Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    they have the rice? or don't?

if they have it, have they fed it to (young) humans and checked for increase in serum Vit A?

So stop the research on Golden Rice because it's not finished?
    Stop being such a disingenuous panty waste.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's almost as if handouts keep people dependent on BigGov, as opposed to actually working for a living.
    Or that having welfare keeps people alive, and therefore available to work, but whatever.

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    I have a garden.

Keep the pests off with soap and water.

I also have to GMO Tangerine trees that do wonderfully in the rocky basic soils of NW SA.
    If you time it properly and do the proper research you can find some good hybrids that Texas ATM has played with that do very well at different times of the year in hot Texas rocky soils. ATM has got some fantastic VFM tomatoes ( highly modified to resist roundworms, common tomato fungus, etc...)

You should be getting those young tomatoes ready for a good fall crop. Your okra should be doing fantastically this year. Pick it early as possible, you wait one day and it's too big to harvest in some cases.

Boots stay away from all ATM hybrids, some are GMO.
    When I spray any sort of insecticide there is a pretty good chance I get sick. The way it's been described to me is that the insecticide s are the worst for health. Fungicides are second and herbicides are the least likely to make an applicator ill. I'd imagine the soap is not killing the insects but it's leaving an icky film on the plant. You are eating soap basically.Lots of insecticides kill on contact but leave no residual action behind.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When I spray any sort of insecticide there is a pretty good chance I get sick. The way it's been described to me is that the insecticide s are the worst for health. Fungicides are second and herbicides are the least likely to make an applicator ill. I'd imagine the soap is not killing the insects but it's leaving an icky film on the plant. You are eating soap basically.Lots of insecticides kill on contact but leave no residual action behind.
    Soap definitely kills the stink bugs that probe tomatoes and aphids. Soap is too basic for them I think. I have not watched if direct contact kills all the types of caterpillars. I might keep some caterpillars and grow them to moths like I used to, except spray them and watch. Only problem is I gotta go out of town for work too much and my wife is starting to refuse to help with my experiments. Imagine that...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Abstract

Glyphosate is one of the most widely applied herbicides globally but its persistence in seawater has not been reported.

Here we quantify the biodegradation of glyphosate using standard “simulation” flask tests with native bacterial populations and coastal seawater from the Great Barrier Reef.

The half-life for glyphosate at 25 °C in low-light was 47 days, extending to 267 days in the dark at 25 °C and 315 days in the dark at 31 °C, which is the longest persistence reported for this herbicide.

AMPA, the microbial transformation product of glyphosate, was detected under all conditions, confirming that degradation was mediated by the native microbial community.

This study demonstrates glyphosate is moderately persistent in the marine water under low light conditions and is highly persistent in the dark.

Little degradation would be expected during flood plumes in the tropics, which could potentially deliver dissolved and sediment-bound glyphosate far from shore.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...25326X14000228

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can't separate GMO food from the corrupt GMO industrial/political system

Vandana Shiva: ‘We Must End Monsanto’s Colonization, It’s Enslavement of Farmers’

Monsanto’s subversion of democratic legal processes is not new. In fact, it is their modus operandi, be it the subversion of LA’s decision to be GMO free by amending the California Seed Law—equating corporations with persons and making seed libraries and exchange of seedbeyond 3 miles illegal—or suing Maui County for passing a law banning GMOs.

Decades before there was a “debate” over GMOs and Monsanto’s PR and law firms became the busiest of bees, India was introduced to this corrupting, corporate giant that had no respect for the laws of the land. When this massive company did speak of laws, these laws had been framed, essentially, by their own lawyers.

Today, Indian cotton farmers are facing a genocide that has resulted in the death of at least300,000 of their brothers and sisters between 1995 and 2013, averaging 14,462 per year (1995-2000) and 16,743 per year (2001-2011). This epidemic began in the cotton belt, in Maharashtra, where 53,818 farmers have taken their lives. Monsanto, on it’s own website, admits that pink bollworm “resistance [to Bt] is natural and expected” and that the resistance to Bt “posed a significant threat to the nearly 5 million farmers who were planting the product in India.” Eighty four percent of the farmer suicides have been attributed to Monsanto’s Bt Cotton, placing the corporation’s greed and lawlessness at the heart of India’s agrarian crisis.

