Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ist/32211597/?

LAS VEGAS – Should the San Antonio Spurs return to the NBA’s mountaintop this season, maximizing the talents of new big man LaMarcus Aldridge and perhaps winning a sixth le since 1999, they may need to come up with an in-house award to honor the man who made it all possible.

It’s not Gregg Popovich, or Tim Duncan, or any of the usual suspects from their storied group. It’s Ime Udoka, a 38-year-old Spurs assistant and former Spurs player who was the unsung hero in their pursuit of the former Portland Trail Blazers big man.

On the surface, this was the case of a four-time All-Star who has never been past the second round of the playoffs making the wise decision to join the organization that has a habit of hogging the Larry O’Brien trophy. But in those crucial early July days that led up to his decision, when his list of five teams had been whittled down to two and questions lingered in his mind about how he would fit in San Antonio, no voice mattered more than that of Udoka’s.

There was mutual respect, their relationship having began as teammates in 2006 when Aldridge was a rookie in Portland and Udoka was the wise, older veteran. They had kept in touch long after Udoka was gone, too, through his time in San Antonio, Sacramento, and Spain and later when he left his playing days behind in order to join Popovich’s staff in the summer of 2012. The trust that would prove pivotal to Aldridge’s decision was built over time.

When Aldridge’s free agency meetings in Los Angeles had all ended and the time had arrived to clear his head on a flight back to his hometown of Dallas, Udoka – who was part of the Spurs’ Popovich-led contingent on the Hollywood scene played the part of closer and made a final pitch at 30,000 feet. To hear Aldridge tell the story, he may be in Phoenix right about now if not for Udoka’s ability to paint a promising picture about life with the Spurs. Udoka, who was weighing offers to play for Murcia, Gran Canariaand two other European teams during that lockout summer when Popovich gave him the coaching invite he couldn’t refuse, knew what it meant to be a part of their special group.

Last month at Team USA minicamp in Las Vegas, Aldridge's partnership with Udoka continued to prove effective. With Udoka leading the way and Spurs small forward/fellow Team USA participant also on hand, Aldridge – both after Team USA practices and before their exhibition game – took part in three Spurs-only sessions intended to help him learn the very San Antonio system that he wasn’t sure was for him. Udoka, true to the Spurs’ selfless form, declined a request to discuss his part in landing Aldridge.

USA TODAY Sports' Sam Amick caught up with Aldridge recently about how Udoka helped him decide to sign with the Spurs.

Q: So I’ve heard that Ime was big in the free agency process for you, but was looking forward to asking you about it. That the case?

A: “He was huge. As you said, I played with him, and when he played with us, him and I were really close. And even when he left to go to the Spurs, when we played against them we still hung out and he would get me into the practice facility so I could get in the cold tub. He has always been really cool with me, and I thought he played a vital part in this. If I had questions, I would call him. And when things weren’t looking as good (during the Spurs’ pursuit), him and I would talk for an hour or two, just going over everything. He would maybe reaffirm some things that I didn’t understand, or I didn’t think were accurate. I told (Spurs general manager) R.C. Buford, I said, ‘Ime got the deal done.’ Pop (indicating that he’d remain the coach in the coming years) was very important to me, but Ime put in a lot of work on that.”

Q: Did I hear it right that he flew back to Dallas with you after your LA meetings were over?

