Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Does he tell him, "Play him in the bench and win 6th man of the year so people think you're better than Manu?

Or would he even have the guts to reduce his role?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the only way he can do it is to mask the truth. Get the team together, say that we will go through Kawhi, but twist it in way to seem like its to benefit or the advantage of TP. Which it may actually help TP, save his legs from 20s of dribble dribble and get some easier open shots.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop won't do either. He'll roll with Tony win or lose. It will be up to Tony to pass the torch, or not. If he doesn't, his waning years will be in the lottery.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Leonard had better get the off this team if he wants a career or his next 3 years will be spent backing up a broke down pg

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two things need to happen. First, they need to get a big pg, who is worthy of starting, and who at times can be on the floor with TP.
    Second, Manu will have to retire, so that TP can take the roll of offense from the bench. More than likely this would make Mills expendable, as well, which in turn would create the need for a tall wing on the bench who can hit the three.

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isn't this whole Tony Parker being a narcissistic egotistical maniac just an assumption by fans of equal mental/emotional state? Correct me if I'm wrong using direct quotes from himself, Popopvich, or teammates claiming this or eluding to such accusations. Because he has his moments on the court, but doesn't Kawhi, Timmy, Manu, and everyone else have a pretty decent opportunity to contribute?

Signed,
    Confused and perhaps ill-informed Spurs fan since '95

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And I mean it, correct me if I'm wrong, maybe I missed an interview or some kind of exclusive report.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Smh these dumb millennials like op who think alpha men have feelings like they do. We get it, op loves and needs attention. Parker is the teams alpha and win or lose he's not going to charge his game because of "feelings"

Smh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop won't do either. He'll roll with Tony win or lose. It will be up to Tony to pass the torch, or not. If he doesn't, his waning years will be in the lottery.
    Yep, pretty much..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Leonard had better get the off this team if he wants a career or his next 3 years will be spent backing up a broke down pg
    This.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop won't do either. He'll roll with Tony win or lose.
    This, tbh.

Which is the biggest reason I believe Tony bounces back with a vengeance next season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sometimes its better just RUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNN!!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop didn't seem too concerned about Tony's feelings or ego during the first several years in the league when he routinely screamed in his face, gesticulated wildly at him during most every time out, benched him when he wanted to bench him and was so verbally abusive to him that the national media started referring to TP as "Pop's whipping boy".

I think some folks on here weren't fans in those years to know the history between Pop and TP. Essentially, Pop abused TP until TP began to think and act like the pg that Pop always wanted to be himself. TP is the creation of Popovich. Pop molded him and tore him apart and put him back together repeatedly until TP did exactly what Pop wanted whenever Pop wanted it.

When Pop wanted TP to be a pg that just brought the ball up the court and gave it to "Teemy", that is what TP did. Those were the days of the offensive set that was "Four down" every time down court. Then, when TD's legs got bad enough, Pop told TP to bring the ball up and start a motion offense that allowed TD to essentially remain in one basic position while TP ran the loop play and TD examined the defensive set to see what the best play was going to be. That offense was interspersed with the Duncan/TP pick and roll and the Parker drive to the basket.

In other words, TP has always done what Pop wanted him to do or Pop sat him down.

The only player that Pop has EVER shown deference to was Tim. No player before or since TD has ever gotten (or deserved) what passes for kid-glove treatment from Pop (though what passes for kid-glove treatment from Pop is less like a kid-glove than it is for any other coach in the league). Even Danny Green on his worst days has not begun to scratch the surface of abuse that TP used to get from Pop virtually every night. The abuse stopped when TP knew what Pop wanted as well or better than Pop did.

Pop doesn't scream at TP as often as he used to because TP earned Pop's respect. If he fails to do what Pop wants, I think we can rest assured that Pop will do whatever it takes to keep Tim as happy as possible, including screaming, benching, or trading anyone else on the team. If Pop is still coaching and TP is playing, it is because Pop wants it that way. And Pop only wants what Tim wants.

Doesn't mean there isn't a sense of loyalty between Pop and TP. Just means that the the sense of loyalty between Pop and TD is the first and last loyalty.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop doesn't need to say anything. He will continue to start Tony but sub for him earlier and leave the sub in longer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop didn't seem too concerned about Tony's feelings or ego during the first several years in the league when he routinely screamed in his face, gesticulated wildly at him during most every time out, benched him when he wanted to bench him and was so verbally abusive to him that the national media started referring to TP as "Pop's whipping boy".

