Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does anyone have an extra Qur'an I can borrow?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We are in Ramadan after all...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ready for another visit; I hear the guy starting to speak out over the loudspeaker.

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We are in Ramadan after all...
    Haven't eaten all day. , my head hurts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Welp

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah, swagger disengaged tonight... hopefully he'll figure it out by Thursday...

LETS WAIT AND SEE

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is no Lalanne but Lalanne

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last game 5-8 from 3 point line... 27 points.

The guy transformed from a center to a 3-D guy.

Some highlights:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like him. Strong body, crafty around the basket and can shoot the corner 3.
    Maybe Matty Bon Bon retires and we bring him over next year?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that would be nice

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he continues to make progress this month, maybe Bonner gets waived and Lalanne takes his place.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's Lalanne scoring 21 points in the first half:

Here's the NBA pre-draft scouting report: http://www.nba.com/draft/2015/prospe...:draft:tracker

Strengths
    Length (7-5 wingspan)
    Excellent shot blocker
    Good rebounder on both ends
    Has some low-post scoring skills
    Decent footwork

Weaknesses
    Has to continue to refine face-up game
    Needs to get stronger
    Free-throw shooting has to improve
    Poor assist-to-turnover ratio

Reminds me of: Nerlens Noel

What Insiders Say
    Massachusetts coach Derek Kellogg
    "He's our senior big guy who's proven over time that he's capable of [scoring in the post]. He's got to make good decisions down there, and we've got to help him know where everybody's going to be when they're coming at him."

What Outsiders Say
    LSU coach Johnny Jones
    “He’s a serious low-block presence. At 6-10 and about 250, he’s a load inside.”

-----

Spurs got themselves a 6'9" Jimmer Fredette instead!!!
    Last edited by ceperez; 12-14-2015 at 08:26 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lalanne hasn't really shown the defense he needs to to stick in the league, even if his stroke is legit. Five to seven years ago, it might have been enough for Cady to be a guy over 6-8 who could space the floor. But you have to do at least two things at a very high level in order to make it in the NBA. If Cady can be a knock-down shooter who can rebound and score at anything above a below-average level, the offense will probably be find. But he doesn't have the quickest feet or the biggest body, so his NBA defensive position is ambiguous.

If Cady has LJC's defensive ability, we're talking about an awesome, awesome prospect. As it is, it would be a miracle if he even has a NBA career resembling that of Malcolm Thomas.

Shhhh... I'll be gentle. TheDoctor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lalannetula tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lalanne hasn't really shown the defense he needs to to stick in the league, even if his stroke is legit. Five to seven years ago, it might have been enough for Cady to be a guy over 6-8 who could space the floor. But you have to do at least two things at a very high level in order to make it in the NBA. If Cady can be a knock-down shooter who can rebound and score at anything above a below-average level, the offense will probably be find. But he doesn't have the quickest feet or the biggest body, so his NBA defensive position is ambiguous.

If Cady has LJC's defensive ability, we're talking about an awesome, awesome prospect. As it is, it would be a miracle if he even has a NBA career resembling that of Malcolm Thomas.
    If Cady can learn to shoot in Austin, then I guess LJC can learn to shoot if he decides to come over. Looks like he's wasting away in France. (Alternatively, Spurs have realized that he's made of glass)

Well good comparison with Malcom Thomas as a baseline to see what he needs to do to get in the NBA. He's not as athletic as Thomas but he's got a 5" wingspan advantage and an inch taller.

Cady may just make it in league as a James Jones like player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Already better than Jimmer, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If he can become an Anthony Tolliver type he'd have done well for himself. There's certainly a niche for shooting bigs, his stroke looks really good.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he can become an Anthony Tolliver type he'd have done well for himself. There's certainly a niche for shooting bigs, his stroke looks really good.
    Good comparison. Tolliver is one of those bigs that learned how to shoot while playing in Germany. He's making a decent living in the NBA after the Spurs discovered him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Cady can learn to shoot in Austin, then I guess LJC can learn to shoot if he decides to come over. Looks like he's wasting away in France. (Alternatively, Spurs have realized that he's made of glass)

Well good comparison with Malcom Thomas as a baseline to see what he needs to do to get in the NBA. He's not as athletic as Thomas but he's got a 5" wingspan advantage and an inch taller.

