Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan has been plagued his whole career by foul trouble due to his inability to set a screen. It's one reason the Spurs have run almost no pick and roll during his entire career, because they have to try to keep him on the floor. The coaching staff in the Olympics insisted on running pick and roll, something Duncan is terrible at, and he was constantly on the bench in foul trouble. That Olympic team had some of the best outside shooters in the history of the game, and Duncan could have feasted in the post with the spacing they provided if only they hadn't tried to run off Duncan's picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Youre a salty Duncan hater. Pathetic

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan has been plagued his whole career by foul trouble due to his inability to set a screen. It's one reason the Spurs have run almost no pick and roll during his entire career, because they have to try to keep him on the floor. The coaching staff in the Olympics insisted on running pick and roll, something Duncan is terrible at, and he was constantly on the bench in foul trouble. That Olympic team had some of the best outside shooters in the history of the game, and Duncan could have feasted in the post with the spacing they provided if only they hadn't tried to run off Duncan's picks.
    ...not sure if you forgot the blue?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since 2006 the Spurs' players don't make Team USA. Colangelo wouldn't allow it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ...not sure if you forgot the blue?
    I figured I couldn't have been more obvious so it wasn't needed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why is OP a cat loving got?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Admiral brought his country gold twice in his prime years playing with NBA players. I guess he has the more complete resume
    Yet he won bronze in 1998 when he was the go to player on the squad...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I figured I couldn't have been more obvious so it wasn't needed.
    Just wanted to make sure we didn't need to get the looney bus over to your place.

My Team
    Charlotte Bobcats
    Post Count
    So no one really knows the reason behind Duncan's unpatriotic decision. What a shame.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why is OP a cat loving got?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So no one really knows the reason behind Duncan's unpatriotic decision. What a shame.
    Seems pretty basic to me. He had a terrible experience in 2004 due to being stuck with a bin of teammates and constantly being glued to the bench by skewed officiating, all of which contributed to a humiliating defeat for the Dream Team. He pretty much swore off FIBA after that, and he has stuck to his guns.

Duncan would rather be spending his offseason with his kids, banging Vanessa, and nerding it up with paintball and video games anyways, so pretty sure he could care less about going for that gold.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yet he won bronze in 1998 when he was the go to player on the squad...
    First off, I was being sarcastic. At the same time, a young Sabonis is pretty tough. Sabonis was on the USSR team that won that game. He'd be a pro since 81 and was 24. I'd also venture to say Tim's Olympic loss was more talent heavy.

My Team
    Charlotte Bobcats
    Post Count
    Iverson
    Marion
    Odom
    Boozer
    Wade
    Lebron
    Melo
    Jefferson
    Amare
    +
    Captain Duncan

smh how does that collection of talent get its asses kicked by manu, scola and Ncioni

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a sport invented by Americans

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just wanted to make sure we didn't need to get the looney bus over to your place.
    No, definitely not. You might blow the dust out of your sarcasm detector.

I always laugh at people that pretend not to notice that Duncan was targeted by the refs during the Olympics. In addition to the screens and reach ins, apparently Duncan forgot how to play in the post without travelling.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah there is a lot of honor having player's whose salaries together equal a quarter of a billion dollars play a team's whose country's entire national wealth doesn't match that. The shame.....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Naismith became a US citizen. It's a safe bet that most of the people at Springfield college who helped him develop the game were Americans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Barkley would trade his Gold medals and his refrigerators for a ring.
    Malone would give the Gold medals and his 12 year old girls for a ring, well maybe not all the girls

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one actually cares about olympic basketball

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From my understanding he had some kind of season ending surgery in 2000 so couldn't represent the US of A in Sydney. Understandable of course.

2004 was a debacle, and Duncan, as the best player on the squad and team captain, should never have let a bronze happen. There's no sugarcoating it, but third place in basketball, a sport invented by Americans and played by Americans for decades before anyone else, with the best talent pool in the world, should absolutely 100% have never happened. But at least he played.

Why was he not playing in 2008 in Beijing? He was only 32 years old and was not injured at the time from what I can find. He had only played 34mpg the previous NBA season. What's the deal? Surely after being absolutely humiliated -- and by extension humiliating the entire country -- four years earlier, he should have had the patriotic drive to redeem himself and this great nation, right? I can't think of a single valid reason not to represent this great nation in the ultimate compe ion when our pride was on the line in the worst way, such as when Robinson came back in 1992 to redeem himself for the embarrassment that was the '88 bronze. LeBron, Wade, and Melo all did it.
    Basketball was invented by a Canadian Dr. James Naismith.. Typical american taking credit for everything.

Sliver and Crack
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one actually cares about olympic basketball
    That's why it's filled with amateur ballers and the arenas are empty. Goes without saying.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    OP is a got who chose homelessness over giving up their pet cats.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not here to excoriate Duncan, I just want answers that isn't spursfan
    Then why would you come here, dumbass?

My Team
    Charlotte Bobcats
    Post Count
    Then why would you come here, dumbass?

Because I wanted to know if Spursfan had an actual explanation for Duncan's unpatriotic decision that wasn't typical "FIBA suckz" apologist crap

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe because the U.S. Virgin Islands didn't field a team?
    Maybe because his son was born before the season started, and he'd been playing ball and hadn't seen him enough?
    Maybe because Grand Theft Auto IV had just come out?
    Maybe because he'd been kicked out of an NBA game for laughing, and was in no mood for more bull from FIBA?

No, dip , he told Colangelo, way back in 2006, his exact reason for not playing: "I have no interest in that."
    That's it. He didn't wanna. And apparently he just didn't give a that in 2015 you would still be pissed about it.

Thread Information