Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shhhh... I'll be gentle. TheDoctor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ...bringing Simmons off the bench despite his breakout summer...
    Simmons' our new mini Manu. Actually that was a smart decision by Becky or those who thought about it. Identifying the Big Team's need of a slasher/passer/scorer coming from the bench in the near future.

The 6th is coming... will_spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good for her that she's transitioning well from player to coach. There's no reason why she shouldn't be able to coach a men's team to a high level. I hope she gets a head coach position some day, even though it will probably be a nightmare if it happens in the wrong organization/culture.

And speaking of culture, I'm sure every player is aware that Pop is backing her up 100% and that any show of disobedience or misogyny would be the kiss of death for said player's chances with the Spurs.

Wanted: Dead or Alive Cowboys_Wear_Spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Becky's motivating factor. Jokes aside, I have always been a huge supporter of her. She is a very smart women who exhibit a great feel for the game during her tenure as a player. Maybe she can teach Parker to pass a little more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    she can cookch, tbh..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the doubters.

Becky is mah girl.
    This is true.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dat misogyny took a hit tbh...

props to Becky... She did a solid coaching job tbh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The NBA players coming into the league are born at the tail end of the 90's -- they're barely going to be phobic, let alone misogynistic.

What we have to worry about is another team poaching her.
    Tolerance is certainly higher for everything nowadays, but I disagree with this..misogyny is still rampant, and I think we are very far away from a woman coaching an NBA team and succeeding..There are very few organizations where even hiring somebody like Hammon could work(Spurs being one of them)

We have many coaches in the NBA that don't get respect from their players, as it is, I highly doubt a woman could successfully command a locker room, tbh..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tolerance is certainly higher for everything nowadays, but I disagree with this..misogyny is still rampant, and I think we are very far away from a woman coaching an NBA team and succeeding..There are very few organizations where even hiring somebody like Hammon could work(Spurs being one of them)

We have many coaches in the NBA that don't get respect from their players, as it is, I highly doubt a woman could successfully command a locker room, tbh..
    I wish I didn't think you were right.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wish I didn't think you were right.
    Well, even if it were to happen, it would have to be for an organization like the Spurs and she would have to have a winning record in her time with that organization before moving on to a different environment IMO..if she replaced Pop and led the Spurs to some play off appearances, etc, it would buy her credibility and aid the move elsewhere..

Rookie coaches don't receive much respect in the NBA, especially coaches that never played at that level, let alone a woman in a men's league..look at Dave Blatt, he is a coaching legend overseas, but a joke in the NBA and reportedly has minimal authority with the Cavs..

Rookie coach + never played in the NBA + woman in a men's league = going to be a difficult transition

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tough for her to become HC in this league but she's ultimately a better basketball mind than the likes of Willams, SCott and many others.

The key would have to be strong support from a president and owner and as well as a disciplinarian assistant who respects becky

In all honesty, I wouldn't be opposed to finding that kind of structure to give her a shot..She knows her Ball..

But it's tough..really tough.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, even if it were to happen, it would have to be for an organization like the Spurs and she would have to have a winning record in her time with that organization before moving on to a different environment IMO..if she replaced Pop and led the Spurs to some play off appearances, etc, it would buy her credibility and aid the move elsewhere..

Rookie coaches don't receive much respect in the NBA, especially coaches that never played at that level, let alone a woman in a men's league..look at Dave Blatt, he is a coaching legend overseas, but a joke in the NBA and reportedly has minimal authority with the Cavs..

Rookie coach + never played in the NBA + woman in a men's league = going to be a difficult transition
    Oh believe me, I realize all that. Honestly, even for the Spurs it would be an uphill battle for her as head coach, even if she's a truly gifted coach, which it seems like she might well be.

Like I said, I think you're right, I just wish I didn't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Pop took his brain back. xellos88330's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with what Harlem said. The only way to prove you belong is to win. The entire culture with the Spurs based on getting the job done with no ego involved. Winning is also a big part of Spurs culture. What better place to break ground on new social standards than from within an organization like the Spurs.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    Got damn. That's funny.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs should fire her, ok so she has good basketball mind but that's the last thing Pop need as assistant as Pop having maybe the brightest bb mind of all, what he needs is some bad mother er(someone like Bruce is ideal) to hide his big naiveness nature and not some chick...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    cool story kobyz

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs should fire her, ok so she has good basketball mind but that's the last thing Pop need as assistant as Pop having maybe the brightest bb mind of all, what he needs is some bad mother er(someone like Bruce is ideal) to hide his big naiveness nature and not some chick...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just stumbled on this:

http://www.secondspectrum.com/leadership/

Becky Hammon is an advisor to this company that does ridiculously advanced basketball analytics:

read: http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...028-story.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "SPORTS ADVISORY BOARD

Second Spectrum's Sports Advisory Board provides critical feedback throughout our product development process.

The board's direction allows us to extract further insights from the game that only the athletes themselves can provide.

Their expertise helps us deliver crucial and applicable information."

totally hilarious corporate-speak, critical, crucial BULL throughout

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

"SPORTS ADVISORY BOARD

Second Spectrum's Sports Advisory Board provides critical feedback throughout our product development process.

The board's direction allows us to extract further insights from the game that only the athletes themselves can provide.

Their expertise helps us deliver crucial and applicable information."

totally hilarious corporate-speak, critical, crucial BULL throughout

Read the 2nd article. Looks pretty legit. Also 8 NBA teams are already using the system.

Thread Information