A: “It (the meeting process) was done. I was down to two teams, Phoenix and the Spurs. I thought (Udoka) was staying in San Antonio for the summer, so I was like, ‘Hey, I’ve got a jet going to Dallas. You could get a flight from Dallas to San Antonio (to head home).’ So he was like, ‘Cool.’ So he gets on the jet, and I’m like, ‘We’re leaving. You should buy your flight (to San Antonio from Dallas) on the plane. Go buy your flight.’ He was like, ‘I ain’t buying no flight.’ I was like, ‘What do you mean?’ He’s like, ‘I live here (in Los Angeles) right now. I’m flying just to answer any questions that you have.’ I was like, ‘Man, you’re crazy.’ I said, ‘Get off the plane.’ He said, ‘No, I’m going to answer any question that you have.’ So I’m like, ‘You don’t have to do this. Don’t do this.’ He’s like, ‘Nah, I’m not getting off.’
    “So we rode – and I had my kids with me and my mom – so they sat in the front of the plane and him and I went to the back of the plane and talked the whole flight. It was just conversation, about the system, about me. It wasn’t really a lot of questions. It was just him telling me how I’m going to fit in. Everybody was making this big fuss about how I’m not going to be able to take shots anymore, or be the scorer that I am, and he was just telling me, ‘We need a guy to score down there. Tim (Duncan) is older, and we need a guy to command a double team down there.’ So I was like, ‘Maybe I’m not a Spur, because I’ve been averaging 23 (points per game) for the last three to four years, and maybe I don’t fit into y’all’s system of let’s all average 17 (points per game).’ And he was like, ‘No, we’re not trying to change who you are and make you average 16 or 17. We want you to be you, because you’re going to help us be better and vice versa.’ He kind of reaffirmed that they didn’t want to change me, and that who I am is ok.”

Q: You had two very different situations in Phoenix and San Antonio. Was there any part of you that was worried about Tim’s shadow? Going with the Suns obviously would have been different, with you as the main attraction.

A: “No, because I’m not trying to be Tim Duncan. I’m not trying to fill his shoes. No one is going to fill his shoes. First of all, he started there and he ended there. I’m not doing that. I didn’t start there. There’s no pressure, because I didn’t start there and I’m not trying to be him. My game is totally different than his.
    I never had any issues with it. I think the media blew it up more, like I’m trying to fill his spot and take his role. I was like, ‘No, I’m trying to be me.’ I feel like me being there with Pop in the system with the guys, I should be ok. That was what I was weighing: Go to Phoenix, be the face and the guy, or go to San Antonio and probably win sooner and be more blended in. That was my issue. And I was like, ‘If y’all want me to come here and average 12 or 13 points, that’s not who I am. I like scoring.’ They were like, ‘No, we want you to play in the system, but you scoring is needed here.’ Once I heard that, I was fine.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting how he wants his shots and was promised by Ime he would get them.
    Assuming Kawhi shot attempts will go up, will Porker be forced by Popped to distribute?

I hope so.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They sold that snake oil. Between Parker, Kiwi and Green... no way he's averaging more than 15 points. If he does that means the Spurs offense is not flowing and they are featuring him and he's not a featured player. Not to mention West is a ball hog as well. I just don't see him averaging 20 points in the Spurs system and them still being successful. I can't wait to see his reaction when he misses the all-star this year.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They sold that snake oil. Between Parker, Kiwi and Green... no way he's averaging more than 15 points. If he does that means the Spurs offense is not flowing and they are featuring him and he's not a featured player. Not to mention West is a ball hog as well. I just don't see him averaging 20 points in the Spurs system and them still being successful. I can't wait to see his reaction when he misses the all-star this year.
    I don't post upstairs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He'll get over it when he is holding up the Larry O' Brien, tbh.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice work by Udoka, but is Aldridge going to find the shots here to put up 23 ppg again? He's going to definitely be option #1, but Leonard is pretty devastating on the block and an in-shape Parker is a pretty high percentage scorer. And then Green being one of the top shooters in the league is a weapon the Spurs have to use too. I figure Duncan will take more of a David Robinson supporting role offensively now down low with a talent like Aldridge here, but the Spurs have some great offensive weapons you're going to want taking shots too. Not like Portland where you wanted to run the entire offense for Aldridge and Lillard and no one else really mattered.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully, he plays team ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He'll get over it when he is holding up the Larry O' Brien, tbh.
    Or he could be the reason why you don't win that trophy. You got Kiwi out there wanting to be MVP. He's going to have to score and get some assists to do that. I just see chemistry problems from the get go for these band of s.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1 minute before

Wanted: Dead or Alive Cowboys_Wear_Spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or he could be the reason why you don't win that trophy. You got Kiwi out there wanting to be MVP. He's going to have to score and get some assists to do that. I just see chemistry problems from the get go for these band of s.

