Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only problem with this reasoning is that it can never be proved who the superior talent ("missed opportunities") would have been that would have agreed to terms (minimum salaries), location (San Antonio), and role (no minutes). Who was the "smarter move"? Even when borderline NBA players like Jamychal Green are offered a spot by cutting an end of the bench guy that wants to be here, and is accepting of that role (Daye in that case), Green balks at the offer for various reasons. And, that was Jamychal ing Green. Not exactly a proven commodity in the NBA, proper. Baynes, similarly, seemed to seriously consider walking for twice the pay as Daye, and probably Green, and a bigger role and slightly more money than Ayres. It is too easy to say that because Jeff is sitting on the end of our bench The Spurs somehow "missed an opportunity". This thread is worthless without pics of specific "missed opportunity" end of the bench "smarter move" talent that wanted to come here, make almost nothing (in NBA terms of course), and basically never play, but would have exceeded the contributions of the guys we had.

Of course, everyone wants to try their GM skills out and trot out a vet minimum name or their favorite sleeper undrafted FA, D league prospect, trade machine guy, etc, without any real knowledge of whether said guy would play here, or, inevitably, be worth a , being why he is available in the first place.
    read the aminu thread in the think tank.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There was a great radio interview with Ayres and Bill Schoening this year..
    Bill: 'So how's that...err.. catching the ball thing you've been working on coming?'
    Jeff: 'Yeah I've been working on that....'

Later on during the game broadcast-
    'Manu is passing to Ayres under the basket....oops through hands....that's a turnover....'

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There was a great radio interview with Ayres and Bill Schoening this year..
    Bill: 'So how's that...err.. catching the ball thing you've been working on coming?'
    Jeff: 'Yeah I've been working on that....'

Later on during the game broadcast-
    'Manu is passing to Ayres under the basket....oops through hands....that's a turnover....'
    lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never hated Bonner, but it is pretty clear he is done. He may have value in a few games here and there in the right situations, but a roster spot just isn't worth those rare instances. Everyone seems to agree off the court he is a good dude. Put him on the payroll if that really is in the cards, but it is time to retire.

Ayers...good luck to him...somewhere else.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's time to get backups that can actually push the starters and be good cheerleaders.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How can people seriously say Bonner is worth the minimum? News flash; he's not, and hasn't been for a few years now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still need reg season minutes eaters. And they know the plays.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonner is great value at the min, as a 5th situational big. Besides he's destined to go to the front office once he's done playing.

Ayers will be replaced by another guy who'll suck and be a scapegoat because 14th men must be all stars.
    Just let Bonner go and try someone else for Gods sakes, it can't hurt. I agree on Ayres though, good riddance and pick someone else up who sucks but maybe an catch the ball and actually not miss 4 dunks in a game.

Bonner though as Hater said can't even hit threes anymore, he hit one I remember in the playoffs out of the 10 or so he took and I nearly fainted when he hit it! He is just flat out useless now and anyone can come in and do better IMO. He is not great value for anything he needs to retire already.
    Still need reg season minutes eaters. And they know the plays.
    Ehhhhhhh, get someone else in here who might actually be able to do something at all. Their ship has sailed, goodbye.
    How can people seriously say Bonner is worth the minimum? News flash; he's not, and hasn't been for a few years now.
    Your damn right, never will get his fans in here or anywhere acting like he is worth a ing . They will bring up that game 5 against OKC though if you want to hear how he is useful! The one game he actually did spread the floor and missed all of his shots but it's known as the BONNER game! Diaw started the second half though and did way better but it's not mentioned as much as Bonners game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's with the like for Bonner? Seriously. It's like Stockholm Syndrome for the guy here.
    I don't get it either, a few fans act like he is worth a ing though and they are wrong. He is a bad player, period end of story. He used to hit threes during the regular season but now he even sucks there! He always sucked in the playoffs and dissapeared, sorry but no love for that guy at all on my end of things and never was. He was the dark years, started when they were losing in the playoffs 09-011, he gets less minutes 012 and after and two finals and one win, coincidence?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was a vocal Bonner supporter during his prime years, but his production has fallen off a cliff. He can't even hit 3's anymore, which was his only NBA-level skill. It's time to move on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Get rid of them both. Pounding the is really grasping for content this time of year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah Errors can be replaced and I agree Bonner shooting has gone off the cliff. It's time to get some young guys who have some potential on the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah Errors can be replaced and I agree Bonner shooting has gone off the cliff. It's time to get some young guys who have some potential on the team.
    Very much so agreed, good riddance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonner is great value at the min, as a 5th situational big. Besides he's destined to go to the front office once he's done playing.

Ayers will be replaced by another guy who'll suck and be a scapegoat because 14th men must be all stars.
    Bonner is a nobody. it's not about having all stars for 13th, 14th, 15th men. it's not about having some lame duck role player, that you're grooming into a coach. It's about having good young talent that you can throw into the fire, when you're burning anyway. Maybe you get a performance like Joseph throwing it down hard on Ibaka, or Draymond turning an unfortunate David Lee injury situation into a blessing. Dellavedova and Bazemore, Capela and Ezeli. Matt Bonner has never been that, and it was clear, a long time ago. It's not about having all star depth. It's about having depth that's full of winners and somebody's, that can take a few garbage minutes and let you know they aren't nobody's.
    Last edited by DrunkTXLabrat; 05-25-2015 at 03:28 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It all depends on if Aldridge signs and the subsequent decision to trade either Splitter or Diaw to facilitate his signing.

Say he signs and they do in fact trade Splitter for something like Plumlee and a lottery protected future 1st from the Bucks. At that point, they'd need two bigs for the minimum to provide depth. Since both Bonner and Ayres know the system and are good teammates, they'd make sense.

It's more difficult to come up with a Diaw trade, but the same thing would apply, even if they got a lesser positional replacement with a similar enough skill set back.

If Aldridge doesn't sign and no other significant big does, then both Splitter and Diaw will more than likely be retained, at which point higher quality big depth would become the priority. I suspect they'd re-sign Baynes and target Teletovic, in this scenario. Clearly, that would spell the end of Bonner and Ayres.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was this time 2 years ago...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you mean 11 months ago? We are the champions!! Still!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wanted Bonners sorry ass gone after he was a FA in 09 for Gods sakes, then they re signed him. He just won't go away, he will be back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree on both...Bonner averaged 3.2 PPG, 2.5 RPG, and 0.5 AST on 45% shooting while making $4 million a year. And that dropped to 1.2 PPG, 0.6 RPG, and 0.5 AST in the playoffs. Ouch.

Thread Information