Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    " Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton*issued a statement Sunday saying state workers can refuse to issue same-sex marriage licenses if doing so is contrary to his or her religious beliefs."(Judges and other state workers) may claim that the government cannot force them to conduct same-sex wedding ceremonies over their religious objections,"*Paxton said in the statement.

Workers who choose to deny licenses to same-sex couples may face litigation and fines, but there are lawyers willing to defend them, according to Paxton.

"Numerous lawyers stand ready to assist clerks defending their religious beliefs, in many cases on a pro-bono basis, and I will do everything I can from this office to be a public voice for those standing in defense of their rights," Paxton said......

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...ples/29456745/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    muh religious rights

can't wait to see the first county clerk to stand ground

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah. We don't have to marry those s if we don't want to.

Yes. I sign my name. Slutter McGee's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While liberals are on the correct side of this issue, the perverse glee they take in forcing religious people to violate their beliefs is quite hypocritical. Talking to you Blake.

ter McGee

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not like they're forcing the state works to get gay married. It's there job to do this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I want to be paid for a job which I don't want to perform because it is contrary to my religion. Why, for example, would Seventh Day Adventists want to marry Mormons, Jews, Buddhists, Muslims, or Catholics? They all cons ute offenses against their faith, right? Is the TX legislature just hoping they have a majority of Lutheran, Catholic and Baptist employees that agree with them? How far is TX willing to go with this before they realize the corner they're painting themselves into? SMH is right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While liberals are on the correct side of this issue, the perverse glee they take in forcing religious people to violate their beliefs is quite hypocritical. Talking to you Blake.

ter McGee
    Bull .

Fundamental rights trump silly religious beliefs every time.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

ter McGee
    Govt employees in a position to hand out marriage licenses took an oath to uphold the Cons ution of the USA. If they refuse, aka break their oath of office (for the bull of God-Told-Me-To-Hate-LGBT), then they should be fined, fired, etc.

No "glee" involved, just "law enforcement" that you -for-brains rightwingnuts insist upon so vehemently when applied to blacks and browns.

Yes. I sign my name. Slutter McGee's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Govt employees in a position to hand out marriage licenses took an oath to uphold the Cons ution of the USA. If they refuse, aka break their oath of office (for the bull of God-Told-Me-To-Hate-LGBT), then they should be fined, fired, etc.

No "glee" involved, just "law enforcement" that you -for-brains rightwingnuts insist upon so vehemently when applied to blacks and browns.
    Ohh, bull , nothing makes you liberals more happy than forcing a religious person to bake a gay wedding cake or better yet, not baking it so you can sue them. Its really pretty pathetic. I'm not talking about the legalities one way or another. Just the irony of how progressives get off on destroying the lives of people who disagree with them. Tolerance my ass.

ter McGee

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ohh, bull , nothing makes you liberals more happy than forcing a religious person to bake a gay wedding cake or better yet, not baking it so you can sue them. Its really pretty pathetic.
    That must be why there are SOOO many examples of this happening.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ohh, bull , nothing makes you liberals more happy than forcing a religious person to bake a gay wedding cake or better yet, not baking it so you can sue them. Its really pretty pathetic. I'm not talking about the legalities one way or another. Just the irony of how progressives get off on destroying the lives of people who disagree with them. Tolerance my ass.

ter McGee
    , the law is the law, an oath is an oath, even for the God-Told-Me-To-Hate-LGBT Bible humpers, Christian Taliban supremacists. They started this hate-filled fight, and they ING LOST IT.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Government employees have an obligation to do their job. If their job entails filling out marriage licenses and SCOTUS says gays can marry then they need to do their job and fill out the license or quit.

Private citizens on the other hand should have every right to tell them to off, whether it's baking the wedding cake, renting out the facility, or performing the ceremony.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

ter McGee
    Lol explain how a bigoted clerk's life is destroyed by handing out a marriage license to a gay couple.

