who he is, and that's a player who thrives in a certain situation.

Leonard in contrast took on a much bigger role as a ball handler when Tony and Manu struggled. He showed in the playoffs he may not quite be ready to shoulder the offensive load, but the kid is only 23 and it was his first year really getting his number called. Maybe he'll never be a dominant player with the ball in his hands, but you can see his improvement from his rookie year where he basically played the Green role to now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No offense, but these are extremely outdated takes. Green and Splitter are "role players", to be sure, but elite ones that would be impossible for this team to replace.

The front office knows this and I trust are intelligent enough to realize that, unless someone comes close to or flat out offers Green the max or blows them away with an offer for Splitter, both need to be retained.

I enjoy watching a focused Diaw play as much as anyone and am as frustrated as anyone with Splitter's lack of durability and occasional bouts of soft play, but this isn't about who you like better or like watching more. This is about what's best for the team, in the present and future.
    It's practically sacrilege to say here, but I actually don't think it would be hard to replace 80% of what Green gives us and has potential to become a much more versatile player. Look at someone like Justin Anderson in the draft or a Wesley Matthews, Demarre Carroll, Kyle Korver etc... These are guys who are drafted in the late first/second round and can often be picked up for MLE money on the free agent market by someone willing to take a chance on them, Bowen was the same.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Wes Matthews was widely expected to receive a massive contract prior to his career-altering injury, it's not really a fair comparison, I don't think anybody thinks Green is as good as Matthews was prior to his injury..same with Khris Middleton, widely expected to receive a massive contract, too, substantially more than Green..

The reality is that those types of players are scarce..you aren't going to find many 2-way wing guys that can create for themselves, there are only a handful(Jimmy Butler, Klay Thompson, Paul George if he's still right, Middleton, Kawhi) and most of them are going to receive max or near-max contracts, at this point..with the progression of advanced metrics and raw numbers becoming an antiquated method of assessing a player's worth, the least valuable players in the NBA have become volume scorers that only give you production on 1 side of the ball..

Even 1-dimensional defensive players like Tony Allen have become obsolete, as well, as we saw once the Warriors adjusted and began guarding him with Andrew Bogut, which is pathetic..

I agree with your overall premise that Green is a better fit on a team with superior creators than the Spurs currently possess, I've mentioned it several times since the Spurs were eliminated..however, what can the Spurs do? They can't sign a viable 2-way SG/SF replacement, because there aren't any realistic options that will be cheaper..if you sign an offensive-minded SG, how do you start him next to the ball-dominant, no-defense playing Parker in the backcourt? The team already struggles to get Kawhi enough looks, it would only get worse by adding another high-volume player..adding another offensive-minded wing player, especially to replace Green, would also imply that Kawhi will be forced to exert more energy defensively, which will naturally impede his offensive responsibility, too..

Your point is valid, the Spurs do need playmaking, especially with Ginobili's impending retirement, but they're in an extremely difficult position with Parker's decline..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those guys you named are all going to make great money. They are not easily replicated and there aren't many proven guys who can do what those 4 guys can do and Green is the most proven of them all. I get the idea of thinking someone who can't create for others like Lebron isn't that useful - but things are changing. Look at Kawhi - he's not a traditional franchise guy. His holes in his offensive game make it strange to peg him as an elite player, but his overall package outweighs that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wes Matthews was widely expected to receive a massive contract prior to his career-altering injury, it's not really a fair comparison, I don't think anybody thinks Green is as good as Matthews was prior to his injury..same with Khris Middleton, widely expected to receive a massive contract, too, substantially more than Green..

The reality is that those types of players are scarce..you aren't going to find many 2-way guys that can create for themselves, there are only a handful(Jimmy Butler, Klay Thompson, Paul George if he's still right, Middleton, Kawhi) and most of them are going to receive max or near-max contracts, at this point..with the progression of advanced metrics and raw numbers becoming an antiquated method of assessing a player's worth, the least valuable players in the NBA have become volume scorers that only give you production on 1 side of the ball..

Even 1-dimensional players like Tony Allen have become obsolete, as well..

I agree with your overall premise that Green is a better fit on a team with better creators than the Spurs currently possess, I've mentioned it several times..however, what can the Spurs do? They can't sign a 2-way SG/SF, because there aren't any realistic options..if you sign an offensive-minded SG, how do you start him next to the ball-dominant, no-defense playing Parker in the backcourt? The team already struggles to get Kawhi enough looks, it would only get worse by adding another high-volume player..

Your point is valid, the Spurs do need playmaking, especially with Ginobili out, but they're in an extremely difficult position with Parker's decline..
    My point is that you need to find those guys before they prove themselves. Butler was the #30 pick, Middleton #46, Green #46, Korver #51, Matthews went undrafted, these guys are out there to be had. Obviously it's not easy and I don't want to lose Green as he fulfills an important role for a contender, a team like Memphis would kill for him, but he's not a piece like Leonard who we absolutely have to keep for the future and I feel that's how he is often portrayed.

Thread Information