69 46.00%
  • Bowen

81 54.00%
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would Bowen be able to keep up with a guy like Westbrook?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have always been a Bowen fan but I think Verde is the better player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bruce was my third favorite spur before behind td and manu but green is just a better overall player. I do think bruce has a slight edge defensively. Still taking Verde.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's Bowen if we are ignoring cir stances, tbh..however, playing in the handcheck era with prime Duncan(and Alonzo Mourning) behind you certainly helps your defense..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bowen and not even close, probably my second favorite spur, gave us a winning mentality that Green is lacking, Green is nice guy and it's not fitting his role and it's hurt the Spurs, tend to totally desapeer for long sections in playoff serieses...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobody wears the bow tie like Bowen!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CP3 toyed with the Spurs throughout round 1. Iirc he had 1 poor game

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bowen invented the 3 and D.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bowen and it's honestly not that close. One, Bowen was a terrific athlete and just an iron man. played and started 500 straight games and the only reason his streak was broken was because of a questionable suspension. And that was in his mid and late thirties for s sake.

Bowen could guard one through five, as well. Not one on one every night every possession, no no no kids. Guys like Dirk and Kobe still got theirs when they managed to get the ball. But thats just the thing... The reason Bowen could shut down the likes of Peja, Kobe and ZBo was him being absolutely adept at denying opposing players the ball in their comfort zone. No stat, traditional or advanced, can quantify the psychological effect of disrupting a player's rhythm and often times, the entire flow of the offense.

And let's not mince words here: Bowen was dirty. He stretched the rules to the max and was extremely physical. I remember players and coaches literally complaining that the refs let him punch players on the court. Green just doesnt have that edge about him. We all remember him showing up to the Heat's post championship party.

Bowen was more clutch defensively, as well. He always seemed to come through big on that end in the most important moments. The game he outscored Kobe was an indirect result of his tenacious defense. The block on Dirk, game 5 of the 2006 WCSF. The block on Chauncey in Game 7 of the 05 Finals. Green's certainly more desirable for a last second offensive play but defensively, Id always take Bowen.

The intangibles Bowen brought to the table are beyond the stat sheet, traditional or otherwise. And honestly, theyre beyond Green. DG's a great great player in his own right and he deserves a place in the comversation. Hes certainly better offe sively. But Id trade 2003 Bowen for him without question. Just my two cents.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People choosing brucie but unable to back it up with stats. But he delivered for us when it mattered!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People choosing brucie but unable to back it up with stats. But he delivered for us when it mattered!
    It's not always about stats.

Bowen had a great 5 year stretch for the Spurs in which they won 3 les and was the primary perimeter defender during those years. When his role was diminished, or done, the Spurs floundered in the playoffs until the emergence of Kawhi. Those are all the stats you need.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Bowen had a great 5 year stretch for the Spurs in which they won 3 les and was the primary perimeter defender during those years. When his role was diminished, or done, the Spurs floundered in the playoffs until the emergence of Kawhi. Those are all the stats you need.
    This.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Duncan had a great 5 year stretch for the Spurs in which they won 3 les and was the primary defender during those years. When his role was diminished, or done, the Spurs floundered in the playoffs until the emergence of Kawhi. Those are all the stats you need.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Manu and tony got old too and we started RJ. Kawhi replaced the tony and manu equivalent and green replaced the bowen equivalent hence the thread.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bowen's impact is tough to quantify, because of the way the Spurs utilized him, and due to the style of play of the team..if you're looking strictly at offensive metrics, both individual and team impact, Bowen is seen as a very poor offensive player and Danny Green looks like Michael Jordan in comparison of the numbers..

I'm not sure if there's a precedent for Bowen in regards to numbers vs. impact, especially on the perimeter..even looking at some of Bowen's contemporaries from the era(like Battier, for instance), their offensive metrics aren't similar..

Realistically, in 10 years, Bowen will probably be dismissed by most fans that didn't watch him play, unfortunately..all offensive on/off metrics have him as a liability, and that's not even considering individual numbers, too(which are partly skewed due to his role, but credit to Pop for utilizing him perfectly)..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bowen is almost a gimmick player. Outstanding athlete, dirty, effective, but also totally a systems player on both sides of the ball. Danny was an elite defensive player in a much more complex offense and defense.

Bruce just had to press and trust Duncan.

Did Bowen ever get major $$$$ interest during free agency? Green did. He turned it down. Only a few nba teams can afford to start Bowen.nearly every team with a decent point guard can use green effectively

Green is so crafty to play defense without fouling and using length. Give me Verde in any era. Bowen had a nice career-5 years as a starter. Green could be a starting two for 7-10 years. It's won't even be close then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Agree. You had to be there.

Also, Green is a limited offensive player who relies on shooting open 3's just like Bowen. He takes more, but Bowen was consistent and always shot over 40% 3pt in playoffs and made the shots he needed to.

But the main point is that when Bowen declined defensively the Spurs stopped winning, even though they had the same team.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What Green did in 2013 bruce could never come close to that.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree. You had to be there.

Also, Green is a limited offensive player who relies on shooting open 3's just like Bowen. He takes more, but Bowen was consistent and always shot over 40% 3pt in playoffs and made the shots he needed to.

But the main point is that when Bowen declined defensively the Spurs stopped winning, even though they had the same team.
    We didn't start winning with green either? Hence the thread.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, Bowen could defend quick players like Kobe, and big physical players like Zach Randolph. It's true he struggled against Dirk, but no one could really defend him.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, Bowen could defend quick players like Kobe, and big physical players like Zach Randolph. It's true he struggled against Dirk, but no one could really defend him.
    Green can't defend quick players? Am I missing something in this thread?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu and tony got old too and we started RJ. Kawhi replaced the tony and manu equivalent and green replaced the bowen equivalent hence the thread.
    Kawhi didn't replace Tony and Manu, and Green didn't replace Bowen. Manu and Tony were both effective after '08 and before Kawhi's emergence. Where are the championship appearances during that stretch? Kawhi replaced what Bowen brought to the Spurs. It would be more fitting for you to say DG has replaced some of what Manu and Tony used to bring.

No Bowen, no championships in '03, '05 and '07. No Kawhi, no championship in '14. Danny is a good defender...not on Bruce's level. Who was the Lebron stopper in '07? In '14? You're comparing the wrong two players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jack shut Dirk down the very next year. Seriously, people need to quit this idea that Bowen was a good Dirk or Nash option. He may have been the best the Spurs had, but he wasn't a good one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi didn't replace Tony and Manu, and Green didn't replace Bowen. Manu and Tony were both effective after '08 and before Kawhi's emergence. Where are the championship appearances during that stretch? Kawhi replaced what Bowen brought to the Spurs. It would be more fitting for you to say DG has replaced some of what Manu and Tony used to bring.

No Bowen, no championships in '03, '05 and '07. No Kawhi, no championship in '14. Danny is a good defender...not on Bruce's level. Who was the Lebron stopper in '07? In '14? You're comparing the wrong two players.
    The team stopped Lebron in 07. Do all the folks who claim you have to have seen Bowen live to understand him really not remember those Finals at all?

Thread Information