vanity fair has the best recaps...

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/...-finale-reveal

Clever got me this far... JMarkJohns's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    College
    Arizona Wildcats
    I'm gonna have to rewatch. But the smiles said it all...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Whoa.. I'd be fine with that being the series finale.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'm satisfied. Ford isn't dead, there's just no way. He was cloning himself. I get sort of a LOST feel to it.

Now to digest everything.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I'm satisfied. Ford isn't dead, there's just no way. He was cloning himself. I get sort of a LOST feel to it.

I think that's the host he was making when Bernard offed Teresa in the basement.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    College
    Arizona Wildcats
    Correct. I don't think there's any chance that was rally Ford.

So we still get to wonder is he playing a master of the universe game of chess, now? Or just kicking back and watching the anarchy?

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    My biggest issue with the show is that I just don't buy how quickly William turns. He goes from beta to straight-up sadist in less than a day. Too convenient. They should have let his change happen more organically over the course of 30 years.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    I enjoyed the show but I dont think I'll watch next season.

Who really cares? Is Ford dead? Probably because Anthony Hopkins costs a lot of money.

Nolanites love them some sappy Nolan-esque views of "humanity" but this wasnt a terribly smart show. The Nolans always so pre-occupied with their twists that characters start to do stuff that doesnt make any sense. Likewise, the whole premise of how the park was written for a 1970s movie but really doesnt hold up with with technological advances of the past 40 years:

1) Why would they create a physical world in which people can get hurt versus a virtual world? Why build a freaking ocean when you could create a digital one a la "The Matrix". Are we suppose to believe that this technology doesnt exist but they have fully autonomous humans that you can have sex with and not know the difference?

2) Why would they use real humans to clean up hosts? Why dont they just use other machines? Wouldnt that be infinitely cheaper? The cleaning seems to be an extremely repe ive process and the hosts have proved theyre capable of doing just about anything (except the Nolanly act of having "conscientiousness"). The answer, of course, is because Maeve's plot requires it.

3) Why would Dr Ford create a host that looks exactly like Arnold? Would no one else really know who Arnold (the co-creator) was? Is information in the future suddenly not available at the swipe of a finger? And what purpose does it serve except to provide "a twist"?

4) Ed Harris' motives for wanting to find the maze went from interesting to just plain stupid. I like the idea of him discovering the existence of the maze and being obsessed with finding it. It would have made more sense if he was hoping it would allow Delores to remember him and love him again. Rather he wants the bots to become fully aware so they can start killing people. Why? So he can lose his fortune as majority share-holder of the park? They did give him some Nolany explanation via dialogue with Ford at the end that I just rolled my eyes at.

5) So Delores was imagining William was with her the second time around? She's re-enacting the dialogue and even riding the same train and putting on the same clothes? Pretty ing stupid but the Nolans just love their twists!

6) Arnold is genius enough to build fully autonomous beings but cant think of a way to prove the hosts can gain "conscientiousness" and are thus dangerous except to sacrifice himself in a host-assisted suicide....in front of no one.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Yeah this was a ing lot to absorb. dsf does raise some legitimate questions also

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    ...predictable post from dsf

Seriously, why do you even bother watching anything Nolan does? You hate all of it. It's like me forcing myself to watch musicals then ing about how bad they suck.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Denver Nuggets
    My current list of favorite TV shows of the last decade:

1). Breaking Bad
    2). Game Of Thrones
    3). Westworld
    97.) Gettingn kicked in the Nuts
    98). Walking Dead

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    ...predictable post from dsf

Seriously, why do you even bother watching anything Nolan does? You hate all of it. It's like me forcing myself to watch musicals then ing about how bad they suck.
    Maybe..I did enjoy the show but I thought the ending was a let down and some of the "twists" werent done very well. What really bugs me is Nolanites endlessly debating on reddit and other forums why something is (or isnt) when the obvious answer is lazy writing.

Why did Anthony Hopkins call the Arnold clone "Bernard" yet make him look exactly like Arnold? The answer is because the twist requires it.

Without the "twist", William's story wasnt particularly interesting. I mean who really cares that William came to the park a sap, falls in love with an android and turns bad? If theres no twist that hes a young Ed Harris then that whole story was pretty boring.

Im not sure I'll watch the next season because I dont care what "twist" is next and Anthony Hopkins was the best part of the show.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    College
    Arizona Wildcats
    Just as a point of fact, a twist comes out of nowhere.

Nolan excels is a "tease, tease, reveal"

As the linked-to Vanity Fair article points out, like the Prestige, this series has a lot of plain sight hints throughout the entire series.

If you're looking for twists, I can see why you're disappointed.

I certainly understand some of you're gripes.

I need to rewatch the series to discuss some of your details. Sometimes the "plain sight" nature makes micro details harder to find despite obviousness of their placement.

