Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    Nah, you're the one being dishonest. Most people, including posters here, thought Cleveland had a half decent squad. Obviously that was confirmed when they managed to be in playoff contention despite below average QB play from Hoyer.

Noone had any expectations for Oakland and Jacksonville and they went on to be just as ty as we thought they would be.
    this is all hindsight talking. pettine specifically said during the offseason that it was a compe ion and he never ruled johnny out. he just couldn't win the job over a ty veteran, unlike carr and bortles beating out shaub and henne

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    He's not a finished product. When you say 'I knew he was going to be terrible' it implies he is. When you use the fact that he can't'beat out' Hoyer and McCown + a couple quarters of play as a way to justify your conclusion of him it implies it that much more.
    i still dont say he's a finished product. i knew he was a terrible prospect =/= i knew he was going to be terrible. its probability. there are flawed prospects who end up flourishing, and some "cant miss prospects" who end up struggling. manziel was a very flawed prospect and the year 1 results verified his skeptics.

keep calling it "couple of quarters." he played a full game against cincinnati. and his rookie year also includes the fact that he was struggling to grasp the playbook, etc. not just his performances in those games. since the season, he's had teammates say his approach to the game was a joke and he wasn't showing the commitment in practice, etc.

My Team
    Cleveland Browns
    Post Count
    No it isn't in hindsight and for the fifth time his inability to 'beat out' Hoyer had little to do with his preseason performance and more to do with experience.

You truly are the worst poster to have a discussion with. We can revisit this when he sees significant action and we have more than a whole game vs Cincy to go off of. Or whenever it becomes clear he won't be QB1 for an NFL team.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    No it isn't in hindsight and for the fifth time his inability to 'beat out' Hoyer had little to do with his preseason performance and more to do with experience.
    lol... you keep clinging to this. if manziel played as well as bortles or carr did in the preseason, he'd have been the starter. they had a compe ion. sure, the brass preferred Hoyer due to experience... just like how the raiders preferred schaub and the jaguars preferred Henne. if carr/bortles played just as badly as schaub/henne, then i'm sure the veterans would have been starters for those teams too.

You truly are the worst poster to have a discussion with. We can revisit this when he sees significant action and we have more than a whole game vs Cincy to go off of. Or whenever it becomes clear he won't be QB1 for an NFL team.
    he played more than that. you keep saying "a couple of quarters" even though you know its wrong. i'm not saying he's done, or that he is doomed to failure. i'm saying he was a poor prospect to begin with, and nothing has changed in that regard.

My Team
    Cleveland Browns
    Post Count
    lol just stop

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    I took a wait and see approach at first. But it's easy to see Manziel was a wasted draft pick, he simply doesn't have...."it'...at the pro level.

So talking about him, why?

My Team
    Cleveland Browns
    Post Count
    Just to highlight how frustrating it is to have a discussion with you--knowing how you are I made it a point to use 'handful' instead of 'couple'. I slip up and use 'couple' one time and now you're trying to run with it. You know even though at the end of the day 8 quarters (or whatever amount he played) isn't really that much more experience than 3-4 quarters.

We've got a job to do. Darth_Pelican's Avatar
    My Team
    New Orleans Saints
    Post Count
    His quickness in college was what made him successful. That advantage doesn't exist nearly as much in the fast NFL. If he had an elite passing arm, then maybe he could overcome, but he doesn't. Combine that with the fact that he seems like a terrible human being with no work ethic, and he's destined to be a bust. I mean, come on, do you really honestly see him spending time studying film, learning playbooks, and dedicating himself both physically and mentally to be a starting NFL QB?

My Team
    Cleveland Browns
    Post Count
    His quickness in college was what made him successful. That advantage doesn't exist nearly as much in the fast NFL. If he had an elite passing arm, then maybe he could overcome, but he doesn't. Combine that with the fact that he seems like a terrible human being with no work ethic, and he's destined to be a bust. I mean, come on, do you really honestly see him spending time studying film, learning playbooks, and dedicating himself both physically and mentally to be a starting NFL QB?
    He was a y, spoiled, young kid that needed to get his together. So far he's beaten alcoholism and from all reports is being a pro. If he truly wants to be an NFL QB he'll keep it up, if not he'll revert back to his old ways.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    Just to highlight how frustrating it is to have a discussion with you--knowing how you are I made it a point to use 'handful' instead of 'couple'. I slip up and use 'couple' one time and now you're trying to run with it. You know even though at the end of the day 8 quarters (or whatever amount he played) isn't really that much more experience than 3-4 quarters.
    he didnt play much, and that's fine. when he did play, whether it be preseason or limited time in the reg season, it was largely a disaster, particularly in the regular season. and the mistakes he made were all predictable based on what was said about him during the offseason.

his career isn't "done." i'm just saying, he's done nothing that would cause his skeptics to change their minds about him yet. you dont have to be a year 1 starter to be great... but he can't play in the NFL the way he played in college. that style of play doesn't translate.

Thread Information