Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keep in mind we are the defending champions that were led in scoring and assists throughout the regular season and playoffs by Tony Parker. He not only did that, but was also our only All-Star and All-NBA player last season as he led us in scoring in the Finals.

Kobe Bryant
    Amare Stoudemire
    Joe Johnson
    Carmelo Anthony
    Dwight Howard
    Chris Bosh
    Lebron James
    Chris Paul
    Deron Williams
    Kevin Durant
    Derrick Rose
    Blake Griffin
    Zach Randolph
    Lemarcus Aldridge
    Paul George
    Marc Gasol
    Brook Lopez
    Russell Westbrook
    Kevin Love
    David Lee
    Dwayne Wade
    Eric Gordon
    Roy Hibbert
    John Wall
    Gordon Hayward
    James Harden
    Chandler Parsons
    Tyson Chandler
    Josh Smith
    DeMarcus Cousins
    Al Jefferson
    Carlos Boozer
    Nene Hilario
    Andrew Bogut
    Rajon Rondo
    Derrick Favors

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sup Brunodynasty!

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    The only contracts on that list that are as horrendous as Porker's are Joe Johnson, D-Will, David Lee, Eric Gordon and Nenê. Great company for Porker to be in there

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Parker fans are more comparable to Kobe fans actually.

-Both groups idolize chuckers that were MJ fanboys growing up.
    -Both groups use ring count and absolute numbers to justify a player's greatness because the actual stats come short. Impact stats are also frowned upon. All-Star selections are considered high honors.
    -Using past accomplishments to justify the overpaid contracts of both players
    -Both fanbases scapegoat the poor performances with phantom injuries, ailments and other excuses.
    -Both groups want to stop any and all criticism of their favorite player. Lakersground bans users for anti-Kobe discussions. Spurstalk is less extreme but just as pathetic(posting long cats to derail threads for example)
    -Both groups constantly deflect blame onto the superior teammates. Kobe fans would actively blame Pau for losses. Parker fans would deflect criticism onto Manu in the past. Now they blame Kawhi.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    -Using past accomplishments to justify the overpaid contracts of both players?
    This is a Porker thread not a Manure thread. Stay the on topic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Out of all those players, only Amare, Rondo, David Lee and Hibbert gave less production than Parker, this year, tbh..Boozer and Parker were probably about even, maybe Porky has him beat..pretty terrible contract given by the FO..

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gordon Hayward, now that's a SF a GM would love to build around...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is this a list of players better than Parker?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only contracts on that list that are as horrendous as Porker's are Joe Johnson, D-Will, David Lee, Eric Gordon and Nenê. Great company for Porker to be in there
    Yeah, because Detroit's not hurting from that Josh Smith contract. Eric Gordon was a far worse contract too (nice job pawning him off) and he's had his only semi-useful stretch with NOP this year.

OP's point isn't that Parker has a good contract. It sucks. But it's not unprecedented and much of the league has a similar albatross. Difference is, most of those are expiring or near-expiring. In 24 months, Parker's will be an expiring deal too.

808s & Heartbreak Kool Bob Love's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gordon Hayward, now that's a SF a GM would love to build around...

808s & Heartbreak Kool Bob Love's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Worth every penny.

Parker has more rings than everyone on the list other than the clown Bryant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sup Brunodynasty!

wouldn't be shocked

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Worth every penny.

More fmvps toi

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Worth every penny.

Yes sir, and Parker's contract is half of Kobe's.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Out of all those players, only Amare, Rondo, David Lee and Hibbert gave less production than Parker, this year, tbh..Boozer and Parker were probably about even, maybe Porky has him beat..pretty terrible contract given by the FO..
    Please...here are 12 players who gave LESS production than Parker this season and had bigger contracts:

Amare Stoudemire
    Rajon Rondo
    David Lee
    Roy Hibbert
    Joe Johnson
    Deron Williams
    Brandon Roy (obviously)
    Paul George (obviously)
    Eric Gordon
    Carlos Boozer
    Nene Hilario
    Andrew Bogut

Then you have another whole tier of guys who make within $1 mil of Parker and had less production:

Andre Igodala
    Joakim Noah
    Kevin Garnett
    Nicolas Batum
    Andrea Bargnani

Then you look at all the other jokers who had slightly better seasons in terms of production but are playing on bottom feeders and whose resumes are complete jokes, you'll understand that Parker's contract isn't bad at all. He's earned every penny of what he's finally going to make.

I mean, do you guys forget that we were paying Tim Duncan $18.7 million in 2010-11 when he averaged 13.4/8.9 and then got destroyed in the playoffs by Z-bo even after Parker carried the Spurs to the #1 seed? I mean, let's talk about bad contract years why don't we?
    Last edited by SASdynasty!; 05-26-2015 at 10:59 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The real question is this: Would the Spurs finding a way to offload Parker's deal surpass the Leonard/Hill trade for best in franchise history?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The real question is this: Would the Spurs finding a way to offload Parker's deal surpass the Leonard/Hill trade for best in franchise history?
    Like I always say, thank God this franchise is run by people with some sense of loyalty rather than Spurstalk posters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is this a list of players better than Parker?
    It's the top 5th of that particular list.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Please...here are 13 players who gave LESS production than Parker this season and had bigger contracts:

Amare Stoudemire
    Rajon Rondo
    David Lee
    Roy Hibbert
    Joe Johnson better than Porky this year
    Deron Williams probably better than Porky this year
    Brandon Roy (obviously) stupid
    Paul George (obviously) stupid to include him
    Eric Gordon toss-up
    Carlos Boozer
    Nene Hilario
    Andrew Bogut comparing a DPOY-level player to Porky
    Rajon Rondo naming players twice to make the list seem longer

Then you have another whole tier of guys who make within $1 mil of Parker and had less production:

Andre Igodala better than Porky this year
    Joakim Noah better
    Kevin Garnett
    Nicolas Batum
    Andrea Bargnani

Then you look at all the other jokers who had slightly better seasons in terms of production but are playing on bottom feeders and whose resumes are complete jokes, you'll understand that Parker's contract isn't bad at all. He's earned every penny of what he's finally going to make.

