Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How is it defined?
    Is it the captain of the team? If so, then Avery Johnson and Derek Fishers would have been leaders for a few championship teams.

Is it the best player of the team? If so, then how is best player defined? It's pretty obvious on teams like the Heat last year, Mavs in 2011, or Spurs in 1999, 2003, 2005 and 2007. Say in the case of the 2008 Celtics, the Spurs last year.

Suggestions?

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    imo, last two minutes of Game 7, game is tied. Who does everyone say "This guy has to deliver RIGHT NOW. We will lose unless he pulls through"

Most teams it's obvious (2011 Mavs & Dirk, 2008 Celtics & Pierce), sometimes not so much. Even last year's Spurs with Kawhi as MVP, I think in the above scenario all eyes are still on Duncan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs are one of the few teams if not the only team who's coach is that guy. You look at it and say "Pop has to do something here" and you cannot just put Manu, Tim or Tony there like you could with Dirk or any other legit team leader, not in a few years actually. It comes down to Pop's chess match and sometimes he looks brilliant and others he looks like an idiot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How is it defined?
    Is it the captain of the team? If so, then Avery Johnson and Derek Fishers would have been leaders for a few championship teams.

Is it the best player of the team? If so, then how is best player defined? It's pretty obvious on teams like the Heat last year, Mavs in 2011, or Spurs in 1999, 2003, 2005 and 2007. Say in the case of the 2008 Celtics, the Spurs last year.

Suggestions?
    The leader is the guy that every other player will defer to. The leader is the guy that can get you a bucket under any cir stance. James has been the leader of the Heat and Cavs. Duncan, Manu, and Parker rotated over the years but it was mostly Duncan. Kiwi has been and will always be a role player like I've always said. Kiwi winning the MVP was like Cedric Maxwell winning it for the 80's Celtics. It was Magic for the Lakers... Jordan for the Bulls... Bird for the Celtics... Thomas for the Pistons... and Hakeem for the Rockets.

Now on to the reason this thread was started. Kobe was the leader of the Lakers the moment he was drafted. He proved it in his rookie season with those air balls in Utah. If Shaq or Van Exel had an ounce of leadership in them... which they didn't... they would have never allowed rookie Kobe to take those shots with the game on the line. Kobe has maintained that position for his entire career.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    How is it defined?

Suggestions?
    Yeah, I have a suggestion:::link Cowherd's show this morning so we can listen to it from the horse's ass mouth.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So it seems like the person taking the clutch shot, or expected to create on offense in the final possession would be the guy?

If that is the case, then Ginobili would be the leader on the 2005 Spurs, no? In fact, wouldn't most guards (and especially PGs) be in that role?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So it seems like the person taking the clutch shot, or expected to create on offense in the final possession would be the guy?

If that is the case, then Ginobili would be the leader on the 2005 Spurs, no? In fact, wouldn't most guards (and especially PGs) be in that role?
    Tim Duncan is the leader of the Spurs...always has been. Always will be.

/discussion

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Tim Duncan is the leader of the Spurs...always has been. Always will be.

/discussion
    Though he did get kicked to the curb by Amy almost 2 Junes ago. She led ya's right into the ter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Though he did get kicked to the curb by Amy almost 2 Junes ago. She led ya's right into the ter.
    So ornery cubs...so ornery.

What does this have to do with Duncan being the "leader of the Spurs"?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    robert horry is the GOAT leader

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    So ornery cubs...so ornery.

What does this have to do with Duncan being the "leader of the Spurs"?
    Just gettin' my ornery on.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    It's probably different for each team. See, I disagree with mono that Pierce was the leader of that 2008 Celtics team. He was the guy who had the basketball at the end of games. But he was that same guy before the Celtics became contenders when they were a lottery team. KG was the leader of the defense and the defense was the reason they became a championship team. I think that was their iden y when they became relevant again. I think KG was that team's leader, not Pierce.

By the third championship for the Shaq-Kobe Lakers, Kobe was the one who had the basketball in his hands at the end of games, but I know plenty of people on here would never agree that Kobe was the actual leader of those Shaq-Kobe teams. And while Blake Griffin is the best player on the Clippers, I view Chris Paul as the leader of that team. So it's not who the best player is or who the clutch performer is. It depends on the team. Go to the 1999 Spurs and even if Duncan had clearly become the guy on offense and at a young age already the best player on the team and FMVP, I don't think he was the leader of the team yet. I still think it was David Robinson. He may have started to defer to Tim on the court, but did it mean he deferred his leadership? I don't think so, not yet at that point. By 2003, sure. But not on that 1999 team. I don't believe so.

Like people, championship teams can have different personalities. To me, the leader is the guy who is the face of the team, the spokesperson who gets in front of the camera and takes responsibility when things go bad, the guy who defers credit to his teammates and coaches when things go well. That's the leader. Not just about the stats a player puts up or his ability to make clutch shots or clutch plays. It's not that those things aren't important as both will give a player clout to become a leader. But I see leadership as a guy who will be the first guy to shoulder blame while being the last guy to take credit. That's my view of "good" leadership anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chatting with coach
    Kobe Bryant

Retweet
    Favorite
    More

Can't tell which one is the coach.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    GM Mitch Kupchak catches up with @kobebryant during today's draft workouts
    Retweet
    Favorite
    More

• RETWEETS200
    • FAVORITES269

11:52 AM - 28 May 2015

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which brings us to golden states. Is curry the leader? If not, who else?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And narutoluva. Stop spamming the thread with Kobe. No one will mistake him as a leader.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Kobe doesn't have the temperament to lead. He's the epitome of the loner. He grudges others their onions. It is uncomfortable watching him in the society of the NBA court. He wants to lead, he wants to be gracious of others and their accomplishments but it never gets past his pathology.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    The most influential player in a repeat, obviously.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The leader is the guy that every other player will defer to. The leader is the guy that can get you a bucket under any cir stance. James has been the leader of the Heat and Cavs. Duncan, Manu, and Parker rotated over the years but it was mostly Duncan. Kiwi has been and will always be a role player like I've always said. Kiwi winning the MVP was like Cedric Maxwell winning it for the 80's Celtics. It was Magic for the Lakers... Jordan for the Bulls... Bird for the Celtics... Thomas for the Pistons... and Hakeem for the Rockets.

Now on to the reason this thread was started. Kobe was the leader of the Lakers the moment he was drafted. He proved it in his rookie season with those air balls in Utah. If Shaq or Van Exel had an ounce of leadership in them... which they didn't... they would have never allowed rookie Kobe to take those shots with the game on the line. Kobe has maintained that position for his entire career.
    So he led from his 15 minutes a game, 7.6ppg off the bench. Got it. Tim was never a bench player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The most influential player in a repeat, obviously.
    Which wasn't your Jerry West for example, although he is the only player ever to win the Finals MVP on the losing team, and he's the logo of the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So he led from his 15 minutes a game, 7.6ppg off the bench. Got it. Tim was never a bench player.

Yup. Question? When Kobe passes it to himself like that does he get an assist and a rebound as well?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Which wasn't your Jerry West for example, although he is the only player ever to win the Finals MVP on the losing team, and he's the logo of the NBA.
    Shouldn't reward losers, wasn't my call.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shouldn't reward losers, wasn't my call.
    His jersey is in your rafters.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    His jersey is in your rafters.
    Not my call, he didn't repeat.

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    It's not all about offense, but I think that has to play a larger part in defining leadership. If you aren't willing or capable of taking the shot that will make or break the team, if you can hide behind the "well i played great defense and rebounded, that guy missed the big shots" excuse, then you aren't a leader.

Thread Information