I second-guessed William as MIB for some of these.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Just watched the finale

Also in every thread, of every forum there will always be at least one asshole ing about even the greatest of shows.

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Show got decent at about episode 6. Crazy ending. Hopkins is awesome.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Just caught up. Great show, interesting to see where next season takes us.

My biggest gripe was actually the subplot with Maeve (excellent character). The two moron supporting characters (Felix and Sylvester) are just too much for me.

-How exactly was Maeve blackmailing them? I mean who was she planning to snitch to, being a robot that's gained sentience?
    -Why is Felix such a pussy? Why does he barely react to his colleagues getting murdered due to his actions?
    -Why didn't they both just run away and tell their bosses? Especially when Maeve was back in the game?
    -Why didn't they just set her attributes to zero? Or put up any sort of reasonable resistance?
    -How didn't the command center notice any of the drastic story arc changes Maeve was causing? Or any disturbances in the repair shops?

Maybe I missed the explanation to these, but it just about broke suspension of disbelief for me.

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Just caught up. Great show, interesting to see where next season takes us.

My biggest gripe was actually the subplot with Maeve (excellent character). The two moron supporting characters (Felix and Sylvester) are just too much for me.

-How exactly was Maeve blackmailing them? I mean who was she planning to snitch to, being a robot that's gained sentience?
    -Why is Felix such a pussy? Why does he barely react to his colleagues getting murdered due to his actions?
    -Why didn't they both just run away and tell their bosses? Especially when Maeve was back in the game?
    -Why didn't they just set her attributes to zero? Or put up any sort of reasonable resistance?
    -How didn't the command center notice any of the drastic story arc changes Maeve was causing? Or any disturbances in the repair shops?

Maybe I missed the explanation to these, but it just about broke suspension of disbelief for me.

You're right that bugged me too.
    Also the black guy being a robot was an unnecessary plot twist for no real purpose.

Overall tho I dug it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Toronto Raptors
    You're right that bugged me too.
    Also the black guy being a robot was an unnecessary plot twist for no real purpose.

Overall tho I dug it.
    A big part of my annoyance with the subplot is relieved if Felix and Sylvester are both hosts (which I believe after further analysis)
    - They're named after cartoon cats. I refuse to believe the show was being meta for no reason, or the Westworld HR department was looking for cat-named candidates
    - They pretty much revealed that everything involving Maeve was scripted by Ford until her decision to go back for her daughter
    - If it was all scripted, those two need to be scripted hosts as well. Adding two human employees that can flee at any time would be nonsenical

I still don't understand how so much went down on that floor without anyone batting an eye (they have cameras as Elsie showed). The rooms are all glass, does anyone work on the floor? . But I can hand-wave that as being 'part of the script' if they're hosts.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Phoenix Suns
    College
    Arizona Wildcats
    Felix has to know... plain and simple. He aspired to be a programmer. He sees his dream in what he's aided in her awakening/becoming. He now must continue to fulfill to what extent.

It doesn't matter what is happening... only what could happen.

That's his drive.

I don't think it's pussification so much as intentional actions based upon both a sexual and technical curiosity.

As Top Dollar would say, "Call It My Need To Know".

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Felix has to know... plain and simple. He aspired to be a programmer. He sees his dream in what he's aided in her awakening/becoming. He now must continue to fulfill to what extent.

It doesn't matter what is happening... only what could happen.

That's his drive.

I don't think it's pussification so much as intentional actions based upon both a sexual and technical curiosity.

As Top Dollar would say, "Call It My Need To Know".
    Agree, I figured that was his driver, but for me it wasn't explored enough to have credibility (and it still doesn't explain Sylvester and the other things I mentioned). And for a show that likes to spell out the motivations of characters (generally through monologue), Felix was probably served getting more depth/a platform than just being essentially a tool for Maeve.

I mean, besides his curiosity with the bird, he spends most of the time hesitating, stunned or telling Maeve 'we shouldn't do [insert activity]!' before eventually complying, mostly under Maeve's influence (who's already threatened to kill both techs, which further undermines his own motivations). They should've at least given Felix more of a character.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Binged watched this in 2 days.

Jeffrey Wright and Anthony Hopkins along with that female lead did an amazing job. Didn't care for Newton's character or even her performance as an actress.

Poor old James Mardens continues to be cucked by every women he's involved in.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

I think that's the host he was making when Bernard offed Teresa in the basement.
    Correct. I don't think there's any chance that was rally Ford.

So we still get to wonder is he playing a master of the universe game of chess, now? Or just kicking back and watching the anarchy?
    I always thought his character was going to die by the finale anyway. Hopkins is too much of a powerhouse to want to stick around a TV show..even if its from HBO.

I didn't get the sense it wasn't "him"

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    College
    Oregon State Beavers
    Hopkins was only signed for one season so I think we can conclusively state he was killed.

Thread Information