Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    So Breakfast at Tiffany's was disappointing although I never really had it on a "must see" list.

Here's the old movies that I do have on that list.

Citizen Kane
    Casablanca
    The Maltese Falcon
    Dr. Strangelove

Any of these not hold up?

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    So Breakfast at Tiffany's was disappointing although I never really had it on a "must see" list.

Here's the old movies that I do have on that list.

Citizen Kane
    Casablanca
    The Maltese Falcon
    Dr. Strangelove

Any of these not hold up?
    Casablanca one of the truly great movies.

Citizan Kane good but doesn't deserve the repect it gets.

The Maltese Falcon THE detective flick.

Dr.Strangelove doesn't belong on the list.

I recommend...

Key Largo
    The Hustler

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Casablanca one of the truly great movies.

Citizan Kane good but doesn't deserve the repect it gets.

The Maltese Falcon THE detective flick.

I recommend...

Key Largo
    The Hustler
    Seen the Hustler. Great movie. I liked Color of Money but wish it'd get redone without the 80's vibe.
    Will add Key Largo then.

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    They are all worth it. You'll need a pretty well developed taste for satire to be able to handle Dr Srangelove.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    They are all worth it. You'll need a pretty well developed taste for satire to be able to handle Dr Srangelove.
    I've liked everything Kubrik has done regardless of the genre but was never really compelled to see this one based on the clips I've seen.

What movie would you compare it too most? Not of his in particular but of any movie.

My Favorite Faded Fantasy The Gemini Method's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    USC Trojans
    Citizen Kane was a great movie-- The maltese Falcon was mom's fave. I personally like The Bridge over the River Kwai

CubanSucksSuperFunTimeGo! Pauly D's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Jersey Nets
    Casablanca is great, Citizen Kane is good but for 'ssake I don't understand how anyone could put it anywhere near the all time greats, never seen Maltese F, and Dr Strangelove is AWESOME. Absolutely hilarious and just all around entertaining.

OP, have you seen Lawrence of Arabia or Doctor Zhivago? A little later than those others but definitely on topic. LoA is GOAT

You're a ing moron

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Casablanca is great, Citizen Kane is good but for 'ssake I don't understand how anyone could put it anywhere near the all time greats, never seen Maltese F, and Dr Strangelove is AWESOME. Absolutely hilarious and just all around entertaining.

OP, have you seen Lawrence of Arabia or Doctor Zhivago? A little later than those others but definitely on topic. LoA is GOAT
    Oh yeah. I've watched LOA several times. Epic movie and definitely a top of all time. I either saw a do entary of the making of it or read an article or something but amazing the scope of the production.
    Bridge Over the River Kwai is great too.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I've liked everything Kubrik has done regardless of the genre but was never really compelled to see this one based on the clips I've seen.

What movie would you compare it too most? Not of his in particular but of any movie.
    Dr. Strangelove is a great movie. It was a best picture nominee at the Academy Awards too, so it's not just a cult classic. It's a mainstream success.

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

I identify Dr Strangelove as more of a Peter Sellers film than a Kubrick film. You can see elements of Clockwork, The Killing and Lolita (another Kubrick/Sellers matchup) in it. To compare it to another film I'd say it's on par with Brazil. But the more familiar with Peter Sellers work you are, the better you'll like/understand Dr Strangelove.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Never seen Maltese but typically you can't go wrong with Bogart.

Citizen Kane- seen it twice and you can just feel how it was a huge step forward. Welles was on another level and I highly recommend Touch of Evil to you CTOA. Kane still has a powerful ending imo.

Casablanca-only seen it once but it lived up to the hype in that it has hardly any fluff or false notes.

Dr. Strangelove - my dads favorite film and the one that inspired my nig Michael Mann to become a director. As a kid I didn't get into the b&w but the humor is perfect, plus the look and style is great. One of my favorite endings ever.

I identify Dr Strangelove as more of a Peter Sellers film than a Kubrick film. You can see elements of Clockwork, The Killing and Lolita (another Kubrick/Sellers matchup) in it. To compare it to another film I'd say it's on par with Brazil. But the more familiar with Peter Sellers work you are, the better you'll like/understand Dr Strangelove.
    it's as pure Kubrick as it gets imo.

