Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Matt Bonner is in the top 15 in NBA history in 3PT shooting percentage (in the regular season). You can condition the statistic however you'd like, but there simply aren't many people on the planet who can shoot that shot more efficiently than he has. Add to that the fact that Bonner's NBA position has never really been ambiguous -- he's a stretch 4 because he can knock out 3's and space the floor while having the bulk and length to defend on the block without being routinely exposed.

There've always been a lot of things about Matt Bonner that are legitimately frustrating, but he's kept his job in the NBA for this long because (aside from being apparently very well-liked and considered a great teammate) he's got an NBA skill that is historically great.

It seems like a reach to me to expect even Bonner's production -- as maligned as it has been -- to be outdone by a kid who was a late second round pick and who comes with significant doubts about what position he could play in the NBA.
    I stand with my assessment that Lalanne's form is much better than Bonner's.

Still too early to tell if Lalanne can get better shooting the 3, but so far 40% is a decent clip for someone who *never* took these kind of shots in college. In college he was relied upon to play center and possibly never had the opportunity to develop the stretch 4 game. I'm saying that he's making good progress and could possibly replace bonner on that stretch 4 position.

Bonner may have been great, but he's near retirement. Spurs just being loyal in signing him for yet another minimum.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lalanne is carry a, what, 40-percent rate in the d-league?
    Now he's up to 38%, but before last night's explosion, he was shooting 30.7% from 3. Comparing him to Bonner is ridiculous. I'd be hesitant to even predict he could shoot 35% from deep at the NBA level.

Also, he had a sub-15 PER before last night's game. So below average production in the D-League doesn't exactly scream "legitimate NBA prospect" to me. Granted it's early and he could still improve, but yeah...people should probably slow down on the "he's the guy who can replace Bonner!" rhetoric.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    He looks much better than he did in SL. More comfortable all around. That shooting touch sure looks smoother.

Will that get him a spot on the Spurs next year? Who knows. I agree with Chinook that his defense could use some tuning. But maybe the Spurs are having him focus on the offensive side of things at this time??

For now, it's nice to see some progress.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now he's up to 38%, but before last night's explosion, he was shooting 30.7% from 3. Comparing him to Bonner is ridiculous. I'd be hesitant to even predict he could shoot 35% from deep at the NBA level.

Also, he had a sub-15 PER before last night's game. So below average production in the D-League doesn't exactly scream "legitimate NBA prospect" to me. Granted it's early and he could still improve, but yeah...people should probably slow down on the "he's the guy who can replace Bonner!" rhetoric.
    Are you telling me that Bonner still has gas in his tank? Whoever is replacing Bonner is not doing so at the peak of Bonner's prowess. Heck, Spurs are likely willing to let him go without even a replacement.

I'm not saying that Bonner was terrible, he did have a role to play and won us several playoff games by just being on the court. What I am saying in that there is an opening for a stretch 4 player like Lalanne if he continues to improve his shot. Folks are dismissing him because of his lack of athleticism (same way they dismiss Anderson). I am saying that his athleticism isn't elite but is good enough to be a decent role player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you telling me that Bonner still has gas in his tank? Whoever is replacing Bonner is not doing so at the peak of Bonner's prowess. Heck, Spurs are likely willing to let him go without even a replacement.

I'm not saying that Bonner was terrible, he did have a role to play and won us several playoff games by just being on the court. What I am saying in that there is an opening for a stretch 4 player like Lalanne if he continues to improve his shot. Folks are dismissing him because of his lack of athleticism (same way they dismiss Anderson). I am saying that his athleticism isn't elite but is good enough to be a decent role player.
    Well, what you actually said was:

