Page 35 of 44 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Marjanovic salary has appeared on realgm trade checker (they are usually accurate but not always). It shows about a $1.2M salary which is all the capspace Spurs have if they don't waive Reggie Williams (and Williams salary is still on their trade checker).

If it's confirmed that Spurs haven't waived Williams to sign Marjanovic, it gives them another way to get the shooter they seems to look for with a little trade. Spurs could get a player paid $1.9M or less with Williams non-guaranteed contract in a trade. It would be lowered at a $1.6M player once they did all their moves and become a taxpaying team.
    Spurs could also do a bigger trade with aggregating Williams with another player. For example, Williams and Anderson can bring back a $3.6M player.

Or maybe realgm trade checker is wrong, Williams will be waived and Marjanovic will sign for the reported $2M.
    Outstanding info, thanks.

BOBAN for $1.2 million would be a pretty huge steal.

And considering how bad the free agent options are for that veteran wing need, it's nice to know that the trade front might not be all the way shut down.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy ing sucks. I've watched over 20 minutes of his "highlights". They consist almost solely of him dunking when defenders are nowhere near him. You'll notice you won't find any defensive highlights of this guy either. He's a slow, unskilled giant. And he's weak to boot. When he actually has a defender on him, he just throws up a shot from 3 ft, and in his highlights it goes in -- but I can't imagine it does when it's not a "highlight."

He was 6-26 FG from outside 5 ft of the rim in the Euroleague last year. When Fran Franchilla heard that the Spurs got him he just shrugged and commented on how slow he is. And he's a guy that goes absolutely nuts over even the softest and the worst of the Euro's.

This guy is 26, almost 27. He may be able to dunk without jumping much, but he's still not getting above 10 ft ever. Lebron and almost every NBA player can get to 11 ft in the air easy. It'll be a block party. We got a big ing stiff. Hiss athleticism is ZERO. I hope you're all happy.
    That's harshly worded, but after recently watching one of his entire games, I have to agree with you. He's really just NOT an NBA caliber center. He has no lateral mobility, and will be the single slowest player in the entire league. And defensively he'll be a complete disaster--can't defend beyond 5 feet from the hoop, will never be able to defend the pick and roll, and will be a sitting duck when it comes to guys getting easy transition buckets on him. The folks who've been overhyping him on this board are going to be sorely disappointed when they see him in actual games.
    Last edited by bobmc; 07-14-2015 at 05:43 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Sounds more and more likely that they've already officially signed him. Hopefully we'll know the exact details sometime today.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's harshly worded, but after recently watching one of his entire games, I have to agree with you. He's really just NOT an NBA caliber center. He has no lateral mobility, and will be the single slowest player in the entire league. And defensively he'll be a complete disaster--can't defend beyond 5 feet from the hoop, will never be able to defend the pick and roll, and will be a sitting duck when it comes to guys getting easy transition buckets on him. The folks who've been overhyping him on this board are going to be sorely disappointed when they see him in actual games.
    "Lateral mobility" on defense is the most overused phrase in the NBA right now. People repeating it should have big bird drop confetti on their head.

The only place where lateral mobility matters on defense is in a pickup game. Especially if your a big.

In the NBA, good lateral mobility will just get you a lot of blocking fouls.

In the NBA, people who aren't perceived as having great lateral mobility (like Kyle Anderson) are constantly underrated on defense.

Boban is so big and has such quick hands that he can block the shots of guys in the process of going by him.

He's just in better to position to start a break the other way, at that point, than if he had better "lateral mobility."

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Lateral mobility" on defense is the most overused phrase in the NBA right now. People repeating it should have big bird drop confetti on their head.

The only place where lateral mobility matters on defense is in a pickup game. Especially if your a big.

In the NBA, good lateral mobility will just get you a lot of blocking fouls.

In the NBA, people who aren't perceived as having great lateral mobility (like Kyle Anderson) are constantly underrated on defense.

Boban is so big and has such quick hands that he can block the shots of guys in the process of going by him.

He's just in better to position to start a break the other way, at that point, than if he had better "lateral mobility."
    Length of course trumps lateral mobility. Of course length and lateral mobility is better.

Speaking about length in the Spurs scheme, it is absolutely necessary because Spurs defenders, more often than not, do not jump when they defend a jump shot. They crowd you and put you in a uncomfortable position or area to make that shot, but they rarely jump to contest the shot. It's just arms raised up high. This also accounts for their low foul rate. Hard to call a foul on someone who just raises their arms.

So guys like Boban or Anderson are just perfect for Spurs defense. A lot of length and just enough strength to position you for an uncomfortable shot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Lateral mobility" on defense is the most overused phrase in the NBA right now.
    Yeah, no it's not. Lateral mobility is what allows Splitter to follow a guard around the pain to keep him from getting a driving lane to the basket. It's not about getting in front of guys. It's about staying on a guy's hip, and all good defenders need to be able to do that if they hope to stop a guy on the perimeter. Marjanovic lacking that means that he'll struggle to keep himself between the defender and the rim if he has to move far away from the rim. It's a big deal.

Wanted: Dead or Alive Cowboys_Wear_Spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you are as big as Boran, Quick lateral movement isn't totally necessary. Splitter is probably the 2nd quickest C in the league after Davis in that department.

But Boran reminds me of Eaton when it comes to defense. There are several plays that shown he getting beaten off the dribble by a guard, but because he has a 7'8 wingspan he is like 2-3 feet behind the player and still gets the block.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you are as big as Boran, Quick lateral movement isn't totally necessary. Splitter is probably the 2nd quickest C in the league after Davis in that department.

