Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    as i said above, not sure a guy who scores exclusively via two handed dunks will have the same success in the NBA, but he cant be worse than joff
    I've been thinking about the two-handed dunks part and re-watching clips, it is nearly exclusive. I can only think of 1 dunk all year that was 1 handed, and 2 more from over 2 years ago. That's after seeing what must be 100 dunks.

It's strange. I've seen pictures of him palming the ball, his hands can't be that small. Moreover, when watching closely ... I don't think he ever jumps off one leg. Or rather, it's as rare as his one handed dunks. Small hands wouldn't explain the lack of jumping off one leg.

Trying to think of a comparison in the NBA, I couldn't really find one. I watched videos that had every dunk that Gortat, Blake, and Embiid had last season. Only Embiid dunked with two hands more than 50% of the time.

FWIW ....

I also went through Milutinov's shot chart for every game in Euroleague this season because there's no good advanced stat sites for euroleague that had what I wanted.

Milutinov in Euroleague is 62-69 in the restricted area in my rough charting, shooting 89.9%. Technically I guess this doesn't translate exactly to the NBA stats on basketball reference because the restricted zone is 4 feet and NBA shooting charts are 0-3 feet. The 0-3 feet numbers for Milutinov might be higher if I my understanding of the restricted area and such is correct, which it might not be.

For contextless comparison, no NBA rotation big shoots more the 79% from 0-3 feet. Some of the players you might expect to have high rates are in the 70s like Gobert and Favors, Towns, Powell, Embiid, etc etc.

Obviously the game is different, but if two-handing is getting his restricted zone shooting so high, then that's a good thing if he can get it done here.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To me he is a physical pick and roll center who can contribute to our team next season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've been thinking about the two-handed dunks part and re-watching clips, it is nearly exclusive. I can only think of 1 dunk all year that was 1 handed, and 2 more from over 2 years ago. That's after seeing what must be 100 dunks.

It's strange. I've seen pictures of him palming the ball, his hands can't be that small. Moreover, when watching closely ... I don't think he ever jumps off one leg. Or rather, it's as rare as his one handed dunks. Small hands wouldn't explain the lack of jumping off one leg.

Trying to think of a comparison in the NBA, I couldn't really find one. I watched videos that had every dunk that Gortat, Blake, and Embiid had last season. Only Embiid dunked with two hands more than 50% of the time.

FWIW ....

I also went through Milutinov's shot chart for every game in Euroleague this season because there's no good advanced stat sites for euroleague that had what I wanted.

Milutinov in Euroleague is 62-69 in the restricted area in my rough charting, shooting 89.9%. Technically I guess this doesn't translate exactly to the NBA stats on basketball reference because the restricted zone is 4 feet and NBA shooting charts are 0-3 feet. The 0-3 feet numbers for Milutinov might be higher if I my understanding of the restricted area and such is correct, which it might not be.

For contextless comparison, no NBA rotation big shoots more the 79% from 0-3 feet. Some of the players you might expect to have high rates are in the 70s like Gobert and Favors, Towns, Powell, Embiid, etc etc.

Obviously the game is different, but if two-handing is getting his restricted zone shooting so high, then that's a good thing if he can get it done here.
    i dont doubt that 2 handed dunks are high percentage. hard to screw them up.

i dont think he's going to be able to pull that off in the nba. we haven't really seen somebody do that since shaq or prime dwight... constantly just 2 handed gorilla dunk dunk dunk with virtually no other offensive game to speak of (milutinov. shaq had plenty of game)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is either going to get dunk or get fouled either one is good. The one thing I really like is he plays tough and sets good picks. He also probably has the best hands of any big we have drafted in a long time he catches everything low high bounce pass and is a good passer and smart player.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s having some good games lately :

10 pts 4/7 shooting 4/4 ft with 12 rebounds 1 block against malaga last week.

15 pts 9 rebounds 2 blocks 4/6 shopping 7/9 ft tonight against kaunas.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is either going to get dunk or get fouled either one is good. The one thing I really like is he plays tough and sets good picks. He also probably has the best hands of any big we have drafted in a long time he catches everything low high bounce pass and is a good passer and smart player.
    again, i'm just skeptical that you can just will yourself to endless two handed dunks in the nba ... i'm saying he's not going to have as many opportunities to go up like that, and i'm worried that he doesn't seem to have much of an alternate plan of attack

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    as Spur Raider has said, it is pretty concerning that he doesn't seem to really have any game outside of 5 feet.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you guys just want to worry about something. Nikola had very good touch on his shot. You can see it with his free throws. But you saw it more earlier in the season too. He was hitting 15-18 foot jumpers.

https://youtu.be/kQcE5NpKCN0

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Small sample, but his jumpers from free throw line and beyond were 5-10 by my quick charting. Free throws is at 76.6% with 5.2 attempts per 40.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is not a three point playing outside center. He is physical inside Center who can get you rebounds set good picks and hit the mid range shot I also like the fact the dude can dunk he has good hands. His style of play will fit in very easy with the Spurs players.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have all of his Euroleague games now, at least the ones he scored in anyway.