If he continues to make progress this month, maybe Bonner gets waived and Lalanne takes his place.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm saying there's basically a 0% chance that Lalanne takes Bonner's spot this year, something you said could maybe happen if Lalanne continues to do well. I also think the chances of Lalanne ever being a rotation player in the NBA are fairly slim, though I haven't watched him play much so I won't outright say it can't happen. Just think that as of right now based on what he's doing in the D-League, he seems far from being an NBA-caliber player.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, what you actually said was:
    yup *if* he makes progress.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm saying there's basically a 0% chance that Lalanne takes Bonner's spot this year, something you said could maybe happen if Lalanne continues to do well. I also think the chances of Lalanne ever being a rotation player in the NBA are fairly slim, though I haven't watched him play much so I won't outright say it can't happen. Just think that as of right now based on what he's doing in the D-League, he seems far from being an NBA-caliber player.
    well I don't know if Bonner can make is past January when his contract expires.

I do hope that Lalanne improves enough to take his place. I can't say he can actually do it, but the opportunity is there. Lalanne would take a rookie scale contract so the cost won't be too much.

Of course all of this depends on whether Lalanne can do well enough in a month's time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yup *if* he makes progress.
    There's no chance he makes enough progress for the Spurs to sign him to an NBA contract this season, let alone this month. People are politely trying to tell you this. You should listen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well I don't know if Bonner can make is past January when his contract expires.

I do hope that Lalanne improves enough to take his place. I can't say he can actually do it, but the opportunity is there. Lalanne would take a rookie scale contract so the cost won't be too much.

Of course all of this depends on whether Lalanne can do well enough in a month's time.
    He's a second round draft pick. Rookie scale is for first round picks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's no chance he makes enough progress for the Spurs to sign him to an NBA contract this season, let alone this month. People are politely trying to tell you this. You should listen.
    The way I'm reading it, the Spurs will likely have 15 positions filled up come playoff time.

One spot is currently empty.
    Bonner's contract ends January. I would like to see a replacement stretch-4.
    I would like to see McCallum waived if he doesn't improve. I would like to see an athletic 6'5" or taller guard fill that up from the D-league or elsewhere.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's a second round draft pick. Rookie scale is for first round picks.
    Lalanne can be signed for the minimum salary is $525,093. You can't do that with a veteran like Bonner.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The way I'm reading it, the Spurs will likely have 15 positions filled up come playoff time.

I would like to see McCallum waived if he doesn't improve. I would like to see an athletic 6'5" or taller guard fill that up from the D-league or elsewhere.
    No doubt Mel will beat me to say this, but Bonner doesn't expire in January. His contract keeps going for the whole year. His guarantee date is 1/10, just like everyone else. But money is not tied to a date.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You really don't understand how these things work.

First of all, Bonner's contract doesn't end in January. It's not currently guaranteed past January, but if he's not waived by January 7th, it will become guaranteed for the remainder of the season.

So, the Spurs set up Bonner's contract in such a way that it can be used as part of a trade package or so that he can be waived to create a roster spot. All of which has nothing to do with Cady.

While there is a less than remote possibility that Bonner is waived to create a roster spot, there is almost zero chance that he's waived to make room for Lalanne.

Here's why:

1. Lalanne is a second round pick.

2. The Spurs are over the cap.

3. The only exception the Spurs can use to sign Lalanne this season is the minimum salary exception.

4. The maximum length of a minimum contract is two years. Signing him this year would make him a free agent at the end of the 2016-17 season.

5. If they wait until the summer to sign him, they can use a small chunk of cap space or the MLE, depending on their cap situation, to sign him for a contract of up to 4 years.

6. The only scenario that has the Spurs signing Lalanne this season is one in which they're convinced that he can replace Diaw or West in the rotation. That's possible is the same sort of way that discovering bigfoot is possible.

