Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wish we had a religions discussion thread on this forum..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

No, I meant reconcile.
    You may mean reconcile...but you are interpreting.

I'm talking about the scholarly accurate translation. And this response to kill being translated to murder utterly fails to address the point that was being made. Way to dance around an issue where you can't come up with points valid enough to support your reasoning.

Sure I can...

#1. Murder isn't a Hebrew word. So it is not possible for the literal translation to say thou shalt not Murder.

#2. I can find a Hebrew translation that claims it does indeed say..no killing.

#3. The Hebrew definition of their word for murder is broader than just taking a life unlawfully...come to think of it...so is the English.

Using the most liberal definitions you could indeed make a claim that the taking of any life is murder...you could also argue that you shouldn't even hurt someones feelings.

And before you laugh about the hurting someones feelings aspect...just realize that there is a segment in the Old Testament where God does indeed kill someone for mocking.

The Bible is clear on the difference between murder and punishment for commiting murder so man is correctly following scripture in implementing CP.
    That being said your comments about abortion are null and void.

No...the bibles comments concerning abortion being murder are non-existent.

As stated before, you don't have a good grasp of the scripture in it's entirety. David/Goliath, Samson/Phillistines, Joshua at Jericho etc.
    Um...those guys all came before Jesus...are you Jewish or Christian?

Jesus turned the other cheek and forgave his killers.

You can't flip flop back and forth between commandments, old and new testaments as it suits you...be consistent.

The Old Testament is Ghetto...

Do you eat pork?

Just as Christ said, to fulfill scripture.
    It was to make a point about forgiving and death not being punishment if you are blessed with eternal life...you seem to have missed it.

Scripture tells us 'not to fear him that can destroy the body but him (God) who can destroy both the body and soul. All that are unrepentant of their sins have rejected God and receive of their own free will eternity in .
    All that repent of their sins, including murderers, receive the gift of eternity in heaven.

That's got nothing to do with abortion...and if anything it makes it clear that there is a difference between killing the body and killing the soul...

But if you want quotes on abortion let's a have a few:

If a man fathers a hundred children and lives many years, however many they be, but his soul is not satisfied with good things, and he does not even have a proper burial, then I say, `better the miscarriage than he, for it comes in futility and goes into obscurity; and its name is covered in obscurity. It never sees the sun and it never knows anything; it is better off than he.'"
    Ecclesiastes 6:3-5

That statement strongly seems to indicate that it is better to not be born than it is to live a life of suffering.
    Last edited by whottt; 09-16-2005 at 03:44 PM.

Just Right of Atilla the Hun Yonivore's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, it's correctly translated “Thou shall not murder.” This is more accurate because the Hebrew word so translated does not refer to killing in general but to malicious and unlawful killing.

Neither accidental killing (Numbers 35:22-25) nor justifiable homicide (Ex. 22:2) are a breaking of the sixth commandment. Neither killing in war nor capital punishment are necessarily forbidden in this commandment since God required both in certain cases (Ex.21:12). So the correct translation is, “You shall not murder.”

I'm through arguing this with you whottt. We've hijacked the thread and you're not going to change your mind.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Face it, God's a conservative Republican.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    dude thats a funny joke, I'm just not sure youre joking
    please tell me so
    if not then you just made cbf's sig

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, I'm for real.

Leonard Doody is my BITCH! Mr Dio's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Face it, God's a conservative Republican
    Yet ANOTHER dumbass that speaks to God.
    OK, PROVE IT..ask for the winning lottery #s!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That makes two dumbasses who thought I was being serious.

Sarcasm isn't a disease. Though if it was, your ass would be dead.

Leonard Doody is my BITCH! Mr Dio's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That makes two dumbasses who thought I was being serious.
    You can never tell with a woman. Something under your skin sweetie?

Talk about a dumbass not knowing sarcasm.

Just goes to show that 1, 2 or 10 degrees can't instill common sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, that was hilarious.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No he's not. But he was inspired by the HOly Spirit. Whott your exegis is horrible. You can not base theology out of silence. Just because Jesus didnt promote capital punishment doesnt mean he condemned it. Jesus was giving instructions on the Kingdom of heaven and not the Kingdom of the Temporal Earth!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No he's not. But he was inspired by the HOly Spirit.
    Still doesn't mean he's the word of god...

