Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Time to upgrade my 680

Running on medium is not something I'm going to tolerate. Damn Bethesda games and their forced V-Sync too

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Time to upgrade my 680

Running on medium is not something I'm going to tolerate. Damn Bethesda games and their forced V-Sync too
    Wow, I saw a benchmark with the 390x and 770 performing alike, and 770 is just an overclocked 680 right? Or maybe it was 290 and 770. Do you have the newest driver that was released yesterday? It's supposed to run pretty well on a 770 from what I have heard.

Are you running your CPU overclocked? Because Fallout 4 is really CPU bound from benchmarks I have seen. Are you getting 99% gpu usage? Because I have heard one of the biggest performance killers is having shadow distance cranked up. Also there is basically no difference in texture settings other than vram usage.

Last edited by baseline bum; 11-10-2015 at 11:01 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    God damn I want that Fallout edition 970 now that I have a case with a window.

, I have an EVGA 970 but not the one that backplate fits on (I have the original SC version and the Fallout edition is the SSC), so I just can't go buy that backplate on ebay either.

But that would be beyond re ed to run two 970s for 1080p on a 60 Hz monitor, and I'm not buying a new monitor until one of GSync and FreeSync kills off the other.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Real talk though DJR210, I would absolutely not buy a new GPU in your shoes. With Pascal releasing in 2016 and with a node shrink to 14 nm from 28 nm as well as HBM2 vram, you could be looking at Pascal being a pretty huge jump up in power. Think of how huge a jump the 680 at 28 nm was over the 480/580 at 40 nm. The 580 was basically irrelevant overnight, and 680 wasn't even supposed to be their 80 series Kepler gpu initially. The 680 was originally going to be their 670 but it was beating AMD's flagship 7970 so they released it as the 680 and sat on the 780. So really the node shrink should be thought of as 480/580 at 40 nm vs 780/ an at 28 nm.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also I think there is a way to turn off FO4's vsync in the ini files. I don't think they tied physics to the framerate like they did in Skyrim.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, I saw a benchmark with the 390x and 770 performing alike, and 770 is just an overclocked 680 right? Or maybe it was 290 and 770. Do you have the newest driver that was released yesterday? It's supposed to run pretty well on a 770 from what I have heard.

Are you running your CPU overclocked? Because Fallout 4 is really CPU bound from benchmarks I have seen. Are you getting 99% gpu usage? Because I have heard one of the biggest performance killers is having shadow distance cranked up. Also there is basically no difference in texture settings other than vram usage.

I need to upgrade the drivers, I have the second newest ones. Yeah my CPU is at 4.5 ghz at the moment. My shadows are on medium. VRAM for me is no issue, I've yet to see it pass 2 GB so far.

As for ini, yeah you can unlock the FPS but it makes the ty Gamebryo engine the bed when I try and turn on. G-Sync.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I need to upgrade the drivers, I have the second newest ones. Yeah my CPU is at 4.5 ghz at the moment. My shadows are on medium. VRAM for me is no issue, I've yet to see it pass 2 GB so far.

As for ini, yeah you can unlock the FPS but it makes the ty Gamebryo engine the bed when I try and turn on. G-Sync.
    Damn ElNono says his 4.9 GHz i5-6600k is a bottleneck in his Fallout 4 performance guide, and that it plays way better with his i7.

This kind of is why I was happy as to sell my i5 for the price I got and upgrade to a Xeon. Lots of games are designed for console first and consoles have eight really weak cores, so you had to think eventually pc games were going to want to scale across 8 hardware threads also due to lazy ports from console. It makes you think the higher end like the 5820k is going to be the way to go.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 11-11-2015 at 09:56 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tbh, it runs great on my i5 3.3 ghz and 960 with the latest NVidia drivers...

Granted, if you compare the graphics to Witcher 3, it's , even on Ultra, and I can see that kind of complaints... but frankly, the game plays great so far...

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Yeah I just kept this locked to 60FPS, as I'm playing it on my 48" TV.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm guessing that in the somewhat near future, FO4 will be much better optimized and playable for lower tier cards and ultra won't be the drag on top end systems that it is now.

Flipped by Pip Boy Edition for $207.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Valve
    Steambox
    Steam controller
    Linux
    "up to 30 FPS slower than Windows 10 on the same hardware"
    Linux was supposed to streamline running apps and services to free up more power
    waste of money

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Valve
    Steambox
    Steam controller
    Linux
    "up to 30 FPS slower than Windows 10 on the same hardware"
    Linux was supposed to streamline running apps and services to free up more power
    waste of money
    It's a combination of drivers and somehow Valve really ed up their SteamOS builds. An OS like Ubuntu will still take quite a hit compared to Windows since OpenGL isn't anywhere near as efficient as DirectX and since OpenGL drivers aren't a huge priority now like they were 15 years ago when all the fps games were written in OpenGL, but it doesn't take the enormous performance hit you're seeing in SteamOS. Nevertheless, the only chance Linux has right now is Vulkan. You have to be re ed to be an early adopter for SteamBox and it's most likely going to die a quick death, as I doubt Vulkan is going to be able to displace DirectX 12. I would love to not have to pay the Windows tax though, as I strongly prefer Linux to Windows for ease of use and security and wouldn't use Windows if it wasn't for the enormous advantage it has in gaming.

Thread Information