Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm even considering FIBA, since Kobe fans consider minor league International ball important.

Kobe's first Finals.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...s_IND-LAL.html

Outplayed by Reggie Miller and Jalen Rose. He was also outplayed by Austin Croshere, who wasn't his counterpart, but it's humorous nonetheless.

Second Finals appearance:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...s_PHI-LAL.html

Outplayed by Allen Iverson (who was the SG on the Sixers team. Eric Snow was the PG).

Third Finals:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...s_NJN-LAL.html

Kobe outplayed Kerry Kittles.

4th Finals:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...s_DET-LAL.html

Outplayed by Rip Hamilton and shut down by Tayshaun Prince.

5th Finals:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...s_LAL-BOS.html

Outplayed by BOTH Ray Allen and Paul Pierce.

6th Finals:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...s_ORL-LAL.html

Kobe outplayed Hedo Turkoglu and Mikael Pietrus.

7th Finals:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...s_BOS-LAL.html

Kobe outplayed Paul Pierce (but it's very close to being a wash, considering Kobe's awful efficiency).

FIBA:

Not in the Gold Meda gamel, but the semi-Final matchup against Argentina was a huge game for the "redeem team," so it essentially had Gold medal game importance and pressure:

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/08/...t_boxScor.html

Kobe was outplayed by a 6'2" shooting guard named P. Quinteros, who held Kobe to 35% shooting.

The '08 Gold Medal Game, often cited by Laker fans as an example of his "clutch."

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/08/...t_boxScor.html

Kobe had a nice scoring effort, but his "Doberman Defense" was slaughtered by Rudy Fernandez (Kobe played SF in that lineup, LBJ at PF, Wade at SG, Paul at point) who dropped 22 points in 18 minutes on Kobe's head. Unacceptable.

2012 Gold Medal Game:

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fa/gam...statistic.html

Luckily for Kobe he got to play his natural position here (Durant was moved to PF, LBJ to SF) so he didn't have to face his nemesis Rudy Fernandez. But Juan-Carlos Narvarro proved to be a difficult matchup and outscored Kobe. Navarro has always seemed to get the best of the Mamba when they've played. Here's him dropping 34 at Staples against Bryant:

So, in the ten most important games/series of Kobe's career, he's gotten outplayed in 7 of them, with the only All-Star caliber wing he outplayed being (an old) Paul Pierce in '10.

Not trying to diminish Kobe. He's still a top 20 player of all-time, but I do find it interesting that he's gotten outplayed on the biggest stages so many times.

Theories on why Kobe seems to decline in this situations?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Serious question: why do spend so much time on this Kobe ?

You actually have to expend energy and time looking this up, going to links, researching stats, and then writing all this up. We get it. You don't like Kobe. You think he's overrated. You want to on Kobe fans. Uhh, that's cool and all. But these types of threads you start for your own s and giggles, I don't get why it's worth it to you.

Seriously, why?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You actually have to expend energy and time looking this up, going to links, researching stats, and then writing all this up. We get it. You don't like Kobe. You think he's overrated. You want to on Kobe fans. Uhh, that's cool and all. But these types of threads you start for your own s and giggles, I don't get why it's worth it to you.

Seriously, why?
    Kobe4life fan, do you ask the same questions to laker fans that post the same volume of stuff about the Spurs with less things to actually back the statements up?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Seriously, why?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kobe4life fan, do you ask the same questions to laker fans that post the same volume of stuff about the Spurs with less things to actually back the statements up?
    Of course he doesn't. Jam always semen shields when Kobe threads are posted, especially if I post them.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lots of laker fans post here......since their team isn't good anymore, naturally the topics will tend to gravitate toward kobe.....

