Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Sliver and Crack
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    D-E-F-E-N-S-E. Jimmer was 22 as a rookie. Exum 19. R-A-W potential. As in Star potential. I watched 10 Jazz games past February. Exum was raw as , but multifaceted. Jimmer was and is just a gunner. He can work for us as a shooter, but his ceiling is low. I have a feeling PATFO would pick Exum over Jimmer given the chance, and that proves the potential argument. You know , the potential argument I made.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clips are going to be damn good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isn't the Lakers first rounder going to the Sixers in 2016? If so, there is no use in trying to tank just to get a top prospect. They should struggle quite a bit, even if fully healthy. Still, I do like that kid, Brown, from Stanford......and although he is a Laker, I do root for Clarkson, since he went to San Antonio Wagner HS. I believe he is the first basketball player from JISD to make it to the NBA. I know Wagner has another guy who is in the NBA as well, but I think Clarkson was the first.

Sliver and Crack
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They keep it if it's Top 3

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    D-E-F-E-N-S-E. Jimmer was 22 as a rookie. Exum 19. R-A-W potential. As in Star potential. I watched 10 Jazz games past February. Exum was raw as , but multifaceted. Jimmer was and is just a gunner. He can work for us as a shooter, but his ceiling is low. I have a feeling PATFO would pick Exum over Jimmer given the chance, and that proves the potential argument. You know , the potential argument I made.
    Sorry, dude, but Jimmer's not merely a gunner with a low ceiling. Exum has long arms and good athleticism. But that doesn't always translate for various reasons. He played like a scrub last season; but he might end up being a quality role player. I doubt he'll be a star player though.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, Exum will be out for a while it seems. I don't like both Burk(e)s of the Jazz, Alec & Trey, defensive sieves that put a lot of pressure on Rudy to clean up their mistakes on the perimeter.
    Yeah, sorry for the jinx, Jazz fans. Exum going down will seriously impact their playoff odds.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, sorry for the jinx, Jazz fans. Exum going down will seriously impact their playoff odds.
    I don't agree.

He was awful last year and he was going to be awful again this year.

Alec Burks is back which will be a huge relief, and Neto is very intriguing.

If the Jazz were gonna make the Playoffs this year, it'd be with or without Exum.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People have this odd perception that Exum is a great part of the Jazz's core. I guess it's from being the fourth overall pick on an improving team. But Exum played poorly in his rookie season.

Sliver and Crack
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry, dude, but Jimmer's not merely a gunner with a low ceiling. Exum has long arms and good athleticism. But that doesn't always translate for various reasons. He played like a scrub last season; but he might end up being a quality role player. I doubt he'll be a star player though.
    He's 26 and almost out of the league. I'd say that cons utes 'low ceiling'. He can still be a Mills type impact gunner, but no more. Exum has the physical tools and drive to be a star. I too actually doubt he will be one but still, the possibility is there.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's 26 and almost out of the league. I'd say that cons utes 'low ceiling'. He can still be a Mills type impact gunner, but no more. Exum has the physical tools and drive to be a star. I too actually doubt he will be one but still, the possibility is there.
    Exum has no more shot than Jimmer to be 'a star' at this point, imo. It could be argued more or less depending on someone's outlook I suppose though.

I don't think Jimmer being 'almost out of the league' means much to what he can do. He's never been in the right situation. He's still plenty prime and arguably has a higher ceiling than Exum.

You talk about Jimmer's ceiling being Patty Mills. But look at the per 36's. Jimmer has already done what Patty has done in that regard. The difference is that Patty was not in bad systems. And maybe Jimmer will be relatively lucky to top out at a Patty Mills type of role when it's all said in done. But imo, he can surpass that given the opportunity to do so.

Sliver and Crack
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Pop and RC had their pick right now between Jimmer and Exum ( sans injury ), for the same salary, who would they choose? Who would the other 29 teams choose? That's what potential is.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Pop and RC had their pick right now between Jimmer and Exum ( sans injury ), for the same salary, who would they choose? Who would the other 29 teams choose? That's what potential is.
    That's what conventional thinking is; not necessarily potential.

