• Green

69 46.00%
  • Bowen

81 54.00%
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look guise! Bruce shutting down lebron in the finals! Yeah no, lebron was blowing by him easily. Duncan cleaned up his mess beautifully.
    Vid-----> https://youtu.be/qkYl1eKTfZs
    Without looking, Im gonna assume Bruce forced him to the help. And even if he did just get burned, its LeBron James dude lol

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi s on bruce's defense.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    O ya I forgot kawhi goT dpoy.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Accidently derailed thread.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bowen was old in 2007. He was at his best 2003-5.

Interesting thread but ultimately pointless. Different players, both successful.

If Green was more consistent I would have voted for him, but you could go either way.

Earth, Wind, and Fire. BlackSilver's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Without looking, Im gonna assume Bruce forced him to the help. And even if he did just get burned, its LeBron James dude lol
    Wasting your breath. To some folks defense=steal, I guess. Or physically obstructing the guy maybe?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As good as Leonard's defense is, he gets blown up at times too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Similar players, tbh...

Bruce had impeccable footwork to stay in front of guys, had the strength to get physical and not be overwhelmed, and most importantly, he knew exactly what kind of defense we were playing (funnel to Duncan on the baseline) and executed it night in and night out. He was also incredibly durable and extremely professional.

Danny has very good footwork too but I feel his main strength is his length, something Bruce didn't have. He still has a few minor things to clean up, like the closeouts (which we've discussed before), and the instinctive fouling when he's overpowered, but at this point you know who he is, what he can give you and he's very good at what he does.

I voted Bruce simply because he's done it consistently for longer, but when all is said and done, Danny could certainly be up there at the top.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As good as Leonard's defense is, he gets blown up at times too.
    Not really. Only instance I can think of was the clips series and that was because Kawhi was high double or triple picked on defense and then wasn't helped and then he had to also create on offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not always about stats.

Bowen had a great 5 year stretch for the Spurs in which they won 3 les and was the primary perimeter defender during those years. When his role was diminished, or done, the Spurs floundered in the playoffs until the emergence of Kawhi. Those are all the stats you need.
    And green delivered in 2 straight finals, we would have a b2b if Duncan was there to rebouns for the last play and Green couldve been fmvp.

And no you cannot do a player v player without stats. I bet Green would win 3 les with prime duncan too

Earth, Wind, and Fire. BlackSilver's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    O ya I forgot kawhi goT dpoy.
    I love Kawhi but everyone knows that Bruce was denied DPOY because of Rick Carlisle's shameless inflated campaign for Ron Artest. That and the Ben Wallace fromenon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So basically if you pick Danny, you hate Bruce and started watching basketball after he retired. Ok.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hands down, Bowen (see what I did there?)

Seems as if most of the Bowen haters started watching the Spurs after 2007. Green has shown flashes but nothing consistently. Yes, Bowen played in more of a one on one era than it is now, and it is true the folks he guarded did have big games, but save for those crazy series against the Suns I don't recall teams routinely cracking 90 against the Spurs. It's almost as if those guys took it upon themselves to demolish Bruce and thus took most of the shot clock to score. And at considerable physical effort.

Lol that the team stopped Lebron in '07. That was pretty much Bowen, and mainly because Lebron couldn't shoot jumpers, the Cavs had no offense besides giving him the ball and standing around, and Bowen executed the game plan perfectly of making him shoot Js.
    Bowen couldn't stop Lebron in '07, that was all Duncan and an entire team effort. Someone else posted a clip, you can see Bowen getting thrown around like a rag doll, he wasn't providing much resistance against Lebron. Let's not act like Lebron was in his prime either, playing on that horrific Cavs squad. The '14 version featured a vastly superior team, and a much better version of James with a 20-30lb weight increase.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess to me Bowen was stronger mentally and that's the difference. Green can get in a funk and become ineffective sometimes. But I could change my mind at some point.

Bowen was older when he got to the Spurs and was really at his best in 2003 against Kobe. By 2007 he had lost a step, and really even before that. So Green could definitely move past Bowen after a couple more years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thats basically Spurs team defensive concepts 101. Perimeter defenders always give their quarry a place to go - right into help.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thats basically Spurs team defensive concepts 101. Perimeter defenders always give their quarry a place to go - right into help.
    Except he was just geting blown by. Little to no funneling.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Bowen was older when he got to the Spurs and was really at his best in 2003 against Kobe. By 2007 he had lost a step, and really even before that. So Green could definitely move past Bowen after a couple more years.
    Age is an important factor related to this. Danny is in his prime right now and our most recent memories of Bruce are of a player at the end of his career. I'd like to see how Danny fares over the next few years before I pass judgment. Bruce Bowen was very very good in his best years. But so is Danny (and Danny's O is definitely a significant upgrade to Bruce's).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Except he was just geting blown by. Little to no funneling.
    In 2007? He was also like 37 years old dude. Yea, thats a totally fair comparison to a 26 year old Danny Green.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wasting your breath. To some folks defense=steal, I guess. Or physically obstructing the guy maybe?
    Bruce Bowen never shut lebron down. When I saw the 07 finals I watched bruce get burned by and allow deep post position on the reg. Bruce didn't shut Bron down. The spurs double teams and packing the paint did.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi s on bruce's defense.
    Not

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We always need a bit of a hard arse defensive player. The Rodman, Bowens, CapJacks. We have 2 elite wing defenders in kawhi/Green but neither are the type to do the dirty work. Maybe West can bring a bit of an edge to the team

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tough but I'd take bowen. As mentioned, he was a bit dirty and got in opponent's heads. Green is buddies with every opponent and it's always a love fest pre and post game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Green-Leonard are such great defenders, they were able to counter one of the worst defensive duo's in NBA history, Beli-Parker, people don't realize how bad that combo was. Leonard-Green not only had to guard their man, but Parker-Beli's man as well, they provided 0 defense. Any time those 2 were involved in a play I'd just pretend they weren't even there.

The Spurs' defense outside of them isn't very good. Duncan is still elite in the paint/post, but draw him out on the perimeter and he's a liability. A team can run 10 high screen and rolls over and over again and TD won't be able to defend any of them (pretty much what LA exposed). Splitter is a solid defender but was never healthy last year, so we never saw what that defensive combo truly looked like.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bowen here, gave pain in the ass to Kobe Dirk Nash Lebron etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Green... Because he put his nuts on Greg Paulus' face.

Thread Information