There are three outright illegalities to Monsanto’s existence in India.

First, Monsanto undemocratically imposed the false idea of “manufacturing” and “inventing” a seed, undermining robust Indian laws—that do not allow patents on life—and by taking patents on life through international trade law. Since 1999, Monsanto has had the U.S. government do its dirty work, blocking the mandatory review of the Monsanto Law in TRIPS (the Trade Related Intellectual Property Rights Agreement implemented through the WTO).

Second, since they do not have a patent for Bt-Cotton, Monsanto’s collection of royalties as “trait value” or as a “fee for technology traits” (IPR category that does not exist in any legal framework and was concocted by Monsanto lawyers to work outside of the laws of the land) is illegal. These illegal royalty collections have been collected from the most marginal farmers, pushing them to take their own lives.

Third, the smuggling of a controlled substance without approvals (and thus Monsanto’s very entry into India) is a violation and subversion of India’s Biosafety Regulations. This includes the illegal introduction of GMOs into the food system in India, which poses grave risks to the health of ordinary Indian citizens.

Illegal entry of Bt Cotton into India

The Genetic Engineering Appraisal Committee (GEAC), the apex body cons uted in the Ministry of Environment and Forests, is solely entrusted with the responsibility of approving field trials of any genetically modified organisms (GMOs). India’s biosafety framework—one of the strongest in the world—is governed by The Rules for the Manufacture, Use, Import, Export and Storage of Hazardous Micro Organisms, Genetically Engineered Organisms or Cells (notified under the Environment Protection Act, 1986).

ARTICLE (7) OF THE RULES STIPULATES:

APPROVAL AND PROHIBITIONS ETC.

(1) NO PERSON SHALL IMPORT, EXPORT, TRANSPORT, MANUFACTURE, PROCESS, USE OR SELL ANY HAZARDOUS MICROORGANISMS OF GENETICALLY ENGINEERED ORGANISMS/SUBSTANCES OR CELLS EXCEPT WITH THE APPROVAL OF THE GENETIC ENGINEERING APPROVAL COMMITTEE.

On 10 March 1995, MAHYCO (which became Monsanto-Mahyco in 1998) imported 100 grams of cottonseed that contained the MON531-Bt Gene into India without approval from the GEAC. MAHYCO, under undisclosed cir stances, had obtained permission from the RCGM (Review Committee of Genetic Manipulation under the Department of Biotechnology (DBT)), which does not have the authority to approve such an import. Without the approval of the governing body responsible for the approval of the import (GEAC) Monsanto had smuggled a controlled substance into India.

ARTICLE (4) OF THE RULES STIPULATES:

(4) GENETIC ENGINEERING APPROVAL COMMITTEE (GEAC)

THIS COMMITTEE SHALL FUNCTION AS A BODY UNDER THE DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENT FORESTS AND WILDLIFE FOR APPROVAL OF ACTIVITIES INVOLVING LARGE SCALE USE OF HAZARDOUS MICROORGANISMS AND RECOMBINANTS IN RESEARCH AND INDUSTRIAL PRODUCTION FROM THE ENVIRONMENTAL ANGLE. THE COMMITTEE SHALL ALSO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR APPROVAL OF PROPOSALS RELATING TO RELEASE OF GENETICALLY ENGINEERED ORGANISMS AND PRODUCTS INTO THE ENVIRONMENT.

Open field trials are a deliberate release of GMOs into the environment and, under the above Indian law, require approval by the GEAC. Eager to get to market and establish a monopoly in the cotton sector of India in 1998, Monsanto-Mahyco, without the approval of the sole agency allowed to grant permission for open field trials—the GEAC—started large scale, multi-centric, open field trials of Bt Cotton in 40 locations spread across nine states of India.

http://ecowatch.com/2015/07/25/vanda...-end-monsanto/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Prefer Your Meat Drug-Free? You're the "Fringe 1 Percent"

Elanco, the animal-health division of the pharma giant Eli Lilly, makes one of the world's most controversial growth-promoting chemicals for meat production: ractopamine, marketed as Optaflexx for cattle, Paylean for pigs, and Topmax for turkeys.