But Boran reminds me of Eaton when it comes to defense. There are several plays that shown he getting beaten off the dribble by a guard, but because he has a 7'8 wingspan he is like 2-3 feet behind the player and still gets the block.
    Boban (or Bobi)......

Anyway, I'm curious how Marc Gasol won defensive player of the year. Does he have the foot speed or the lateral mobility required of the NBA? Or does he simply just have the length?

Here is what one scout said about Marc:

"Liabilities
    Unlike Pau, Marc is a below average athlete ... Heavy legged player who will need to improve his foot speed to play in the NBA … Lacks fluidity in his movements as he is a bit mechanical … Must continue to work on conditioning his body as he appears to be carrying a little extra weight … A focus on strength training could improve his overall mobility greatly … Lacks the explosiveness to be even a decent shot blocker at the NBA level … Not a very good rebounder out of position, as he possesses below average lateral quickness … Post defense has improved greatly this year but still struggles when having to guard top athletes … Offensively his execution in the post is slow which allows opposing defenders to recover quickly, must learn to make moves more decisively … Can be a little foul prone … Not a great help defender by any means as he is often late on the play … Even though Gasol is a late bloomer who has yet to reach his potential he’s made big strides in the past year …"

That about the eventual Defensive Player of the Year.

So all this talk about Marjanovic being slow, mechanical whatever... all total B.S.!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The only place where lateral mobility matters on defense is in a pickup game.
    This is one of the flat out dumbest statements I've ever seen on a basketball message board. I don't know how anyone who's actually been watching the League in recent years could think this other than flat out ignorance of what they're watching or a basic misunderstanding of the sport. Not only does LM matter on defense, it is more crucial in today's game than ever before.

And, to the folks comparing him to guys like Gasol, I suggest you try watching some full Boban games to better understand the difference I'm talking about. We're talking about a whole different level of immobility and inagility here. Most of the NBA centers that we normally think of as "slow" move like gazelles compared to Boban.

But, because there's no point in wasting time continuing to debate such cluelessness, I'll just wait a few months for the "told ya so." Please remember this exchange when y'all are later wondering why Pop has Boban buried on the bench.
    Last edited by bobmc; 07-14-2015 at 02:45 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who are all these face-up 2nd string centers that are going to kill Boban off the dribble?

Of course he'll struggle defending the pick and roll, but there aren't a ton of 2nd-string guards that are creative enough to make a pass to the roll man over/around him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not thrilled with this guy but I guess he's the best we can do. Oh well.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again Yao was much slower lol

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boban does have big issues on defense and will have plenty of DNP-CDs.

But against scrub teams in the regular season, he'll have very good nights. Teams don't spend a lot of time in the regular season scheming for specific opponents, and there's going to be big backups for him to go against. Alex Len, Chris Kaman, Cole Aldrich, Mahinmi, Biyombo, Koufos, Pleiss, Dieng, etc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so green signed does this mean he is official also?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so green signed does this mean he is official also?
    His contract has been signed yesterday and the NBA has registered it but Spurs haven't done a press release about it.

I can see 2 explanations about that:
    - His FIBA letter of clearance is taking some time but the NBA has allowed Spurs to move on their offseason plan. Spurs would be allowed to communicate on Marjanovic signing when everything will be complete.
    - Marjanovic took the requisite NBA physical in Belgrade but Spurs want to have him in San Antonio to pass a more complete in depth physical and to have a little press conference before announcing his signing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His contract has been signed yesterday and the NBA has registered it but Spurs haven't done a press release about it.

- His FIBA letter of clearance is taking some time but the NBA has allowed Spurs to move on their offseason plan. Spurs would be allowed to communicate on Marjanovic signing when everything will be complete.
    - Marjanovic took the requisite NBA physical in Belgrade but Spurs want to have him in San Antonio to pass a more complete in depth physical and to have a little press conference before announcing his signing.
    Good clarifications.

I would expect Leonard, West and Simmons to formally sign now. There's nothing preventing it, is there?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good clarifications.

I would expect Leonard, West and Simmons to formally sign now. There's nothing preventing it, is there?
    There is nothing preventing it. Manu can also be signed.

The only case where I can see Spurs delaying a signing would be a possible trade with Reggie Williams contract. Once Spurs have signed all these players they will be in the luxury tax area and will only be allow to take back 125%+$100K instead of 150%+$100K in a trade.Anyway, it's a highly unlikely scenario even if I'm kinda puzzled why Spurs still have Williams' contract on their payroll.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The only case where I can see Spurs delaying a signing would be a possible trade with Reggie Williams contract. Once Spurs have signed all these players they will be in the luxury tax area and will only be allow to take back 125%+$100K instead of 150%+$100K in a trade.Anyway, it's a highly unlikely scenario even if I'm kinda puzzled why Spurs still have Williams' contract on their payroll.

Cheers Bruno, thanks for keeping us all in the know.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

thanks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Could be willing to invite him to camp. I mean, they need a shooter, and he already knows the system. If they're going trade, the question is who is worth a damn that they can fit into a Williams simultaneous TE? I think it'd have to be someone on a rookie contract or a small sign-and-trade (though that would make the apron a hard cap). Withey or McDaniels or Taylor might be up for grabs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could be willing to invite him to camp. I mean, they need a shooter, and he already knows the system.
    Maybe.
    Another possibility is that Spurs are trying to sneak just under the tax and they have keep Williams to justify not giving more money to Marjanovic. Depending on Green exact salary and if West will sign a 1 year or 2 years (with a player option) vet min contract, Spurs might be able to stay just under the tax even with signing a 14th player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eric Pincus @EricPincus
    Under the radar signing by the San Antonio Spurs Boban Marjanovic at $1.2 mil guaranteed for a year @BBallInsiders

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    $1.2 is a steal!

Thread Information