Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A special prosecutor says a criminal investigation surrounding Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton and allegations that he broke state securities laws will soon head to a grand jury.

Houston attorney Kent Schaffer said Thursday the investigation into Paxton has grown “into something larger” than the original case he received in April. Schaffer, one of two special prosecutors on the case, said a Collin County grand jury will likely begin hearing evidence in July.

Paxton was fined $1,000 last year for investment advising without registering. His spokesman, Anthony Holm, reiterated that the Texas State Securities Board passed on referring the case for prosecution and said Paxton is focused on his job.

A judge last month widened the investigation being handled by Texas Rangers. Schaffer wouldn’t elaborate about what that may include.
    http://kxan.com/2015/06/18/special-p...rs-grand-jury/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    first degree felony charges possible:

The potential criminal case against Attorney General Ken Paxton is apparently growing more serious, with the state's top lawyer hiring heavyweight legal counsel of his own as special prosecutors prepare to take felony charges before a Collin County grand jury.

Late Wednesday, special prosecutor Kent Schaffer said he and co-counsel Brian Wice plan to start presenting evidence to the grand jury in less than a month that Paxton violated the Texas Securities Act.
    "We'll be pursuing an indictment for first-degree felony securities fraud," Schaffer said, confirming a WFAA report.
    http://www.texastribune.org/2015/07/...-grow-serious/

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Going down hard. Good riddance.

2nd Verse Same as the 1st Oh, Gee!!'s Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He enforces the law; doesn't mean he follows it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He enforces the law; doesn't mean he follows it.
    Pretty much true of all "law enforcement", including lawyers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nepotism, state hiring skirted:

When seeking a job at the Texas attorney general’s office, it’s less about what is on your résumé than who you know.

In Attorney General Ken Paxton’s first weeks in office, he filled his higher ranks with at least 14 people connected to him and other prominent Republicans — quiet “appointments” that his office defends in spite of state law, which requires that jobs be advertised when they’re filled from outside the agency.

An American-Statesman review of more than 1,800 pages of personnel files reveals that hiring procedures were relaxed or altogether ignored for those who had worked for Paxton, former Gov. Rick Perry or U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz. Records show several were hired weeks before they had even applied for the jobs, if an application was completed at all.

Meanwhile, people whose résumés didn’t include political connections often faced months of red tape, interviews and vetting — just the sort of compe ion that state law envisions for coveted state jobs.
    http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news...3566327.735785

United Autodidact Society Shastafarian's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Paxton might change his stance on gay marriage once he goes to prison. Gonna need a big husband to protect him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Heard on NPR: TX Atty General doesn't need a TX lawyer's licence.

Sounds like Scott Walker allowing uneducated, non-degreed people to be school teachers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    fee sharing, possible connection to shady tech company Servergy:

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/polit...xton/30778701/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    UPDATED: Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton indicted by grand jury on fraud charges: reports

The attorney general of Texas has been indicted on securities fraud and other charges over an alleged scheme to mislead investors in a technology company, the New York Times and other media reported on Saturday.

The three-count indictment against Ken Paxton, a Republican, will be unsealed in Dallas on Monday, when the former longtime state lawmaker is expected to turn himself in to authorities, according to the Times.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/08/texas-attorney-general-ken-paxton-indicted-by-grand-jury-on-fraud-charges-reports/

TX gov and TX AG indicted!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so glad us texans elect these ing morons just because a R appears after their name and not bothering to look into who they are or what they actually stand for.

But he is a Republican so he MUST be good!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's another total, LYING demagogue asshole Texians sent to the Senate

Ted Cruz Auditions to be the Koch’s Paid on Capitol Hill

Need to be a hero, but don’t have any really scary enemies?

Invent an enemy – in this case the government – and appoint yourself the champion who rises up against the dreaded foe just in time to save the people,

all the while working for your enemy in the largest immorality tale of them all.
    That’s Ted Cruz in a nuts , with the emphasis on nut.

In fact, guess who is spending the weekend with the Kochs at their Orange County, city of Dana Point ocean-side retreat as I write?

Ted Cruz, along with former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL), and Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, who together make up the Koch Primary.