I admit I e-get off on seeing bigots cry about not being able to enact their bigotry any more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That must be why there are SOOO many examples of this happening.

Lol explain how a bigoted clerk's life is destroyed by handing out a marriage license to a gay couple.

I admit I e-get off on seeing bigots cry about not being able to enact their bigotry any more.
    Crofl. gots melting down in every thread.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Crofl. gots melting down in every thread.
    croflmao at you not knowing what a meltdown is

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

ter McGee
    the state doesnt endorse any one religion. if you are a state employee, then you are part of that en y. your religion is what you do on your own time, not while you're punched in and collecting a paycheck from the state

clerk could go to a church after work and confess his sin granting gays a marriage

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    County clerks and their employees retain religious freedoms
    that may provide accommodation of their religious objections to
    issuing same-sex marriage licenses. Justices of the peace and judges
    also may claim that the government forcing them to conduct same sex
    wedding ceremonies over their religious objections, particularly
    when other authorized individuals have no objection to conducting
    such ceremonies, is not the least restrictive means of furthering any
    compelling governmental interest in ensuring that such ceremonies
    occur. Importantly, the strength of any particular religious accommodation
    claim depends on the particular facts of each case.

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov...015/kp0025.pdf

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why not just have a deputy clerk do it? Or another JP?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    croflmao at you not knowing what a meltdown is
    Sure I do. Member when you posted that your wife cucked you in the club?

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Obama must have missed this memo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That's all fine and good except for the part in which it violates the Cons ution (and the now recognized cons utional right of same sex couples to marry). This nonsense about being able to use religious preferences in deciding whether to perform ministerial, governmental duties is pretty well divorced from any Cons utional basis.

A governmental clerk can no more justifiably deny a marriage license to a same-sex couple than he can deny a marriage license to an interracial couple. Each couple now has precisely the same right to marry, and the religious beliefs of the clerk have nothing to do with their exercise of that right through acquiring a necessary license.

If a governmental employee doesn't like carrying out parts of his or her job that are cons utionally required but personally offensive, perhaps that person should find other employment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's all fine and good except for the part in which it violates the Cons ution (and the now recognized cons utional right of same sex couples to marry). This nonsense about being able to use religious preferences in deciding whether to perform ministerial, governmental duties is pretty well divorced from any Cons utional basis.

A governmental clerk can no more justifiably deny a marriage license to a same-sex couple than he can deny a marriage license to an interracial couple. Each couple now has precisely the same right to marry, and the religious beliefs of the clerk have nothing to do with their exercise of that right through acquiring a necessary license.

If a governmental employee doesn't like carrying out parts of his or her job that are cons utionally required but personally offensive, perhaps that person should find other employment.
    I don't think that's a correct reading. I just give the opinion a quick glance, but I think the AG's point is that an individual can pass off on performing his ministerial duty to another clerk if he has an objection. That's why it speaks in terms of accommodation, the presence of another JP, and "the facts and cir stances of each case." I don't think it suggests outright denial is proper.

County clerks and their employees retain religious freedoms that may allow
    accommodation of their religious objections to issuing same-sex marriage
    licenses. The strength of any such claim depends on the particular facts of
    each case.

Justices of the peace and judges similarly retain religious freedoms, and
    may claim that the government cannot force them to conduct same-sex
    wedding ceremonies over their religious objections, when other authorized
    individuals have no objection,
    because it is not the least restrictive means
    of the government ensuring the ceremonies occur. The strength of any such

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure I do. Member when you posted that your wife cucked you in the club?
    Yes, that was a meltdown. This isn't.

If you want to see some meltdowns on this issue, I'll start a new thread and show you some genuine ones. Most are ing hilarious.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That's the AG's personal opinion on the matter.

He further made it very clear that if a clerk denies a license based on religious grounds that he/she is gonna probably need a personal defense lawyer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ Thanks buddy. Coulda swore that was an Attorney General Opinion.

Thread Information