Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just pushing thoughts around here during a lull in the offseason... I know, I know, this should have been posted in another forum, but I ing hate those guys, and could care less about their responses.

So, Lebron has the luxury of picking and choosing wherever he wants to go. Anyone, everywhere, and their grandma would love to have the guy on their side of the ball. I'm not gonna nitpick about salaries and caps... I'm just curious as to what you guys think about a "potential" GOAT consistently picking a loser conference. The guy is basically opting for a hall pass all the way to the Finals year after year after year. I don't blame him... Why not choose a guarantee to the promised land year after year, featured advertisements, and potential "legendary status" just for continuously reaching at least the Finals year after year?

So the question I put forth to you Spursfans... Is Lebron scared to compete in the beast of a Western Conference? Or is it just coincidence?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It actually hurts him more than it helps him with the mainstream media and casual fans, tbh, since it leads to the silly and corny "Finals record" argument..

Ultimately, it won't matter, as long as he wins..Magic Johnson consistently went through some of the tiest conferences in the history of the NBA(worse than the current East IIRC), but nobody remembers when they cite his ring count..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes he is afraid of the western conference. Teams in the East are glad it's not as compe ive. I remember there was a vote recently between the NBA owners and they wouldn't change the playoff seedings to top16 overall. It's just a shame that there are -.500 teams making the playoffs in the East. Although it was nice to see Boston make it over Miami.

BTW, did anyone see what Lebron said on twitter recently? He said the hardest defensive assignments for him are San Antonio, ATL, GSW, BOS and Miami. Interesting.

https://twitter.com/KingJames/status/626179709722861568

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The guy ended up wanting to go home. Conference be damned. It's a phenomenon we're seeing more and more nowadays.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see OKC decimated over the next few years by Durant going to Washington and Westbrook leaving to LA.

Players are dropping 12 million bucks so they can do what they want now.

I don't believe Lebron is scared of anything, but Kawhi guarding him and Danny Green head hunting his fast break layups.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It actually hurts him more than it helps him with the mainstream media and casual fans, tbh, since it leads to the silly and corny "Finals record" argument..

Ultimately, it won't matter, as long as he wins..Magic Johnson consistently went through some of the tiest conferences in the history of the NBA(worse than the current East IIRC), but nobody remembers when they cite his ring count..
    correct, East was better until the early 90s (about 1991-ish). The Celtics had fierce compe ion from Philly, Detroit and later Chicago while there really weren't any other contenders out West in the 1980s save for the Rockets before they got busted for coke and Sampson had that career ending injury, and later the Blazers who were pretty much always perennial pretenders prior to that year they made the Finals and lost to the Pistons.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    correct, East was better until the early 90s (about 1991-ish). The Celtics had fierce compe ion from Philly, Detroit and later Chicago while there really weren't any other contenders out West in the 1980s save for the Rockets before they got busted for coke and Sampson had that career ending injury, and later the Blazers who were pretty much always perennial pretenders prior to that year they made the Finals and lost to the Pistons.
    I don't remember the year, but one of those 80s Lakers runs had the worst compe ion you could imagine..

IIRC, they beat a 30-something win team and 2 low-40s teams to make the Finals..

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't remember the year, but one of those 80s Lakers runs had the worst compe ion you could imagine..

IIRC, they beat a 30-something win team and 2 low-40s teams to make the Finals..
    Not too far off from the leastern conference today, a 50-win team without one of its best 2-3 players is essentially a 40 win team

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just pushing thoughts around here during a lull in the offseason... I know, I know, this should have been posted in another forum, but I ing hate those guys, and could care less about their responses.

So, Lebron has the luxury of picking and choosing wherever he wants to go. Anyone, everywhere, and their grandma would love to have the guy on their side of the ball. I'm not gonna nitpick about salaries and caps... I'm just curious as to what you guys think about a "potential" GOAT consistently picking a loser conference. The guy is basically opting for a hall pass all the way to the Finals year after year after year. I don't blame him... Why not choose a guarantee to the promised land year after year, featured advertisements, and potential "legendary status" just for continuously reaching at least the Finals year after year?