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Come on Deeps that is a bit over the top. You have expressed your concern issues with Kobe and his play etc. But you dont do it constantly anymore. But Mid and Amb, two of the better posters on here that post regular (you and Jam are still my faves even if you dont post much) and they do expend a lot of energy on a dead horse and a player who really hasnt been relevant for almost 3 years. Even Harlem has let this ship sail ... I get there is trolling going on but really... who will Amb and Mid convince here? Kobe haters are already sold so all we get is stuff like:

"truff bombs" "Mid putting in work" "Amb ethered Kool" circle jerks. No new dialogue ...and Kobe stans are to entrenched to change that and respond with tim is gay or a cuck stuff.

I'm different I have accepted the Tim over Kobe and I realize some metrics are unkind to Kobe's "legacy".

But I think for guys that can write as well as Amb and Mid that subject is a waste of time. Look at Mid's post about Lebron and MJ it really could be published on a major site. IF I were a editor I would consider it top shelf especially to some of the hacks ESPN etc. employ.

But when I see stuff like this ...it reminds me of a Bronx Tale ... the saddest thing in life is wasted talent. Mid should be above that. Not saying dont troll but going through that much work to troll something he has spoken on repeatedly is akin to filibustering ...which I abhor.

The MJ/Lebron debate will pick up steam with a Lebron le. And i look forward to the new school old school debates it will inspire here and elsewhere. Kobe is essential "dead" he wont catch MJ, duncan has passed him and Lebron is closing or has done the same. Kobe is a great player no shame if he is behind any of those guys ... we are talking about the best of the best. Still one of my al time faves despite his flaws.
    Last edited by Killakobe81; 05-29-2015 at 11:51 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyhow, let's not derail this thread with "Why is another Kobe thread being posted " and stick to basketball talk. I didn't demean Kobe in the OP in any way. I simply presented the stats unbiasedly and find it interesting that the SG of his generation gets outplayed so much by his counterpart in the Championship rounds, whether it be the NBA or FIBA.

I'm fully aware Kobe has busted Melo's ass. But other than Melo (and a young Durant in '10), Kobe seems to have trouble outplaying All Star wings.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I"m not saying what Mid does is right - I'm just saying look at the flood of bs from Laker fans on this forum and none of it is even researched. Even if it's a dead horse, at least there was some time spent on it.

Jam loves Kobe and only complains when it's Kobe related. That was my point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    mid stop trolling

amy

1st 5th

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    For me this is really not a Mid stop trolling. This is more of a mid you are better than this ... I am sincere in saying Mid could really run a fine blog and I would read his if he kept things focused on pure hoops.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Funny enough, I've only started 3 Kobe threads in the past 4 months.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I would. I usually ignore most of the Kobe fans and their threads on these boards however, as they bring nearly zero value imo. mid has shown the ability to talk basketball when he's not consumed with his Kobe obsession. I just don't get it. Kobe has been irrelevant for at the very least going on 2 years now. Yet while you can say some Kobe fans feel the need to still bring him up, there's a case to be made that there are a handful of Spurs fans that start threads about Kobe and/or talk about him as much if not more than the actual Kobe fans do. Again, I don't get it.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Funny enough, I've only started 3 Kobe threads in the past 4 months.
    But he hasnt done anything thread worthy in that time unless you count the this is my last season ...but even that was mehhh.

Kobe was done for me after the two FT's post achilles. He has what one highlight dunk (relative) and one clutch jumper (IIRC) since?

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I"m not saying what Mid does is right - I'm just saying look at the flood of bs from Laker fans on this forum and none of it is even researched. Even if it's a dead horse, at least there was some time spent on it.

Jam loves Kobe and only complains when it's Kobe related. That was my point.
    As I just posted, I rarely even open up threads started by a lot of Kobe fans on this site. I simply ignore them.

I don't understand why mid constantly brings him up when Kobe's been injured and irrelevant for 2 years. Why bring him up? From a poster who doesn't need to bring Kobe up to make decent basketball discussion.

I "complain" because I don't get it from mid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For me this is really not a Mid stop trolling. This is more of a mid you are better than this ... I am sincere in saying Mid could really run a fine blog and I would read his if he kept things focused on pure hoops.
    Why isn't this post an example of "pure hoops" discussion?

