My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I might be involved in a project related to the PS2 soon, but I never owned one... what are the best PS2 games you remember, tbh?

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    both metal gears, easily. the gtas. shadow of the colossus. katamari was fun, nba street too. tony hawk 2 was the best of the series, can't remember if ps or ps2.

Believe.
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Soul Reaver 1 and 2 along with the last Legacy of Kain games were all pretty ing badass but very underrated as a whole.

Prince of Persia The Sands of Time was another top notch game.

Also, Ace Combat 4.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For me, going through this IGN PS2 list (and scouring the net for some more reminders) I would say:

Beyond Good and Evil
    Bully
    Burnout 2
    Fight Night 2004
    FFX
    God of War 1 & 2
    GTA Vice City (couldn't get into San Andreas but loved Vice City)
    Guitar Hero 2
    Max Payne
    NBA Street Vol 2
    Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 ( started to go south when it wanted to become Fast and Furious-esque)
    Okami
    Prince of Persia: Sands of Time (the sequels sucked imo)
    Ratchet and Clank series, pick one, doesn't matter
    Resident Evil 4
    Shadow of the Colossus (I'm sure I would had put ICO by the same people who made SotC but I've never played it for more than 10 minutes.)
    Persona 3 and 4
    Sly Cooper series
    Soul Calibur 2
    Splinter Cell
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
    Virtua Fighter 4
    Dead or Alive 2 (boob physics... great fighting game... it's a guilty pleasure for me)
    Capcom vs SNK 2
    Marvel vs Capcom 2
    Medal of Honor series
    Call of Duty series
    Midnight Club 2
    Def Jam: Fight for NY
    Last edited by NASpurs; 06-19-2015 at 01:26 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thanks guys

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Metal Gear Solid 2
    Kingdom Hearts
    GTA San Andreas

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Elnono, PS2 was my life.

The best thing about the PS2 is that it provided so many 8/10 games. I'll tell you that most Best games list is defined by popularity, because there are some games that are just significantly better than many of the popular games but won't and would never get mentioned. That said, I've played most of the popular games and all of them are at the very list a 7/10..My top 5 popular games for the PS2, in no order

GTA Vice City
    Metal Gear Solid 2
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    Resident Evil 4
    Ratchet Clank.

Some not so Popular games that had either superior Gameplay or Storytelling...

Suikoden V ( by far the best RPG Story I've every played) Games like Dragon age inquisition was influenced by this not so popular franchise. strong point, story.
    Kill Switch - most third person shooter games nowadys use certain elements from this game
    Monster Hunter - All these Dark Souls games, bloodborne etc...They all need to be paying homage to monster hunter..They copied a ton of from this game.
    Okami
    Sly

It's amazing how many of today's game or many games in general get influences from not so popular games in the past..Seems like the very popular ones or masterpieces are just hard to copy..So they just steal certain elements from these games and improve them.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Okami and Bully are pretty awesome.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thanks!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Monster Hunter - All these Dark Souls games, bloodborne etc...They all need to be paying homage to monster hunter..They copied a ton of from this game
    Not really, From Software (creator of Dark Souls and Bloodborne) has been doing these types of games since 1995 starting with a game called King's Field. A lot of those old core mechanics are still there in the new Souls/Bloodborne series. They precede Monster Hunter by ten years.

In 2008, From Software announced Demon's Souls, which was described by producer Takeshi Kajii as a "spiritual successor" to King's Field, stating "I am a fan of From Software, but naturally that also means there are parts of their games I'm not satisfied with, too [...] If this was a new King's Field game, there would be areas we wouldn't be able to touch since they're part of the series; working together like this, we can try to make something really new." [3]

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not really, From Software (creator of Dark Souls and Bloodborne) has been doing these types of games since 1995 starting with a game called King's Field. A lot of those old core mechanics are still there in the new Souls/Bloodborne series. They precede Monster Hunter by ten years.

Ah I didn't know about this..Thanks.

That said, if you've played monster hunter..it's not hard to think of it when playing bloodborne and the dark souls series..tons of similar concepts

coffee is for closers Infinite_limit's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Underrated Rockstar classic:

I still have my entire PS2 library. My brother let one of his friends borrow his PS2 slim years ago. Haven't played on that console in years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another emulator project, Elnono?

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have you tried PCSX2? You need a CPU with strong per core performance (so basically Intel), but even if it's only a dual core it still runs pretty well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FFX
    Manhunt
    Max Payne
    Devil May Cry
    God of War

my old favorites

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm under NDA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manhunt
    God of War 1 and 2
    GTA III, VC, SA
    Tenchu: Devils Wrath
    MGS: Snake Eater
    Splinter Cell Series
    Fire Pro Returns
    King of Colosseum II

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Inb4 nono is working on emulating my favourite JRPG Series of all time for the ps2...HNNNNNNG.

Believe.
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Elnono, PS2 was my life.

The best thing about the PS2 is that it provided so many 8/10 games. I'll tell you that most Best games list is defined by popularity, because there are some games that are just significantly better than many of the popular games but won't and would never get mentioned. That said, I've played most of the popular games and all of them are at the very list a 7/10..My top 5 popular games for the PS2, in no order

GTA Vice City
    Metal Gear Solid 2
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    Resident Evil 4
    Ratchet Clank.

Some not so Popular games that had either superior Gameplay or Storytelling...

Suikoden V ( by far the best RPG Story I've every played) Games like Dragon age inquisition was influenced by this not so popular franchise. strong point, story.
    Kill Switch - most third person shooter games nowadys use certain elements from this game
    Monster Hunter - All these Dark Souls games, bloodborne etc...They all need to be paying homage to monster hunter..They copied a ton of from this game.
    Okami
    Sly

It's amazing how many of today's game or many games in general get influences from not so popular games in the past..Seems like the very popular ones or masterpieces are just hard to copy..So they just steal certain elements from these games and improve them.
    So you never played any of the Legacy of Kain games? That's weak.

Those were epic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you never played any of the Legacy of Kain games? That's weak.

Those were epic.
    I remember playing it for the PS1..I was a huge JPRG fan though and I gave up on it mid game I believe..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was never hardcore about PS2 But in retrospect the Ps2 was better than I gave it credit for. Lot of great stuff mentioned already, so what I remember enjoying...

Rygar
    Resident Evil 4(I definetly prefer the cube and wii versions but this is my favorite game of the past decade, easily. Ps2 version was loaded with great extras. A must own imo)
    GTA:vice city
    Shadow of the Colossus
    metal gear solid 3:snake eater
    Metal gear solid 2 (i like this one a lot, not as much as 3, but it's a trippy mess)
    viewtiful Joe
    kill zone
    (not sure if this counts but the SNK anthologies and Capcom Collections were some of my favorite buys)
    Okami is supposed to be great, it's pathetic I still haven't opened it for the wii.

Elnono you make emulation games? If so that's badass, or you just help with copyright law? Also I'd say the games we agree the most on are the sure fire classics.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Elnono you make emulation games? If so that's badass, or you just help with copyright law? Also I'd say the games we agree the most on are the sure fire classics.
    Thanks for the list.

I've done my share of emu work through the years, both commercial and open source. MAME, MESS, UAE are some of the open source projects I've worked on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ratchet and Clank Gladiator/Deadlocked was amazing. Also enjoyed the Lego Star Wars series and The Simpsons Hit and Run.

Star Wars Battlefront, Monster Hunter, Okami, Shadow of the Colossus, Athens 2004...Damn there's quite a lot..

Thread Information