69 46.00%
  • Bowen

81 54.00%
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Bowen is mad overrated by fans who can't be objective. People don't realize how much better the Spurs defense is than it was with Bowen. Back then, the idea was that great players were going to get theirs and you just had to do your best to make things harder on them. But the Spurs can actually render the opposing stars ineffective for whole series with their defensive personnel. And it's not like Bruce didn't have advantages Green and Leonard don't have. Players were allowed to play much more physically than they are now. So the fact that the Spurs put up superior efforts against stars is even more impressive, given that it's extremely hard with the current rules to "get into the heads" of opponents.

Green and Leonard would be elite defenders in Bowen's era. At best, Bowen would be Tony Allen with worst driving skills but better shooting. And even though Allen has elite defensive metrics, he's barely a plus player against good opponents.
    Green without a doubt has more talent than Bowen ever had. That said, Bowen put a lot more effort into the game and was more focused. Green tends to coast or become extremely passive, this makes a lot of fans crazy because they all know that he can do better. With Bowen we were all content when he made an occasional 3 pointerl, but we wouldn't care much if he didn't contribute to the offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Green.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bruce never needed to rebound assist score steal block. He just had to defend. He had prime timmy behind him. It's a lot closer than people think. 50/50 for me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Green without a doubt has more talent than Bowen ever had. That said, Bowen put a lot more effort into the game and was more focused. Green tends to coast or become extremely passive, this makes a lot of fans crazy because they all know that he can do better. With Bowen we were all content when he made an occasional 3 pointerl, but we wouldn't care much if he didn't contribute to the offense.
    Yeah, but that was good enough back then. It's not now. Bowen would be a near liability seeing as teams are much better at protecting against the corner three now. Since Bruce wasn't a threat anywhere else on the court, his spacing impact would be lessened if he played now. He might not be Allen bad, but he'd struggle to be a plus player, especially since the Big Three are each well past their prime. Imagine how much better the Spurs' spacing would have been had they had Green there instead. Danny has one of the highest gravities in the league. Having him and Horry on the wings (the physical location, not the position) would completely open up the court for the Big Three.

808s & Heartbreak Kool Bob Love's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonner: 2

Robinson: 2

Quite the pickle you've created.
    thread is about green and Bowen tho.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dont understand anyone saying Green is a superior player to Green, they are both 3&D who can do little else. Bowen was assisted on 99.6% of his 3's while Danny on "only" 94%. Bowen was a better defender and a legit DPOY candidate every year, whereas Danny may never make an all defense team.

Green is obviously a better shooter but Bowen was still elite. Bruces first year was his worst, but from 02-03 until he retired he shot 41% from 3, compared to Danny who has shot 42.5% from 3 since 2011-12. Im surprised by this considering how great Danny has been, but Bowen actually shot better for the Spurs in the playoffs than Danny has, 44% to 43%. Both are incredible numbers and Danny put up much more volume which counts for something.

Neither of them can do much else at an NBA level. Personally I'm taking Bruces better defense over Greens marginally better shooting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bruce rang thrice last time i checked and is undefeated on the Finals... DG would need to at least win two more and be the shutdown D player on each ring run (Kawhi has that role now) that Bruce was to be put in the same category. Bruce>DG still
    Kawhi is the best defender in the league, but why do people forget that Danny is almost always going to take 50% of kawhi responsibility in terms of guarding the best player?

And Danny's time on superstars now will be even more with Leonard's increased offensive responsiblity.

In the last two month of the season last year, Danny was the designated stopper..he spent more time on the 1 options than Kawhi.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bruce. He took DPOY votes away from Duncan. Such a travesty.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bowen severely limited Nash's effectiveness in 2007, forcing him to be a scorer, resulting in him turning it over repeatedly iirc. Green will be the better player once he's done, but at this stage he's had 3.5 good seasons and Bowen had 7 effective ones.
    Last edited by Tuddy; 07-21-2015 at 07:00 PM.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why does the Op include rings/finals appearances under Green but not Bowen?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dont understand anyone saying Green is a superior player to Green, they are both 3&D who can do little else. Bowen was assisted on 99.6% of his 3's while Danny on "only" 94%. Bowen was a better defender and a legit DPOY candidate every year, whereas Danny may never make an all defense team.
    No one's arguing that Bowen is more hyped that Green, which is all that DPOY and All-Defense establishes.

Green is obviously a better shooter but Bowen was still elite. Bruces first year was his worst, but from 02-03 until he retired he shot 41% from 3, compared to Danny who has shot 42.5% from 3 since 2011-12. Im surprised by this considering how great Danny has been, but Bowen actually shot better for the Spurs in the playoffs than Danny has, 44% to 43%. Both are incredible numbers and Danny put up much more volume which counts for something.
    Green takes harder shots and shots that are more helpful to the offense (especially nowadays) than Bowen did. This doesn't even mention that you can run plays for Green to get shots much more easily than you can for Bowen. Looking at percentages doesn't come close to establishing offensive importance. The two leaders in TS% last season were Korver and Chandler, but there's no question which one of the two was more deadly to a defense. Harder shots and more dynamic shots matter.