The campaign insists that organic methods, which forbid growth-boosting chemicals for animals, aren't going to cut it when it comes to fixing hunger.

A member of the class of medicines known as beta-agonists, which are also given to asthmatic people to help relax their airway muscles, ractopamine makes animals grow bigger faster—but it also mimics stress hormones and makes animals' hearts beat faster. Studies suggest that it makes livestock more vulnerable to heat.

Ractopamine is banned for animal use in the
    European Union, China, and more than 100 other countries, and it faces mounting criticism here in the United States.

One can see why an exec operating in the meat industry might be feeling defensive. Industrial-scale meat production has been linked to the rise of antibiotic resistance in human medicine (which claims at least 700,000 lives per year globally); ecological ruin; increased risk of cancer; and the hollowing out of communities where it alights. Insult to injury, US consumers have been cutting back on meat consumption overall, and turning increasingly to drug-free, pasture-raised product.

To clean up his company's image, Elanco's president, Jeff Simmons, has launched a "counteroffensive," reportsBloomberg Businessweek reporter Andrew Martin. In addition to his responsibilities operating a $2.3 billion-dollar global animal-drug business, Simmons runs an initiative called ENOUGH Movement, which calls itself a "global community working together to ensure everyone has access to nutritious, affordable food—today and in the coming decades."

he complained that a group he labeled the "fringe 1 percent," agitating for increased regulation on meat producers, is driving the national debate around food.

Simmons is taking a page from the agrichemical/GMO industry playbook: present your industry as crucial to "feeding the world," as global population grows to 9 billion by 2050, and paint your critics as out-of-touch rich people who are indifferent to hunger and poverty.

"Simmons doesn't directly pitch Elanco products during his speeches on hunger, saying he has a higher purpose: alleviating world hunger and changing a conversation that's been hijacked by a vocal fringe of activists," Businessweek's Martin writes. "If the arguments sound familiar, it's because Monsanto and other proponents of genetically modified foods made similar claims."

We're on the verge of a loud campaign by the meat industry, particularly its pharma sector, to portray its critics as a privileged fringe, untroubled by global hunger.

http://www.motherjones.com/tom-philp...lunatic-fringe

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    I raise drug free beef. It does not only mean implants. Antibiotics are included. It makes for sicker animals. And to be honest the premium isn't there.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I raise drug free beef. It does not only mean implants. Antibiotics are included. It makes for sicker animals. And to be honest the premium isn't there.
    drug free, but free range? or pathogenic CAFO/feedlot?

fed grass as natural forage (makes them healthy) or GMO corn/soy as unnatural food (makes them sick needing drugs)?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. Soap washes off quite well. It's water soluble of course and stays on the outside of the fruit. Dishwashing liquid mixed with water to be more exact. You do have to spray more often though. Lots more work for a large garden.

And upon further observation with the fall tomatoes soap does a great job. Definitely kills the aphids and stink bugs. The stink bugs are definitely the ones messing with the fruit. I will keep using it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

fed grass as natural forage (makes them healthy) or GMO corn/soy as unnatural food (makes them sick needing drugs)?
    Whats the difference with cattle fed nonGMO corn? It's still to get them fat.And It's still not free range.

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count

They are fed both ngmo and gmo corn since their is no scientific difference. I sell them at about 600 lbs and someone else finish s them. They typically use them for their natural fed program or grass fed if they have pasture for them. My personal beef is finished on corn and distillers grain since a low protein diet doesn't result in a tasty steak. You need fat for the marbeling and that's where the taste comes from. If you wanted a crappy dried up leather pouch to gnaw on then maybe an old dairy cow or bison is more up your alley?

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count

Assuming that your an anti vaxxer by those statements.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Assuming that your an anti vaxxer by those statements.
    I against some vaccines that are mostly useless, other are very effective (at least for a while)

I assume you feeding your animals unnatural feedstock and various carb instead of their natural diet of only grasses.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. Soap washes off quite well. It's water soluble of course and stays on the outside of the fruit. Dishwashing liquid mixed with water to be more exact. You do have to spray more often though. Lots more work for a large garden.