Yes, Ted Cruz is sleeping with the guys he has identified as his enemy: the guys who pay the lobbyists he says are destroying “main street.”

It’s a good racket if you can get it, as Cruz well knows.

http://www.politicususa.com/2015/08/02/ted-cruz-auditions-kochs-paid- .html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&u tm_campaign=Feed%3A+politicususa%2FfJAl+%28Politic us+USA+%29

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so glad us texans elect these ing morons just because a R appears after their name and not bothering to look into who they are or what they actually stand for.

But he is a Republican so he MUST be good!
    And you don't think Democrats think this way and exhibit exactly the same behavior.
    Marion Berry...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The charges — two counts of first-degree securities fraud and one count of third-degree failure to register — are tied to Mr. Paxton’s work soliciting clients and investors for two companies while he was a member of the Texas House of Representatives, before he was elected attorney general in November.

In the most serious charges, first-degree securities fraud, Mr. Paxton is accused of misleading investors in a technology company, Servergy Inc., which is based in McKinney, his hometown. He is accused of encouraging the investors in 2011 to put more than $600,000 into Servergy while failing to tell them he was making a commission on their investment, and misrepresenting himself as an investor in the company, said Kent A. Schaffer, one of the two special prosecutors handling the case. The group of investors were Mr. Paxton’s friends and included a colleague in the Texas House, Representative Byron Cook.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/02/us...y-charges.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Wonder how fast he will resign.

Can't see the Gov. wanting the steady "drip drip drip" of news stories about revelations a the trial tarnishing Texas' image. Esp. with Cruz running for prez.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TX AG doesn't have to resign if indicted, he doesn't even have to a lawyer

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Indicted Texas attorney general knows 'lawlessness' when he sees it and Obama's crossed the line

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton had a big day Monday, making sure the media was clear about President Obama's transgressions where immigration law is concerned. Paxton explained to the New York Times why his state was challenging Obama's immigration programs in the courts:

“Our goal really was pretty basic: defend the Cons ution and stop President Obama’s lawlessness,” he said.

Paxton may not be the best judge of executive branch power, but when it comes to abusing the law, he unquestionably has more insight than your average attorney general. That's the because the guy accusing Obama of “lawlessness” is facing both civil and criminal charges of fraud in federal and state court. Here was the Austin American-Statesman‘s assessment of Paxton's legal standing after additional charges were announced last week.

Dramatically increasing the legal jeopardy faced by Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, federal regulators on Monday accused the high-profile Republican of defrauding investors in a McKinney tech company while he was a member of the Texas House.

The accusations, contained in a federal lawsuit by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, were based on the same acts that last year led to state criminal charges against Paxton — revealing more details about the private business deals than had been previously known.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/0...28Daily+Kos%29

Texas is rotten with crooked lawyers, but has an Attorney General who isn't an attorney.

If one of the SCOTUS VRWC-thugs 4 doesn't side with the true SCOTUS judges, then it will be 4-4, and TX wins with the VRWC-garbage of the 5th Circuit (Priscilla Owen!) decision, lawless Obama loses.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Appeal refused, Paxton will go to court.
    http://www.dallasnews.com/news/polit...es-last-appeal

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Drip drip drip.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Twitter Sues Texas AG Paxton, Claiming He "Retaliated" Over Trump Ban

Twitter on Monday filed a lawsuit against Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton (R), saying that his office launched an investigation into the social media giant because it banned former President Trump from its platform. From a report:Twitter is seeking to halt an investigation launched by Paxton into moderation practices by Big Tech firms including Twitter for what he called "the seemingly coordinated de-platforming of the President," days after they banned him following the Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection. In the suit, filed in a Northern California court, Twitter said "Paxton made clear that he will use the full weight of his office, including his expansive investigatory powers, to retaliate against Twitter for having made editorial decisions with which he disagrees." Twitter said it has rights under the First Amendment "to make decisions about what content to disseminate through its platform," including "the discretion to remove or otherwise restrict access to Tweets, profiles, or other content posted to Twitter." The company added in an emailed statement that in this case, "the Texas Attorney General is misusing the powers of his office to infringe on Twitter's First Amendment rights and attempt to silence free speech."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AG Saxton exonerated in the unsigned opinion of his own office

Thread Information