So the question I put forth to you Spursfans... Is Lebron scared to compete in the beast of a Western Conference? Or is it just coincidence?
    Yea, Magic Johnson had a hall pass for a decade and Bird had to beat awesome teams every year to make it to the finals. But the media often touts Magic as being greater cos of his lead in rings. LBJ knows how the game is played.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The league needs James in the east. Without him over there the finals would have been a marketing nightmare for the league during his career, save Boston's year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Uh Cleveland drafted him, then miami made a super team, then he went back home...hes played for two teams n both r justified...this is stupid thread r u a kid

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's be honest about winning the championship. The stars have absolutely got to align for a team to win it.

Just look at the Miami Heat with the big 3. They lost the first time. The second time they one. They almost lost the third time (saved by Ray Allen). They got blown away in the 4th one. However, the big three were virtually injury free throughout that entire time.

Goldenstate, well, they didn't have to meet the Spurs.

Spurs had the same team last year that could have won it all if not for the injuries. If Spurs were in the finals without injuries, they would have easily taken care of the Cavs.

So you absolutely cannot blame James for picking the eastern conference. A conference that guarantees he gets to the finals every year. It's all about improving your odds. Cavs had next to zero chance of winning the finals with the kind of injuries that they had. There is an element of luck that you can't control. So given that he can control going to east or west, then it would be stupid for him to pick to go to the west.

It's not about being scared, it's about being logical.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yeah, that's absolutely right. Lakers were a guaranteed walk in the park into the finals, but in the east it was like Boston and Philadelphia had epic battles just to make it to the finals.

Indubitable Super Saiyan Cloud786's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

1st Round: Denver Nuggets (37-45)
    2nd Round: Golden State Warriors (42-40)
    Conf Finals: Seattle Supersonics (39-43)

The best team they faced was a game over .500

Easiest path to a Finals you will ever see

Indubitable Super Saiyan Cloud786's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wish the Spurs played in the East tbqh...

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The league needs James in the east. Without him over there the finals would have been a marketing nightmare for the league during his career, save Boston's year.
    If James was in the West, the league would take the mixed conference seedings more seriously.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looking back at his career, Lebron's would have probably rang a couple more times between 2006-2010 had he had a coach of Phil/Pop pedigree and slightly better supporting cast in Cleveland..He just never had that guiding authoritative figure early on and still doesn't....Even with current state of the East, I just think it's impossible for him to go an on MJ-type second 3-peat run: he's got way too many mileage ad the West is simply too stacked at the top...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rodman, the defensive god, would cream the ass of the dead king james

but no, let's leave it to Pippen like Rodman says, thats how contemptuous he is of James

Lebron, the athletic small forward who coudnt shoot the ball

what chance would he have against Isaiah Thomas' Pistons?? zero, lol

Believe.
    My Team
    Minnesota Timberwolves
    Post Count
    The only West team that could possibly have any legit pull is currently stuck under an albatross of a $48m contract and coached by one of the Klumps. To be the GOAT Lebron knows he needs storylines and human interest pieces, and both MIA and CLE offer him that + day to day control of their rosters to get all of his ringchasing friends contracts. If he went to Utah tomorrow and had his best years there, no one would really give a to the extent that the whole media has his balls down its throat now. Media markets just do that. A year ago if you'd said that Westbrook was far better than Melo, any casual fan would've laughed in your face.

Shhhh... I'll be gentle. TheDoctor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Uh Cleveland drafted him, then miami made a super team, then he went back home...hes played for two teams n both r justified...this is stupid thread r u a kid

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1st Round: Denver Nuggets (37-45)
    2nd Round: Golden State Warriors (42-40)
    Conf Finals: Seattle Supersonics (39-43)

The best team they faced was a game over .500

Easiest path to a Finals you will ever see
    Ya that's even worse than I remembered, wow..

Sliver and Crack
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1st time he was drafted by an East team. 2nd time he went to play with his best bud. 3rd time he went back to his home state after being basically being offered the first ever player/GM/coach job in NBA history. I doubt being in the East had much to do with any of his stints.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So all the talk about how James couldn't ring without joining the "super friends" squad in MIA is now out the window? I still consider it a chicken- move on his part. Oh, and returning home?? Yeah, to join a new group of super friends in Love and Irving. Not faulting the guy, but it's pretty obvious he does (and has a proven history of doing) what he thinks will give him the best chance (and easiest path) to the Finals and a ring.
    Last edited by shorttotry; 07-31-2015 at 06:07 PM.

Sliver and Crack
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, last summer, if Silver had just moved the Cavs to the West, Lebron wouldn't join them?

Thread Information