Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let him play for France..Maybe after playing with France he will require rest in RS...I'd be fine with that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, his wife had a baby at the beginning of the season. Those little ones drain you. Especially the first one. He probably had some late nights and it made him tired and he got a little out of condition. He also missed a lot of time due to injury and couldn't run and stay in shape. Tony is compe ive. He's not going to be happy with his play this season and he'll address it this offseason.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, his wife had a baby at the beginning of the season. Those little ones drain you. Especially the first one. He probably had some late nights and it made him tired and he got a little out of condition. He also missed a lot of time due to injury and couldn't run and stay in shape. Tony is compe ive. He's not going to be happy with his play this season and he'll address it this offseason.
    Can't people that have the resources TP has (money) get a live in nanny to take care of the baby?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If anything, he needs to stop porking Becky and he'll regain focus. It's like when Andre Agassi was porking Brooke Shields, he was terrible. Then after that ended, he got better again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Quickly looking at his progressive decline in numbers from his superstar season until his current bench-caliber season:

2012-2013: 23 PER(#2 on the team), 59% TS, .206 WS/48(#1 on the team), 2.7 BPM(#6), 2.6 VORP(#4), shot 67% at the rim
    2013 playoffs: 21.5 PER(#1), 52% TS, .152 WS/48(#4), 2.8 BPM(#4), 0.8 VORP(#3), 61% at the rim

2013-2014: 18.9 PER(#4), 55.5% TS, .141 WS/48(#6), -0.5 BPM(worst in the rotation, #9), 0.8 VORP(worst in the rotation, #9), 63% at the rim
    2014 playoffs: 15.8 PER(#7), 53% TS, .071 WS/48(#9), -1.2 BPM(#9), 0.1 VORP(#9), 63% at the rim

2014-2015: 15.9 PER(#6), 54% TS, .100 WS/48(#9), -2 BPM(#10), 0 VORP(#10), 60% at the rim
    2015 playoffs: 6.4 PER(#9), 39% TS, -0.067 WS/48(#9), -6.5 BPM(#9), -0.2 VORP(#9), 48% at the rim

He probably isn't as bad as he looked in the Clippers series, as it's tough to project a sample size based on a single series(since there's a lot of hot/cold shooting stretches in the playiffs), but his decline has clearly been progressive to the extreme..he had a substantial drop-off from 2013 to 2014, followed by a severe drop-off from 2014 to 2015..

Generally speaking, you don't really see players rebounding from a serious 2-year decline, especially when it's a 32-year old, speed-reliant PG..there are examples like Tim, he looked finished as a star-caliber player earlier in this decade, but he has never been reliant on physical ability, he just needed to adjust his style..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Floaters all day!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not intended to be a TP-bashing thread. But here's another article that discusses the TP declining issue:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-antonio-spurs
    Tim could, Manu could, i think Tony can.

Of course there is the elephant in the building that says "none of the above fell so hard at age 32" but anyways you have to think that TD would approach tony on how to take better care of his body in order for him to be back again on top.

Clearly these last two seasons Tony didnīt prepare well and was and lacked in the physical department to put it slightly.

It is a question mark but i think he can be a top 10 pg again if he wanted to, what bothers me is that he really was never the when either Tim and Manu needed him, while the other two always played above average when for one or another reason Tony failed to deliver.

That should be always be accounted to him, he took a two years vacation (or to play for France) the last two years of Tim Duncan career and that is very disgusting to me.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Tony can recover from last season as I think it had more to do with injury than decline. The key to being an effective player on the other side of 30 is to tweak your game to accommodate the loss of athleticism that comes with age. The key is that Parker is still super fast, even if he's lost a step. So he can still be effective getting into the lane. The big thing he needs to develop is a 3 point shot. He's been a good mid range shooter and a finisher in the paint, but he needs to be able to hit the three to create more space, which in turn, helps him get in the lane. Getting in better shape, taking care of his body to avoid injury, and developing a three point shot will make him a high quality point guard for two more seasons, and then he probably diminish to a back up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs just need TP to be an above average player. If healthy I absolutely think he is.

