Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simmons reminds me the most of Jimmy Butler of the Bulls.

About the same size. (Simmons a little smaller.)

Both kind of late bloomers.

Both athletic, can play D, can pass, can shoot, handle the ball.

Both can do a little of everything.

Both from Houston.

Very similar background and roots. Similar type players.

Now, if only . . .
    Last edited by Russ; 07-17-2015 at 08:35 PM.

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eddie Jones was one of my favorite players before I began to dislike (to put it mildly) the Lakers.
    I'm too young to remember that EJ, but I vividly remember the EJ that played on the Heat before and during the Wade/Shaq era. Mainly a deadly spot up shooter but could still score

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simmons reminds me the most of Jimmy Butler of the Bulls.

About the same size. (Butler a little smaller.)

Both kind of late bloomers.

Both athletic, can play D, can pass, can shoot, handle the ball.

Both can do a little of everything.

Both from Houston.

Very similar background and roots. Similar type players.

Now, if only . . .
    I could see it playing out to where he shines with us (as per par) then gets offered something like 4y/50m to play elsewhere & we can't afford to keep him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I could see it playing out to where he shines with us (as per par) then gets offered something like 4y/50m to play elsewhere & we can't afford to keep him.
    We have him for 2 years, if we want, and by then, both the cap will explode, and Tim and Manu will be gone. Money shouldn't be an issue by then, if he warrants it.

you're a phony Holden_Caulfield's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    can be the playmaker we need in the second unit once manu hangs it up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've watched most of the summer league games, and I'm reading this thread and trying figure out if you guys are being sarcastic or not... Eddie Jones, Jimmy Butler, Tony Allen... the comparisons are insane... it's summer league... we talkin summer league... not a game... we talkin summer league!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Post about the two headed Spurs monster of Anderson and Simmons
    http://projectspurs.com/2015-article...d-simmons.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol these comparisons are so off. I only see one player when I watch this guy play, and that player is Tyreke Evans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He just had a weird path. There was some kind of grade issue in HS that left him 1 class short of graduation, he bounced around to 2 different CCs, and then had a good, but not spectacular year at UH, and went undrafted. There are probably hundreds of guys like him out there, but those others accepted their fates instead of playing in the USBL and going on open tryouts for a d-league team. He never quit.
    Why did he come out early from UH after one season? Must have needed the money, but that looks like it was a terrible decision.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    deshawn stevenson might be his best comparison...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've watched most of the summer league games, and I'm reading this thread and trying figure out if you guys are being sarcastic or not... Eddie Jones, Jimmy Butler, Tony Allen... the comparisons are insane... it's summer league... we talkin summer league... not a game... we talkin summer league!
    Most of the comparisons, including mine, were to how the player looks moving on the court. To me his body motions are similar to Tony Allen's. I'm not saying he is Tony Allen, which should be obvious.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol these comparisons are so off. I only see one player when I watch this guy play, and that player is Tyreke Evans.
    Yeah, you are spot on. That's EXACTLY who I think of when I see his game. Both have a blended skillset that can allow them to get away with playing 1-3 yet not being firmly any one of those positions. They attack VERY similarly and execute the eurostep the same. Dribble-style is similar too though Tyreke is a bit more upright with his. I really have no idea where Butler, Jones or Allen share any comparison at all! Allen doesn't even have an offensive game to compare to firstly. Jones and Butler were/are more traditional scorers as in playmaking for others being largely secondary...while Simmons is much more of a probing ballhandler looking to make the pass/play for another but will and can score and slash as necessary.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    deshawn stevenson might be his best comparison...
    Deshawn stevenson didn't have much of ANY ability to handle the ball like simmons nor make plays for others like simmons. And Simmons is much better off the dribble and finishing at the rim (at least if his summer league translates to the big stage well). I REALLY don't see stevenson at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Deshawn stevenson didn't have much of ANY ability to handle the ball like simmons nor make plays for others like simmons. And Simmons is much better off the dribble and finishing at the rim (at least if his summer league translates to the big stage well). I REALLY don't see stevenson at all.
    Deshawn came to the nba consider as a slasher two guard, and in his Washington days he was getting into the basket and making plays to some degree... I don't know if Simmons could be more than that in the league as he quite raw in his skills...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I finally got to see the guy play today and he looked NBA-ready with promise to do what's asked of him and maybe more. What I wonder is why has he been overlooked these past few years? He has the athleticism, speed and defensive hustle teams covet. Has he had character issues in the past? Low basketball IQ that plagued him until he started to figure things out last season? Injuries? What's been missing?
    Maturity.

You play enough games, you age a bit, then you figure out that there's more than pure atleticism to be good.

Lots of players come into the league with not enough skill to survive the NBA game. There are plenty more Hassan Whitesides out there.

Simmons is already 25 years old, he played for a unknown community college for 2 years, played of Univ. of Houston for a year. Played in some bush league before he even played in D-league. Got lucky even to be selected to play in D-league. Spent 2 years playing for Spurs, learning how to play team basketball.

6'5" players are a dime a dozen these days.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Yeah, you are spot on. That's EXACTLY who I think of when I see his game. Both have a blended skillset that can allow them to get away with playing 1-3 yet not being firmly any one of those positions. They attack VERY similarly and execute the eurostep the same. Dribble-style is similar too though Tyreke is a bit more upright with his. I really have no idea where Butler, Jones or Allen share any comparison at all! Allen doesn't even have an offensive game to compare to firstly. Jones and Butler were/are more traditional scorers as in playmaking for others being largely secondary...while Simmons is much more of a probing ballhandler looking to make the pass/play for another but will and can score and slash as necessary.
    Tyreke doesn't play a lick of defense & lacks tenacity. Not to mention that there is no way Simmons is playing point guard in the NBA unlike Tyreke. Eddie Jones was a pretty good playmaker for an off-guard & was a slasher back in his Lakers days. He was also a.pest on defense & had similar physical/athletic attributes as Simmons. Jimmy Butler is a VERY physical player who can bully guards which isn't the case for Simmons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tyreke doesn't play a lick of defense & lacks tenacity. Not to mention that there is no way Simmons is playing point guard in the NBA unlike Tyreke. Eddie Jones was a pretty good playmaker for an off-guard & was a slasher back in his Lakers days. He was also a.pest on defense & had similar physical/athletic attributes as Simmons. Jimmy Butler is a VERY physical player who can bully guards which isn't the case for Simmons.
    If Jimmy Butler bullies guards, does Kawhi bully forwards?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Matt Barnes says no...

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Ask Lebron & Iggy if Kawhi is a bully

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Matt Barnes says no...
    20/7 on near 50% shooting GTFOH troll

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's not known whether Simmons can defend at an NBA level so that's irrelevant. Offense seems to translate much easier and Simmons is in NO way similar to Eddie Jones in any facet of the game. Please stop trying to push this narrative. It's a slap in the face to Eddie Jones, whom was a truly great player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Matt Barnes says no...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    San Antonio Spurs

29 mins ·

Jonathon Simmons answers the questions of ‪#‎SpursNation‬:

Twitter Q&A: Jonathon Simmons
    nba.com

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    San Antonio Spurs

29 mins ·

Jonathon Simmons answers the questions of ‪#‎SpursNation‬:

Twitter Q&A: Jonathon Simmons
    nba.com
    Thanks for posting. JS seems like a good guy, though having Kobe Bryant as his favorite player sends up a minor red flag!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for posting. JS seems like a good guy, though having Kobe Bryant as his favorite player sends up a minor red flag!
    Yeah, and the chirping at officials. Make you raise an eyebrow.

Thread Information