I mean, do you guys forget that we were paying Tim Duncan $18.7 million in 2010-11 when he averaged 13.4/8.9 and then got destroyed in the playoffs by Z-bo even after Parker carried the Spurs to the #1 seed? I mean, let's talk about bad contract years why don't we?
    9 players, maybe 10, including Garnett, who is just playing out his contract before retiring..impressive..

Out of the 450 or so players in the NBA, Parker is the in the bottom 15 contracts in the league(generous)..impressive..what a great thread idea..smh..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like I always say, thank God this franchise is run by people with some sense of loyalty rather than Spurstalk posters.
    Why? Serious question. Why is it a good thing that the Spurs are the type of organization that would give Parker that contract?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    9 players, maybe 10, including Garnett, who is just playing out his contract before retiring..impressive..

Out of the 450 or so players in the NBA, Parker is the in the bottom 15 contracts in the league(generous)..impressive..what a great thread idea..smh..
    Wow, you must have missed problem solving skills in school. I showed you 12 players who made more money and gave less production than Parker this season. That doesn't mean there are not tons of other players who make in the $5-10 million range whose contracts are worse than Parker's also (even if all you considered was this year's play). I don't have the time to go through all 450 contracts, but I gave you 10-15 specific ones (out of the top 50 contracts in the league) that were worse. No doubt extrapolation would give you dozens and dozens more. But you would probably have to take a high-school-level statistics class to understand that.

But here's a news flash for you...not sure if you understand this or not. Contracts are not based on how a player is going to perform that season. That's why there are limits on early contracts and why veterans make more. How basic a concepts is that to understand? That's the reason Tim Duncan made $18.7 million when he was putting up like 13 PPG (which dropped in the playoffs). Tim Duncan wasn't an $18 million guy in 2011 and he certainly wasn't a $22 million guy in 2010, but we paid him that for his past contributions. Even if Tim Duncan didn't have a resurgence, that money would have been worth it (even though it wasn't reflective of his level of play at that time...veteran contracts almost never are). We are paying Tony Parker partly for what he has done in the past and partly because when he's healthy he's a top-5 PG in the league. He was leading the MVP race 2 frieking seasons ago, give me a break with this narrative. Please tell me you understand some of this stuff.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why? Serious question. Why is it a good thing that the Spurs are the type of organization that would give Parker that contract?
    Because when you become the type of organization that doesn't pay you well when you are winning championships and a FMVP and also doesn't pay you well after you do, then who in the world is going to want to come play for you? Wow, you proved yourself by being a big part of 2 championship squads (2nd leading scorer and leading assist-man in 2003 and 2005). Then you prove yourself even more by winning a FMVP and outplay Lebron James in the 2007 Finals. Then you carry the team to the playoffs for several years putting up ridiculous numbers in the playoffs (what he did to Steve Nash in 2008 was straight up embarrassing). Then you finish top-6 in the MVP race twice (once leading the pack until you get injured) and have two more top-12 MVP finishes. Then you lead the team back to a WCF appearance, a Finals appearance, and a championship, leading your team in scoring and assists as well as being the only All-Star and All-NBA player on your team, including leading the team in scoring in the Finals and bailing your team out in its only elimination game, something Kawhi just couldn't do this year. And after all of that, you've never been and never will be a top-30 paid player in the league. Ever in your career (which Tony Parker never will). And yet people like you still want us to pay him LESS.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know I did not make the original comment but the reason it is a good thing is because in order for players t be loyal to you, you have to be loyal to them. A team like the Spurs rarely get a big name free agent. They have to draft and build a team. If you want you guys to stay with the team long term, and sometimes take less money, they have to trust the organization. Part of that trust is rewarding guys for taking less money in the past to stay with the team and help them win 4 of their 5 les.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know I did not make the original comment but the reason it is a good thing is because in order for players t be loyal to you, you have to be loyal to them. A team like the Spurs rarely get a big name free agent. They have to draft and build a team. If you want you guys to stay with the team long term, and sometimes take less money, they have to trust the organization. Part of that trust is rewarding guys for taking less money in the past to stay with the team and help them win 4 of their 5 les.
    You would think this would be common sense.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because when you become the type of organization that doesn't pay you well when you are winning championships and a FMVP and also doesn't pay you well after you do, then who in the world is going to want to come play for you? Wow, you proved yourself by being a big part of 2 championship squads (2nd leading scorer and leading assist-man in 2003 and 2005). Then you prove yourself even more by winning a FMVP and outplay Lebron James in the 2007 Finals. Then you carry the team to the playoffs for several years putting up ridiculous numbers in the playoffs (what he did to Steve Nash in 2008 was straight up embarrassing). Then you finish top-6 in the MVP race twice (once leading the pack until you get injured) and have two more top-12 MVP finishes. Then you lead the team back to a WCF appearance, a Finals appearance, and a championship, leading your team in scoring and assists as well as being the only All-Star and All-NBA player on your team, including leading the team in scoring in the Finals and bailing your team out in its only elimination game, something Kawhi just couldn't do this year. And after all of that, you've never been and never will be a top-30 paid player in the league. Ever in your career (which Tony Parker never will). And yet people like you still want us to pay him LESS.
    Truth Nuke by Dynasty, bomb doesn't do it justice

Thread Information