7. So forget about Lalanne on the Spurs this season.

8. Good luck with your wish to see Ray waived. That's extremely unlikely as well.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No doubt Mel will beat me to say this, but Bonner doesn't expire in January. His contract keeps going for the whole year. His guarantee date is 1/10, just like everyone else. But money is not tied to a date.
    Splitting hair here. Bonner can be let go come January without financial obligation from the Spurs. Don't make a big deal about how the 'expiration' actually is executed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lalanne can be signed for the minimum salary is $525,093. You can't do that with a veteran like Bonner.
    Like I said, you really don't understand how these things work. You really should take the time to study this:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You really don't understand how these things work.

First of all, Bonner's contract doesn't end in January. It's not currently guaranteed past January, but if he's not waived by January 7th, it will become guaranteed for the remainder of the season.

So, the Spurs set up Bonner's contract in such a way that it can be used as part of a trade package or so that he can be waived to create a roster spot. All of which has nothing to do with Cady.

While there is a less than remote possibility that Bonner is waived to create a roster spot, there is almost zero chance that he's waived to make room for Lalanne.

Here's why:

1. Lalanne is a second round pick.

2. The Spurs are over the cap.

3. The only exception the Spurs can use to sign Lalanne this season is the minimum salary exception.

4. The maximum length of a minimum contract is two years. Signing him this year would make him a free agent at the end of the 2016-17 season.

5. If they wait until the summer to sign him, they can use a small chuck of cap space or the MLE, depending on their cap situation, to sign him for a contract of up to 4 years.

6. The only scenario that has the Spurs signing Lalanne this season is one in which they're convinced that he can replace Diaw or West in the rotation. That's possible is the same sort of way that discovering bigfoot is possible.

7. So forget about Lalanne on the Spurs this season.

8. Good luck with your wish to see Ray waived. That's extremely unlikely as well.
    So if Spurs are over the cap and they keep Bonner after January, do they pay luxury taxes on Bonner?

Lalanne if signed is a rookie, does he count towards the cap? Are we talking here about a $500,000 difference between Bonner and Lalanne?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So if Spurs are over the cap and they keep Bonner after January, do they pay luxury taxes on Bonner?

Lalanne if signed is a rookie, does he count towards the cap? Are we talking here about a $500,000 difference between Bonner and Lalanne?
    Did you read what I posted?

The tax consequences are irrelevant to whether or not the Spurs sign Lalanne.

(for the record, waiving Bonner and signing Lalanne would reduce overall salary plus taxes by a small amount. You really should take the time to read the site I linked above)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you read what I posted?

The tax consequences are irrelevant to whether or not the Spurs sign Lalanne.

(for the record, waiving Bonner and signing Lalanne would reduce overall salary plus taxes by a small amount. You really should take the time to read the site I linked above)
    So are the Spurs going into the playoffs with just 13 players to avoid taxes?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    smh

You really don't understand any of this.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Splitting hair here. Bonner can be let go come January without financial obligation from the Spurs. Don't make a big deal about how the 'expiration' actually is executed.
    It doesn't expire in January any more than Simmons is on a one-year deal. Anyway who told you anything about the Spurs being done with his guaranteed money in January? They guaranteed more than 80 percent of the money they're supposed to pay him ($794k/$947k). That takes him way past the guarantee deadline.

It's tax-neutral, since both would count as second-year vets. The Spurs would pay like $100k less in salary, though.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They'll likely go in with the 15 they have now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It doesn't expire in January any more than Simmons is on a one-year deal. Anyway who told you anything about the Spurs being done with his guaranteed money in January? They guaranteed more than 80 percent of the money they're supposed to pay him ($794k/$947k). That takes him way past the guarantee deadline.

It's tax-neutral, since both would count as second-year vets. The Spurs would pay like $100k less in salary, though.

The Bonner situation, if he gets waived before the Jan deadline. Do the Spurs have to pay taxes on a full year veteran minimum salary?
    Last edited by ceperez; 12-14-2015 at 12:48 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They'll likely go in with the 15 they have now.
    No, because Bonner expires in January, and Butler's expired the moment he signed the contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, because Bonner expires in January, and Butler's expired the moment he signed the contract.

Thread Information