60 dunks in 588 minutes. That dunk per minute rate would only be surpassed in the NBA by Javale and Capela. Obviously not a 1-to-1 translation, but better than Gobert, Davis, DeAndre, Harrell, Richaun Holmes and Jarrett Allen.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His Euroleague playoffs start Wednesday.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    as i said above, not sure a guy who scores exclusively via two handed dunks will have the same success in the NBA, but he cant be worse than joff
    DeAndre Jordan tbh?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DeAndre Jordan tbh?
    works for him because he's an elite athlete

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    works for him because he's an elite athlete
    Is this euroscrub not athletic? Or is it because he’s white tbh? I don’t know.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Milutinov's % of 2 handed dunks of all dunks is much higher than Jordan.

A lot of Milutinov's dunks are through contact. Sometimes incidental brushing right through a guy, sometimes through fouls. The 2 hands makes the difference.

For all we know going up with two hands was drilled into him in his youth by a maniacal youth coach who would slap Milutinov across the back with a chunk of tank tread as they practiced on a war torn court. Maybe he'll adjust in the NBA

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can’t believe Spurs fans are ing about Him Dunking the ball. We been dreaming of players who are athletic enough to dunk and not lay soft that gets ejected ie Gaysoft.

The kid is better then Gasol and would kill Joffrey the Spurs ed up by not bringing him in this year. But he has used this year wisely and is getting better we have our starting Center next year. And no even if we draft a center they are all 18 year old and are going to take two or three years to develope

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And another knee injury: http://www.euroleaguebasketball.net/...-knee-injuries

Olympiacos Piraeus will play Game 2 of its Turkish Airlines EuroLeague Playoffs series against Zalgiris Kaunas without center Nikola Milutinov and Georgios Bogris. Milutinov was injured during Game 1 on Wednesday, but managed to return to action. However, one of his knees swelled up after the game and he has been ruled out for Game 2 and is expected to be sidelined for 10 days. Bogris also has knee problems; an MRI confirmed a meniscus tear that will likely keep him out of action for one month. Milutinov has averaged 9.2 points on 65.7% two-point shooting and 5.9 rebounds in 27 EuroLeague games this season. Bogris has averaged 0.9 points in 15 games in a reserve role.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can’t believe Spurs fans are ing about Him Dunking the ball. We been dreaming of players who are athletic enough to dunk and not lay soft that gets ejected ie Gaysoft.

The kid is better then Gasol and would kill Joffrey the Spurs ed up by not bringing him in this year. But he has used this year wisely and is getting better we have our starting Center next year. And no even if we draft a center they are all 18 year old and are going to take two or three years to develope
    i dont mind the dunking ability

but watching all his game highlights from this season, it appears to be all he can do. that's the concern.

palangi did most a highlight mix which shows an array of moves, but the game highlights dont show he can do any of that on a consistent basis. i'd love him over joff, obviously ... but his upside is limited if he doesn't diversify his game

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn I just realized you can apply that to most of our current roster. Lol

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    saw reports that mentioned it happened in the 2nd quarter. I watched his 2nd quarter play and I didn't notice anything obvious. There was one sequence where he was rooting a guy out of the way by really getting his legs under the guy, foul called on the other guy, and Milutinov made a grimace, but nothing that screamed knee injury.

In the third there was a play where he jumped and his foot slid down the back of another players leg on the way down causing him to fall and there was some inward bend of his legs, maybe something like an mcl sprain?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    saw reports that mentioned it happened in the 2nd quarter. I watched his 2nd quarter play and I didn't notice anything obvious. There was one sequence where he was rooting a guy out of the way by really getting his legs under the guy, foul called on the other guy, and Milutinov made a grimace, but nothing that screamed knee injury.

In the third there was a play where he jumped and his foot slid down the back of another players leg on the way down causing him to fall and there was some inward bend of his legs, maybe something like an mcl sprain?
    Unless they are lying, it's 10 days and he doesn't need surgery, so who cares...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Earlier back than expected:

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the update Jra - could you give your opinion of his play if possible? Thanks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Earlier back than expected:

What does that mean? Like has he committed to not coming over again?

Thread Information