I think some folks on here weren't fans in those years to know the history between Pop and TP. Essentially, Pop abused TP until TP began to think and act like the pg that Pop always wanted to be himself. TP is the creation of Popovich. Pop molded him and tore him apart and put him back together repeatedly until TP did exactly what Pop wanted whenever Pop wanted it.

When Pop wanted TP to be a pg that just brought the ball up the court and gave it to "Teemy", that is what TP did. Those were the days of the offensive set that was "Four down" every time down court. Then, when TD's legs got bad enough, Pop told TP to bring the ball up and start a motion offense that allowed TD to essentially remain in one basic position while TP ran the loop play and TD examined the defensive set to see what the best play was going to be. That offense was interspersed with the Duncan/TP pick and roll and the Parker drive to the basket.

In other words, TP has always done what Pop wanted him to do or Pop sat him down.

The only player that Pop has EVER shown deference to was Tim. No player before or since TD has ever gotten (or deserved) what passes for kid-glove treatment from Pop (though what passes for kid-glove treatment from Pop is less like a kid-glove than it is for any other coach in the league). Even Danny Green on his worst days has not begun to scratch the surface of abuse that TP used to get from Pop virtually every night. The abuse stopped when TP knew what Pop wanted as well or better than Pop did.

Pop doesn't scream at TP as often as he used to because TP earned Pop's respect. If he fails to do what Pop wants, I think we can rest assured that Pop will do whatever it takes to keep Tim as happy as possible, including screaming, benching, or trading anyone else on the team. If Pop is still coaching and TP is playing, it is because Pop wants it that way. And Pop only wants what Tim wants.

Doesn't mean there isn't a sense of loyalty between Pop and TP. Just means that the the sense of loyalty between Pop and TD is the first and last loyalty.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    False premise.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Fantastic post.

The bolded part echoes something I have said all along: if Pop truly thought Parker was such a downgrade from Mills or Joseph, Pop would have no hesitation in sitting Parker down. The Parker-bashing on this site has mainly stemmed from those posters who have held a grudge against Parker for years and are trying to make a narrative out of it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

So much vanilla in one post.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So much vanilla in one post.
    You're as "vanilla" as they come....

Actually, you're a step below vanilla. You're "predictable". 90% of the time I see your name...I already know what you're about to post. Something about Parker being fat, calling another poster Vanilla, calling another poster a mainstream Big 3 fan, or posting about how you will never return if Kawhi doesn't score so many fanduel points.

The other 10% is like should I cheat on my girlfriend.

Keep doing your thing EVAY . I agree with the other guys...it was a great post. what this got player fan thinks...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Does he tell him, "Play him in the bench and win 6th man of the year so people think you're better than Manu?

Or would he even have the guts to reduce his role?
    "You are not fat. Thats not what I said"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a make or break year for Tony next year. I hope the criticism he got from the press and the fans motivates him to come back in better condition and I hope he realizes that he's gonna have to defer more to Kawhi whether he likes it or not.

His quickness is just about gone, so it's imperative he work on his long range shooting or teams will leave him open if he's not hitting those. The Clippers did a lot of that in the first round and he failed to hit those shots more than 75% of the time.

He's gonna have to rely on his basketball smarts like other past players have when their skills begin to deteriorate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is Leonard ready to be the offensive focus of this team? I'm not so sure. I appreciate that he's improved and can take advantage of certain matchups but I'm not convinced he's ready to have the offense run through him. The Spurs were at their best in 2013-2014 when we didn't have any one person the offense ran through. We were unpredictable, shared the ball and kept defenses guessing.

Get a pg who can get easy buckets and get the team moving the ball and we are set. Is that Tony or was his injury the beginning of the end?

P Double J R
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think Pop has any problems hurting egos when it comes to this team.

P Double J R
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Get a pg who can get easy buckets and get the team moving the ball and we are set. Is that Tony or was his injury the beginning of the end?
    An injured Tony was the beginning of the Spurs "beautiful basketball".

After Parker was injured in the WCF, the Spurs were moving the ball more and more in the Finals, and probably we wouldn't have seen the emergence of Kawhi and Patty with a healthy Tony.

Thread Information