Sliver and Crack
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll take 30 FOs' worth of 'conventional thinking' over any fan's assessment, including mine.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll take 30 FOs' worth of 'conventional thinking' over any fan's assessment, including mine.
    Well, that's the difference between you and me then; I don't view the guys who get paid to do this as any smarter than many educated fans. In many cases, they're dumber. Kawhi Leonard being drafted at 15 should tell you that.

Sliver and Crack
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah...well... I'm not seriously going to argue that. Every person of age, education , work experience and common sense can have his own educated opinion on whether he'd go with the median of 30 highly paid executives' assessment or an educated fan's scouting report.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah...well... I'm not seriously going to argue that. Every person of age, education , work experience and common sense can have his own educated opinion on whether he'd go with the median of 30 highly paid executives' assessment or an educated fan's scouting report.
    You look at every draft. You'll routinely find busts in the top ten and a handful of players that should've been drafted top fifteen. These execs have every tool at their disposal and they still get it that wrong with regularity.

Many of these execs are retired players who were not that smart to begin with. Others are Ivy League egg heads who want think matters come down to precise formulas. I see plenty of stupidity at every level in this game.

In Bud We Trust SquawkinHawkBigCock's Avatar
    My Team
    Atlanta Hawks
    Post Count
    Why don't Adam silver just swap 2 teams from both conference that could change the league and make the league better. Take Memphis and OKC and move them to eastern conference and bring Detroit and Atlanta to western conference. That would even up the strength of each conference. Who says no besides Altanta,Detroit and LeBron but this would be a better league. They gotta make changes or were just going to be bringing this up ever year why the western conference is brutal and eastern conference is a cakewalk. If they're going to give division winners and award them a better seeding then other teams that have a better record then they do. I'm so sick of of these owners meeting in the NBA because what the has changed, nothing. At least in the NFL they make changes for good of the league and it's like that every year but in NBA I don't think anything has changed. They need to make Europe rule about the goaltending call. U can hit the ball as long as it hits the rim. The flop rule and fine is a joke and it doesn't do anything but let everyone know in the world that player X got busted for a flop. Who gives a flying . What u guys think? NBA needs changes
    Hawks gotta stay in the east tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Memphis definitely needs to be an east team, tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People have this odd perception that Exum is a great part of the Jazz's core. I guess it's from being the fourth overall pick on an improving team. But Exum played poorly in his rookie season.
    Yes, he was awful but don't forget he was 19 last year. Had a real chance of surpassing a very limited Burke this year.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, he was awful but don't forget he was 19 last year. Had a real chance of surpassing a very limited Burke this year.
    A chance; but far from a sure fire thing.

Not in POs roster NameLess Scrub's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You look at every draft. You'll routinely find busts in the top ten and a handful of players that should've been drafted top fifteen. These execs have every tool at their disposal and they still get it that wrong with regularity.

Many of these execs are retired players who were not that smart to begin with. Others are Ivy League egg heads who want think matters come down to precise formulas. I see plenty of stupidity at every level in this game.

This makes me curious. You're completely right, but could educated fans make better decisions?

For instance, were fans thinking Kawhi was a top 10 pick? I always thought he was a surprise that made the Spurs FO look like geniuses.

The 6th is coming... will_spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not saying OKC won't make it, but I'm not sold on the fact they're a lock. KD is a huge question mark at the moment. And we know that without him they're not going anywhere. On top of that WB has had even more time in the limelight and nobody knows how he will adjust. I'm really not sold on their alleged "chemistry" either, so it could all blow up ala Lillard-LMA, and sooner than later if you ask me.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This makes me curious. You're completely right, but could educated fans make better decisions?

For instance, were fans thinking Kawhi was a top 10 pick? I always thought he was a surprise that made the Spurs FO look like geniuses.
    Building teams is not the rocket science people pretend it is. Though, as the CBA rules become more complex, the system does favor the more savvy mind now.

And I agree that the KL draft didn't show how smart PATFO is so much as it showed how stupid the league is/was in general. I think it's a lot like that across all the major sports, tbh.

Thread Information