Kobe, Duncan, Lebron, and Leonard are probably my top 4 favorite players to discuss (Howard is up there, but conversation centered on him is rather boring), so of course I'm going to start "a lot" threads about them. There was no troll bait in my original post.

An example of my trolling is starting threads like my Gasol-Legacy thread, that are nonsensical and such.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The boards are flooded with Laker fan bull crap. Mid starting a few threads in response is not as big of a deal as that as everyone gets annoyed by the sheer volume/stupidity of the Kobe fan on the board with their multiple threads every day.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess the point of it is, even though we know Kobe fan on the board are dummies and spam non-stop, we can out do them because we actually know the game and by posting something like this from time to time, it at least shuts them up for a minute.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    See, this is a troll thread: http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/show...74#post8030574

I rarely make insubstantial posts like that.

I actually wanted to have a discussion about this rather odd phenomenon that seems to occur when Kobe reaches important games and series.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    After...

Clippers over Spurs
    Rockets over Clippers
    Warriors over Howard
    Lebron over Spurs East
    Lakers over odds in draft
    Etc
    Etc
    Etc

It's back to square one for Midst, Cub in the back kicking up his feet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Killakobe81 Why did you drag me into this? What did I have to do with any of this?

BTW, what mid brought up is actually insightful. I never really thought of it. All this talk about clutch play and mamba and killer instinct and all of that, none of them actually can be verified. In fact, when facts are posted, they often proved these myths to be untrue.

At the end of the day, Kobe is an all star, a superstar even, but he simply got lucky (well, you can say him forcing his way to the Lakers was calculated), and on a talent level is similar to Iverson, Carter and McGrady. Seriously, all of them being fantastic players in their own right, just no where close to how Kobe is being viewed by the general populace.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I guess the point of it is, even though we know Kobe fan on the board are dummies and spam non-stop, we can out do them because we actually know the game and by posting something like this from time to time, it at least shuts them up for a minute.
    But does it? When has one of these posts stopped Kool or Luva? And outside of Kool who is actually posting a lot of Kobe threads except his detractors? Why not engage Kool in real debate like me and Amb did for a while? I would love to see some of that in just one thread not five ...

As for MId I am not saying that you were wrong I already said that. But to go through the the research for something 90% of the board already believes what do we gain as a site or what does Mid gain? We already know he is a fine writer when locked in and has a good grasp on hoops. Why not just refute the "stans" in their own threads?

Nothing wrong with what Mid posted and he provided his links to back it up even if I find the Austin Croshere comparison silly (Yes let's compare a role player to a #2 on a le team that makes a lot of sense) and I could refute it but why? I have already established my thoughts On Kobe both good and bad.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Killakobe81 Why did you drag me into this? What did I have to do with any of this?

BTW, what mid brought up is actually insightful. I never really thought of it. All this talk about clutch play and mamba and killer instinct and all of that, none of them actually can be verified. In fact, when facts are posted, they often proved these myths to be untrue.

At the end of the day, Kobe is an all star, a superstar even, but he simply got lucky (well, you can say him forcing his way to the Lakers was calculated), and on a talent level is similar to Iverson, Carter and McGrady. Seriously, all of them being fantastic players in their own right, just no where close to how Kobe is being viewed by the general populace.
    I meant it as compliment (mentioning you) tbh. But if you missed that part and take offense I apologize. Come on Amb, Even a stats person wold have to take in to account the roles of Croshere vs. Kobe when making silly comparisons ...
    ... But I wont take the bait ...carry on.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

You clowns are nothing more than a bunch of circle jerk ing gots cheering for one....

I'm just croflmao at this notion that yall know basketball and have good basketball takes... is hilarious...keep it up...none of clowns have ever laced it up on a high school or college level...or even AAU.....I cannot take the word of you couch potato's....you guys have no atheletism no experience no training no hustle no nothing when it comes to sports....

Yall just like these fat ass media guys who've never played the game just pulling stats and have no idea what makes stats stats....Yall are a joke in my eyes and every real playa and out here...you weak sissy boys carry on

Thread Information