And upon further observation with the fall tomatoes soap does a great job. Definitely kills the aphids and stink bugs. The stink bugs are definitely the ones messing with the fruit. I will keep using it.
    So you just mix it and spray? I am putting together a pepper garden and my main concern was keeping bugs off. I want to plant jalapeños, serranos, etc. but I didn't want to waste time and money if they were just going to be eaten up.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you just mix it and spray? I am putting together a pepper garden and my main concern was keeping bugs off. I want to plant jalapeños, serranos, etc. but I didn't want to waste time and money if they were just going to be eaten up.
    Indian neem oil seem to work well.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I use iron phosphate for slugs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I use iron phosphate for slugs
    I'm going to look into both. I'm not going to pretend like I know anything about gardening. I just wanted to do it as a hobby. Nothing too big. I appreciate the help.

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    I against some vaccines that are mostly useless, other are very effective (at least for a while)

I assume you feeding your animals unnatural feedstock and various carb instead of their natural diet of only grasses.
    Since naturally grass doesn't grow in the winter they'd be dead by now.

I'm in the business of raising food. Not hosting a bovine preserve.

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count

There's vaccines that are very effective for animals. Why not use them on animals?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More Than 100 Monsanto Employees Crashed My Presentation on GE Crops and Pesticides

On October 14, I presented the findings of the Center for Food Safety's Pesticides in Paradise report on the island of Moloka‘i in Hawai'i. At around 5:45 PM, about 15 minutes before the presentation was going to start, more than 100 Monsanto employees, all dressed in neon yellow shirts, arrived.

I re-entered the main hall, now crowded with community members, workers. The island is so small that I already recognized faces from the four days I had spent here. My team gave me half horrified, half encouraging looks as I paced the front of the hall. With a few deep breaths and a nod from the few friends we had in the audience, I began. (You can watch the full video, un-edited here).

The presentation walks the audience through data on pesticides and genetically engineered crops in Hawai‘i and the medical literature that examines the human health and environmental impacts of pesticide exposure, on pregnant women, children, and farm workers, who are particularly vulnerable to adverse health effects.

By the time I had wrapped up the presentation, the agitation in the room was palpable.

The company spokespeople had their time on stage, rallying the crowd to cheers of opposition, repeatedly asserting that the information we were sharing was false....

"These are the real experts on pesticides," said Robert Stevenson, president of the Molokai Chamber of Commerce gesturing to the Monsanto workers. "No one knows agriculture and pesticides more than the people of Moloka‘i."

http://www.alternet.org/environment/more-100-monsanto-employees-crashed-my-presentation-ge-crops-and-pesticides

"the people of Moloka‘i.", their crops, their land, their water, their bodies being poisoned by Monsanto for profit

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    Which is it? Pesticides or gmo? Because they are inversely related. Would you like to see a picture in my hazmat suit next year planting my non gmo corn? That sounds safe.

Hawaii is unique to all seed companies because it's year round environment and isolation. You do realize that gmo seed is developed in a non gmo format then spliced with the traits desired? Your poisonous corn is also for sale in a non gmo hybrid from Monsanto.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which is it? Pesticides or gmo? Because they are inversely related. Would you like to see a picture in my hazmat suit next year planting my non gmo corn? That sounds safe.

Hawaii is unique to all seed companies because it's year round environment and isolation. You do realize that gmo seed is developed in a non gmo format then spliced with the traits desired? Your poisonous corn is also for sale in a non gmo hybrid from Monsanto.
    gmo food isn't the primary problem, it's the enslavement of farmers to Monsanto/Syngenta/Bayer AND above all the pollution of air, land, water, people.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    gmo food isn't the primary problem, it's the enslavement of farmers to Monsanto/Syngenta/Bayer AND above all the pollution of air, land, water, people.
    it's really the demand for food that's the problem. lower the demand for grains and stuff.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's really the demand for food that's the problem. lower the demand for grains and stuff.
    the Big Lie from BigChem is that BigPesticide produces higher yields.

Thread Information