CubanSucksSuperFunTimeGo! Pauly D's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Jersey Nets
    Oh yeah. I've watched LOA several times. Epic movie and definitely a top of all time. I either saw a do entary of the making of it or read an article or something but amazing the scope of the production.
    Bridge Over the River Kwai is great too.
    I've seen it like 6 or 7 times ever and it gets better every time. I've seen a do entary about T.E. Lawrence but nothing of the movie. River Kwai was alright to me but the ending was one of the most tense I've ever seen. You have to see Doctor Zhivago to complete the best of David Lean

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Funny. I almost said Brazil in my post but didn't want to put a suggestion in your mind. Love Peter Sellers. Being There is one of my favorites.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I've seen it like 6 or 7 times ever and it gets better every time. I've seen a do entary about T.E. Lawrence but nothing of the movie. River Kwai was alright to me but the ending was one of the most tense I've ever seen. You have to see Doctor Zhivago to complete the best of David Lean
    Ah. That's another that's on my list but I always forget it. Probably because I list Dr. Strangelove.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Kentucky Wildcats
    I highly recommend Touch of Evil
    Agreed. Some of the best filmmaking you'll find...that opening tracking shot is phenomenal.

And Charlton Heston as a Mexican!

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    The pilot in Dr Strangelove ing kills me.

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Never seen Maltese but typically you can't go wrong with Bogart.

Citizen Kane- seen it twice and you can just feel how it was a huge step forward. Welles was on another level and I highly recommend Touch of Evil to you CTOA. Kane still has a powerful ending imo.

Casablanca-only seen it once but it lived up to the hype in that it has hardly any fluff or false notes.

Dr. Strangelove - my dads favorite film and the one that inspired my nig Michael Mann to become a director. As a kid I didn't get into the b&w but the humor is perfect, plus the look and style is great. One of my favorite endings ever.

it's as pure Kubrick as it gets imo.
    Have you seen most of the Kubrick films? I've seen Full Metal Jacket, The Shining and the ones I've mentioned above. If I only ever saw one more, which would you recommend?

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    I didn't like any of them. And I thought "Falcon" would be a sure thing. It's pompous & over done. Never again on any of the 4.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers

I recommend...

Key Largo
    The Hustler
    Yes, though the broken thumbs scene behind the frosted glass is still, over 50 years later a brutal scheme of film (the sound there). And we're (both us & Felson) are forewarned by Scott about going into the wrong pool hall.

"Largo" is a bit trite, but, watchable.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    And I thought "Falcon" would be a sure thing. It's pompous & over done. Never again on any of the 4.
    I'm with Thread on Falcon.

Double Indemnity a much better who done it.

Couple kick ass westerns with a good story and value/ethics when all is said and done:
    Ox Bow Incident Hank Fonda and the colonel from M.A.S.H.
    The Treasure of the Sierra Madre with Humpy who is good, but to us Jon Huston stole the show.

On the Waterfront with Marlon Brando is good.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Ox Bow Incident
    Yep, that movie only grow greater as it ages. It's simply timeless and each viewing brings something new. And it's all done in 75 minutes and it never hurries. Fonda gets to his moment, but, it never, ever hurries. It will haunt ya. Fonda's relationship with the blonde is never revealed,,,doesn't have to be,,,we bear witness the aftermath. The town is so run down and poor. The stench of the Civil War haunts the film. So much hatred is bottled up.

"Finish him." as one of the lynched needs to be shot to death. GD.
    Quinn, at such prime it's just incredible to behold.
    "the colonel from M.A.S.H." matching Fonda every in' frame, frame for frame. Never falters. Uh, uh, not on that shoot.
    Marc Lawrence, driving the movie to perfection.

So much more.

Stellar prompt, Fabbs.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Have you seen most of the Kubrick films? I've seen Full Metal Jacket, The Shining and the ones I've mentioned above. If I only ever saw one more, which would you recommend?
    Have you not seen 2001? That would be the one to see if only one. It is super sparse and ambiguous, but pretty amazing for a major studio picture from 1968. Paths of Glory is really good once you accept Kirk Douglas as a Frenchman.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    And Falcon is one of my all time favs. It wasn't til it was over that I realized what a small scale movie it was; like they filmed a play. All the principal performances made it bigger.
    Last edited by ChumpDumper; 07-29-2015 at 03:02 AM.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Must see other than those mentioned.

Treasure of the Sierra Madre
    Cool Hand Luke
    Boom Town
    The Searchers
    The Killers (Lancasters first)
    High Noon

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    yeah I've seen them all and own most of Kubrick's work. He's probably my second favorite director behind Ridley Scott.

the one I don't see on your list is 2001, which is not only my favorite Kubrick movie but my all time favorite film period. Even though rated G it's ballsier than most films, it's just pure cinema.

another one that is really underrated from him is Barry Lyndon. The whole movie looks like a 18th century painting but it is quite slow, even for me. Ridley Scott directed a very similar film, on 10% of Lyndon's budget, that is just as gorgeous called the Duellists.

I'd recommend any of those but 2001 is his peak imo.

Thread Information