I don't. For one LMA, will get a lot of open looks off the PnR for 15-18 Ft jumpers. He will also get a lot of easy buckets from the Spurs motion offense. Splitter would give up a lot of those 5ft post up whereas LMA won't. If LMA get's that close to the basket, he is more than likely shooting unless a double team comes really fast.

People failed to realize the Spurs won 4 of their 5 championships with a low scorer like LMA. Duncan's too old to do this on a nightly basis, so having LMA is a huge plus for the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    where r the spursfans that claimed Lamarcus would average less points and his production will drop off

This is LMAlphas team now butches

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This definitely paints a different picture of the process. I would actually say that LMA is more Parker's successor than he is Duncan's. For years, the Spurs relied on Parker's penetration to force the initial movements to allow the team to start its offense. Now, they're relying on LMA's post gravity. I think we'll see the team run a lot of different sets from last year's bunch.

As far as LMA's ppg goes, I hope he learns not to care about it too much, because it simply won't be as high as it was in Portland. I'll be amazed if he even eclipses 20. No matter how efficient he is for a midrange shooter, his offense will not be more efficient than most other guys on the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Knew this got was trouble. Will be traded next season imo.

I may or may not care. monkeypunk's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The high low between Tim and Lma will be brutal. Bringing back the 50 playbook!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not liking this shots/non-C play feelers he is putting out there, tbh....Dude get a grip you are not Lebron James, and even if you were, Pop rules the roost down here..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need him to score. It will be incredible seeing our openers being a formidable offensive threat!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need him to score. It will be incredible seeing our openers being a formidable offensive threat!
    Exactly. I just look back at all the good shots Splitter would pass up, or throw up some weak girly-man layup, and imagine LMA getting those same looks. That's going to be a major new wrinkle in the Spurs offense.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His concerns weren't totally off base. A guy like RJ came here and they tried to make him into a more efficient machine, and not only was his usage down but his efficiency never improved. I know Lamarcus isn't RJ, but RJ wasn't a slouch then.

I see him averaging around 20 ppg, but a very efficient 20. That will increase come playoff time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he definitely comes across as wanting to keep his numbers up.
    fine by me, as long as he performs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ime handing the keys to the entire franchise to LMAlpha

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1st round exit team just doing 1st round exit team things. Getting a franchise player. This is LMAlphas team now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is definitely a culture shock for Spurs fans. Not used to all the FA hoopla, guys openly talking about their PPG, etc...as long as he knows winning is the goal I'm fine. But it's interesting. Makes sense that PHX was in TE running. No pressure and plenty of shots.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't been able to get too hyped about the LMA signing and this is why. Still, you don't complain about getting a Top 15/20 player while keeping your core and most of your main cogs. Hopefully things work out...

Wanted: Dead or Alive Cowboys_Wear_Spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't been able to get too hyped about the LMA signing and this is why. Still, you don't complain about getting a Top 15/20 player while keeping your core and most of your main cogs. Hopefully things work out...
    He is Parker of the low-post. He is very much an offensive minded player. But unlike Parker, LMA doesn't need to dribble the ball to score. He is a very quick scorer. He doesn't stifle an offense. And with the Spurs system at play, I think he will easily avg 20 ppg as I think his FG% will be in the 50-55% range this season. So he will score more on fewer shots.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This definitely paints a different picture of the process. I would actually say that LMA is more Parker's successor than he is Duncan's. For years, the Spurs relied on Parker's penetration to force the initial movements to allow the team to start its offense. Now, they're relying on LMA's post gravity. I think we'll see the team run a lot of different sets from last year's bunch.

As far as LMA's ppg goes, I hope he learns not to care about it too much, because it simply won't be as high as it was in Portland. I'll be amazed if he even eclipses 20. No matter how efficient he is for a midrange shooter, his offense will not be more efficient than most other guys on the team.

When they say he's the successor to Duncan, they mean in a 'this is my team now' context.

The Spurs have pretty much always been Duncan's team (minus his rookie year).

Thread Information