Get Paycheck, Get Drunk HankChinaski's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Achilles injury he has is something that will strip you of lateral movement and it will affect his lift when he jumps. I am not surprised by his drop in his game during the playoffs. Recovering from that during the off season will go a long way with showing a return to form. He does need to transition his game to the 3 pt line more as he ages now and that break neck speed he relied on will break him down faster attempting to play at that pace all the time. He will just be more prone to these kinds of injuries.

His contract does sting but I don't see an instant replacement that does what he does coming in this off season with him gone.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't people that have the resources TP has (money) get a live in nanny to take care of the baby?
    Maybe, but if you have any kids, especially the first, you don't want to dump the kid off to a stranger if you don't have to. I'm not sure this is the problem, but I could see it being somewhat of a problem. I had a lot of sleepless nights with each of my kids. I can't imagine needing to keep myself in top shape on three hours of sleep at his age.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can pigs fly?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He can't , he's washed up now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah. He's a point guard that's never been a good shooter or playmaker and has always relied on his speed in order to be effective. This isn't an injury related issue. It's the typical decline you see with these types of point guards when they hit their early 30s. TP's low bball IQ makes this even more problematic since he seems unable to adjust his game in order to accommodate for his physical shortcomings. He's the Kobe Bryant of the Spurs unfortunately - narcissistic chucker that's holding the team back with his albatross contract and negative impact on the court.

We should be thankful we had two legends that were able to have remarkable longevity in Tim and Manu. They're just on another tier compared to poor Tony.
    so you are saying Parker had speed? Isn't speed supposed to be a positive thing? What the are you trying to say here?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so you are saying Parker had speed? Isn't speed supposed to be a positive thing? What the are you trying to say here?
    Until you lose that speed at age 32 and have no other notable skills to fall back on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Until you lose that speed at age 32 and have no other notable skills to fall back on.
    Are you trying to imply that Parker had a notable skill on a BB court? After months of well thought takes and solid posts, are you seriously going to turn into a Parker fanboy?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he's going to shock a lot of the loud mouths around here next season; he'll be healthy, rested, and playing with a bit of a chip on his shoulder.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He can probably get back to being a league average starter. Don't underestimate his work ethic and pride. This is a guy who's best seasons came in his 11th and 12th, after he was already highly accomplished.

In addition to a natural decline and injuries, I think he flat out got sloppy the past two years. Probably suc bed to mental and physical fatigue and because he had so little time off, didn't do enough work on his body/game. He also probably thought he and the team were good enough to where he could half ass it and they'd still be elite.

I'm confident he'll have a renewed sense of dedication and motivation this off season. He knows he's at the point now where he needs to do everything aging players in this league do to remain relevant.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ST wrote off Duncan how many years ago?

lol

PRESSURE MAKES DIAMONDS
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

lol
    TD is top two all time, second only to Jordan.

TP ain't even top 500.

No comparison.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TD is top two all time, second only to Jordan.

TP ain't even top 500.

No comparison.
    Of course there is.

ST has been throwing dirt on one player for five straight years.

Now they want to start in on another because the first one all over them so many times for so long.

lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That adds nothing ^. It's a legit concern and you just dismissing things like "lol ST blah blah" doesn't make it not true. Tp has regressed and bottomed out last year. It's a legit concern worth discussing for numerous reasons that go beyond just wanting to on TP.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That adds nothing ^. It's a legit concern and you just dismissing things like "lol ST blah blah" doesn't make it not true. Tp has regressed and bottomed out last year. It's a legit concern worth discussing for numerous reasons that go beyond just wanting to on TP.
    I'm just going by ST history.

ST is really terrible at judging players. Posters are super emo and rarely objective.

Sure players get worse as they age -- I won't listen to ST posters about when any given player is done though. They were wrong in the worst way on the best player in Spurs history.

lol adding

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

lol

He's an exception not the rule. For every TD there's hundreds of players that just keep on deteriorating.

Thread Information