Cady may just make it in league as a James Jones like player.
    Cady is a 4/5. That's completely different from Jones (2/3) or even Thomas (3/4). Lalanne might have the size of a tall wing, but he's a big, plain an simple. And his NBA future relies on him being able to do what he's currently doing offensively while being able to guard NBA bigs and in general play above-average defense. Looking just at his stats, his defense is good enough for the d-league, but he needs to dominate at that level to look like a real NBA prospect -- as well as showing that he can sustain his shooting percentage all season. The best thing about his situation for the Spurs is that the team doesn't have to worry about another team snapping him up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good comparison. Tolliver is one of those bigs that learned how to shoot while playing in Germany. He's making a decent living in the NBA after the Spurs discovered him.
    I liked Tolliver during his SL and pre-season stint with the Spurs. I always thought that we would have kept him and developed him if Bonner hadn't been around. But that was when Bonner was pretty deadly from 3 (but that's another story). So I expect Cady will get some serious attention next summer from the coaching staff.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cady is a 4/5. That's completely different from Jones (2/3) or even Thomas (3/4). Lalanne might have the size of a tall wing, but he's a big, plain an simple. And his NBA future relies on him being able to do what he's currently doing offensively while being able to guard NBA bigs and in general play above-average defense. Looking just at his stats, his defense is good enough for the d-league, but he needs to dominate at that level to look like a real NBA prospect -- as well as showing that he can sustain his shooting percentage all season. The best thing about his situation for the Spurs is that the team doesn't have to worry about another team snapping him up.
    What a minute here, Matt Bonner has made an entire career at the same position as Cady Lalanne. Lalanne has a lot longer arms than Bonner and definitely has a better post game than Bonner. I don't recall Bonner to have above-average defense. I doubt Bonner will dominate defensively in the D-league. Ayres in the D-league and I don't see him dominating.

There is obviously a spot open for a player like Lalanne with the Spurs (when Bonner retires). This of course will hang on how Lalanne develops that 3 point shooting. Just looking at the film, his form is much better than Bonner's.

Check this out:

Last edited by ceperez; 12-14-2015 at 10:16 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tolliver is still in the league because he can also fill the "vet" role. I think with small-ball and the new emphasis on spacing, it's not very hard at all to find bigs that can shoot. If Lalanne can play the five full time, that certainly helps his usefulness. But just being able to shoot is hardly a niche. I think most teams have at least two bigs or combo-forwards who can shoot from outside nowadays.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This of course will hang on how Lalanne develops that 3 point shooting. Just looking at the film, his form is much better than Bonner's.
    Matt Bonner is in the top 15 in NBA history in 3PT shooting percentage (in the regular season). You can condition the statistic however you'd like, but there simply aren't many people on the planet who can shoot that shot more efficiently than he has. Add to that the fact that Bonner's NBA position has never really been ambiguous -- he's a stretch 4 because he can knock out 3's and space the floor while having the bulk and length to defend on the block without being routinely exposed.

There've always been a lot of things about Matt Bonner that are legitimately frustrating, but he's kept his job in the NBA for this long because (aside from being apparently very well-liked and considered a great teammate) he's got an NBA skill that is historically great.

It seems like a reach to me to expect even Bonner's production -- as maligned as it has been -- to be outdone by a kid who was a late second round pick and who comes with significant doubts about what position he could play in the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not even close to the same thing. For one, Matt is/was one of the best shooting bigs every in the regular season. Lalanne is carry a, what, 40-percent rate in the d-league? That'd probably drop to the low 30s in the NBA. He'll need to get more consistent to even get the le stretch-big. He'll almost certainly never get to Bonner's level.

Morever, Bonner came into the league back when being a stretch-big was a huge novelty. Because of him and guys like him, the entire NBA started to change toward spacing fours and fives. But now it some common to have stretch-bigs that players have to offer more than Matt has. Cady being somewhat decent at other parts of his offense (in the d-league) isn't going to cut it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get the interest in being the one who spotted a talent and stuck with supporting that guy until he made it big, but over the course of time, the SpursTalk "next big thing to come out of nowhere" hobby horse has become pretty worn out.

Thread Information