Neither of them can do much else at an NBA level. Personally I'm taking Bruces better defense over Greens marginally better shooting.
    Bowen's Spurs per-36 numbers: 8/4/2/1/0 (rounded, obviously)
    Green's Spurs per-36 numbers: 14/5/2/2/1

The production just wasn't there. Bruce was a niche player, while Danny is a legit starting two in any era.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bruce Bowen and it isn't even close. There was a time when the NBA wasn't a ticky tack hand-check foul league, and Bruce Bowen played prior to that era. Also, comparing the two isn't even fair because Danny Green would never have defended any prime PFs in KG or Dirk like the way Bowen did.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi is the best defender in the league, but why do people forget that Danny is almost always going to take 50% of kawhi responsibility in terms of guarding the best player?

And Danny's time on superstars now will be even more with Leonard's increased offensive responsiblity.

In the last two month of the season last year, Danny was the designated stopper..he spent more time on the 1 options than Kawhi.
    Depending on the nature of the series, they switch off between being CB and FS. For most of the second half of the RS, Kawhi played FS and was a steal and block maestro. For the 2014 WCF and Finals, Leonard was the CB and Green was the FS, pretty much shutting down whichever role-player was trying to go off and rotating down to protect the paint.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There was a time when the NBA wasn't a ticky tack hand-check foul league, and Bruce Bowen played prior to that era.
    You say that like it's an advantage to Green that it's harder to guard players nowadays.

Also, comparing the two isn't even fair because Danny Green would never have defended any prime PFs in KG or Dirk like the way Bowen did.
    "Defend" is pretty generous considering the fact that Dirk took Bowen to the cleaners.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Green capable of 400+ 3ptfga per year and make 40%+. That is a significant difference.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why? Why was everyone in Bowen's day better than their modern counterparts? It's crazy how people try to justify the lower standard for defense last decade. Same people usually think Memphis just keeps getting screwed out of playoff wins every year.
    Didn't even realize people thought this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think a better question, honestly, should be Bowen vs. Kawhi Leonard on defense only. Who is better?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Green is playing in the toughest conference ever..

In a league that's harder to defend because of offensive diversity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think a better question, honestly, should be Bowen vs. Kawhi Leonard on defense only. Who is better?
    It's easier, if that's what you mean. Kawhi. Bowen is overrated.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't even realize people thought this.
    Yeah. only a Zbo suspension and Conley injury away from back-to-back les

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bowen was the best perimeter defender in the league for years...consistently brought the edge every single night. And he made the defense pay for sagging off the corner. I like Green a lot, but his defense isn't consistently elite like Bowen. Unfortunately he does suffer by comparison to Kawhi, but I think he would've also suffered by comparison to Bowen. People may also forget that Bowen added a one-dribble mid-range pull up to his game after defenses started closing hard. In other words, he wasn't a one trick pony on offense.

So, for me it's Bowen and the one reason why...consistency.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one's arguing that Bowen is more hyped that Green, which is all that DPOY and All-Defense establishes.

Green takes harder shots and shots that are more helpful to the offense (especially nowadays) than Bowen did. This doesn't even mention that you can run plays for Green to get shots much more easily than you can for Bowen. Looking at percentages doesn't come close to establishing offensive importance. The two leaders in TS% last season were Korver and Chandler, but there's no question which one of the two was more deadly to a defense. Harder shots and more dynamic shots matter.

Bowen's Spurs per-36 numbers: 8/4/2/1/0 (rounded, obviously)
    Green's Spurs per-36 numbers: 14/5/2/2/1

The production just wasn't there. Bruce was a niche player, while Danny is a legit starting two in any era.
    Saying Bruce was less important to the offense is meaningless when you consider that he played with 3 Hall of Famers in their primes. They are both capable of playing the same role on each others teams, Bowen could do everything for the '14 Spurs that Danny did and the same goes for Green and the mid '00s Spurs. Danny scores nearly twice as many points because he takes nearly twice as many threes, that's just an indication of the way the game has changed in the past 5-10 years. If Bowen played today he'd be averaging 12+ points on nearly 7 3PA per 36 just like Green is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Green capable of 400+ 3ptfga per year and make 40%+. That is a significant difference.
    Just because Bowen didn't do it doesn't mean he wasn't capable, the game has changed.

00 06 12 13 20 21 32 44 5 bus driver's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    70% of the earth is covered by water the rest is covered by bruce

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saying Bruce was less important to the offense is meaningless when you consider that he played with 3 Hall of Famers in their primes. They are both capable of playing the same role on each others teams, Bowen could do everything for the '14 Spurs that Danny did and the same goes for Green and the mid '00s Spurs. Danny scores nearly twice as many points because he takes nearly twice as many threes, that's just an indication of the way the game has changed in the past 5-10 years. If Bowen played today he'd be averaging 12+ points on nearly 7 3PA per 36 just like Green is.
    Most of this is unsubstantiated, but the bolded is just absurd. Bowen could hit the corner three at a decent rate (for corner threes). Danny's a better shooter from the corner, but he's also able to expand his range around the arch. That's critical to spacing in the modern NBA. Bowen isn't close.

Thread Information