Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The dumbest pothead on the planet. Pass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What about Ray Allen? He could be much help for us but would you take the man who did the most soul breaking all time to you?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hard to believe that was the same guy that was the 2nd best player on the '06 Mavs team that beat us & should have beaten Miami. Was Finley just that bad of a defender?
    The long answer is....yes.

Not in POs roster NameLess Scrub's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He should just go to PR's BSN. MVP candidate tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Absolutely fantastic trade but better than the Kawhi trade?

I guess they're both close...
    Both are up there no doubt. Kawhi trade might have the edge.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't the Spurs sign Howard a couple of years ago and he played for the Toros? Did I hallucinate that?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The long answer is....yes.
    Very detailed in your approach, yet to the point, concise and easy to understand.
    Kudos.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Both are up there no doubt. Kawhi trade might have the edge.
    The day Limp got traded for The Captain was one of the happiest days of my life.
    Having said that, I think I have to put the trade for Kawhi as a bigger deal. Still... Dropping Limps for SJax was one of great thing for the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hard to believe that was the same guy that was the 2nd best player on the '06 Mavs team that beat us & should have beaten Miami. Was Finley just that bad of a defender?
    Finley played power forward for most of that series, so yes, he was.

Millennial Messiah UNT Eagles 2016's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Finley played power forward for most of that series, so yes, he was.
    Robert Horry IIRC guarded Dirk very well in the first game when we didn't really use small ball much. The game was a very close win for us, but even Bill Walton saw it -- the writing on the wall was that Horry was going to stop Dirk and Popovich moronically put 6'6" Bowen on him the whole time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Robert Horry IIRC guarded Dirk very well in the first game when we didn't really use small ball much. The game was a very close win for us, but even Bill Walton saw it -- the writing on the wall was that Horry was going to stop Dirk and Popovich moronically put 6'6" Bowen on him the whole time.
    No, that's incorrect. Horry spent most of that series in foul trouble. The problem was that Pop moronically benched his centers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The day Limp got traded for The Captain was one of the happiest days of my life.
    Having said that, I think I have to put the trade for Kawhi as a bigger deal. Still... Dropping Limps for SJax was one of great thing for the team.
    Man I remember it to this day, it felt like an old reunion with Jack back in the Spurs uni and that bum Richard finally gone! That was a of a trade and I remember how happy I was that night. They got rid of that contract! WOW, some idiots took on RJ's contract.

Earth, Wind, and Fire. BlackSilver's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's more amazing to me is that the Spurs reportedly had interest in this knucklehead not just once, but several times. I sincerely hope that was just his agent floating rumors in the mill, but then again, PATFO isn't always infallible...they did once overpay for Richard ing Jefferson AFTER he stunk it up for a season.
    Wasn't that a wink-wink deal where he opted out of his final year @$15 million and signed a multi-year agreement @ roughly $10 million per?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't the Spurs sign Howard a couple of years ago and he played for the Toros? Did I hallucinate that?
    In 2013:

Last edited by BlackSilver; 08-06-2015 at 02:41 PM. Reason: video link

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wasn't that a wink-wink deal where he opted out of his final year @$15 million and signed a multi-year agreement @ roughly $10 million per?
    Yep yep.

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/7/21/15...ign-39-million

And other NBA executives have taken note, as ESPN's John Hollinger explains:

[The Jefferson re-signing] raised eyebrows in front offices around the league, many of which suspected that there was a prearranged deal between the two parties. [...]

That said, we have no smoking gun that there was any kind of prearranged deal between the Spurs and Jefferson. We don't even have a smokeless gun. All we have is the cir stantial evidence above, as well as two other pieces of information:

1. The Spurs don't sign bad contracts.

2. This is the worst contract of the summer.

Follow the money, however. Jefferson's opt-out and lower-salaried return means the Spurs will save about $17 million in salary, luxury tax and tax distributions this year (if one presumes Splitter was coming regardless). Jefferson's new deal cost $31 million after this season, which is all we care about since the Spurs were paying him in 2010-11 either way. Subtract $17 million from $31 million and you end up with Jefferson's deal as a three-year, $14 million extension, which seems eminently reasonable … if you were going to prearrange such a thing.

Thread Information