Whott your exegis is horrible. You can not base theology out of silence. Just because Jesus didnt promote capital punishment doesnt mean he condemned it. Jesus was giving instructions on the Kingdom of heaven and not the Kingdom of the Temporal Earth!
    And just because Jesus didn't promote abortion doesn't mean he condemned it either...

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Originally posted by whottt: No...the bibles comments concerning abortion being murder are non-existent.
    It doesn't say "don't hold someone's head under water until they are dead" either , guess that's okay too?

God tells us (Psalms) that we are 'beautifully created in our mothers womb'.
    And you don't think God has an opinion about abortion?

^^^^^5 months old, aborted by suction, God has no opinion? The Bible is silent? So concerned about over population that you blind yourself to the crime of abortion or you just don't give 2 flips about the millions just like the baby above that are aborted each year?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Um...if you or I had been aborted we'd have never known it and our suffering would be far less than that of people brought into this world by idiots who cannot care for them.

I certainly hope you have several adopted children...otherwise your beliefs are nothing more than carelessness and passing the responsiblity and side effects of your beliefs on to someone else.

Please go adopt several children...Post haste...Yoni and Gtown need to do this as well.

When there are no more unwanted children in orphanages, or homeless, or being sold into slavery...then you can start lecturing me on the evils of abortion.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    [QUOTE]
    Um...if you or I had been aborted we'd have never known it and our suffering would be far less than that of people brought into this world by idiots who cannot care for them.
    Which idiots are you talking about? Do some of these idiots still have children? Should we put these children out of their misery too or just the ones pictured above?

I certainly hope you have several adopted children...otherwise your beliefs are nothing more than carelessness and passing the responsiblity and side effects of your beliefs on to someone else.
    Two adopted via marriage and three more (not adopted). Trying to foist guilt and blame for the aborted babies on those that haven't adopted is a strawmans arguement.
    The blame lies directly with those that perform abortions, abortion activists and those that know the fetus is a human being and willfully seek to have him or her aborted.

Considered yourself lectured on the evils of abortion.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Which idiots are you talking about? Do some of these idiots still have children? Should we put these children out of their misery too or just the ones pictured above?
    Nope...once they are out of the womb they are living breathing people...

Late in the pregnancy you can't really do it safely anyway...but early in the pregnancy?

If it cannot survive independently out of the womb than it cannot truly be considered a person.

Two adopted via marriage and three more (not adopted).
    It doesn't count unless they were parentless children.

Trying to foist guilt and blame for the aborted babies on those that haven't adopted is a strawmans arguement.
    The blame lies directly with those that perform abortions, abortion activists and those that know the fetus is a human being and willfully seek to have him or her aborted.
    I am not placing blame for the aborted babies on you...

I am placing the blame for the unadopted babies and homeless children on you...especially since you want to make more of them.

Considered yourself lectured on the evils of abortion.
    Consider your self with a warped sense of suffering and sympathy...and an inability to see the forest for the trees.
    Last edited by whottt; 09-17-2005 at 07:06 PM.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    [QUOTE]
    Nope...once they are out of the womb they are living breathing people...
    They are living and breathing in the womb too.

If it cannot survive independently out of the womb than it cannot truly be considered a person.
    Once the baby is outside the womb it needs the same nutrition it was given inside the womb. He or she cannot survive independently outside of the womb either.

I
    am placing the blame for the unadopted babies and homeless children on you...especially since you want to make more of them.
    Have you killed a terrorist lately? If not then you are to blame for all of those children who are parentless because of suicide attacks.

Consider your self with a warped sense of suffering and sympathy...and an inability to see the forest for the trees.
    Your vision is clouded because of your worries about world overpopulation.

^^^This (saline abortion at 4 mos) doesn't phase you and I have a warped sens of suffering and sympathy....okay.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Actually, if someone makes a comment so incredibly stupid, it puts everything you've ever said, previous to this point, into perspective.

I always thought that behind the constant Depth Charts, Salary Information, Plausible salaries for the next season, wishful thinking, and "contributions" to the forum, there lied a decent-minded person just posting their points of view.

But now I realize you're the biggest on this forum, far beyond the likes of any previous .
    Last edited by Cant_Be_Faded; 09-18-2005 at 05:30 PM. Reason: I still could not believe what i had read.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    MB makes Clandestino look like W.D. Hamilton.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Marcus Bryant, what you've just said is one of the most

insanely idiotic things I have ever heard.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought.

Everyone in this room is now dumber for having read it.

I award you no points,

and may God have mercy on your soul.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What a dumb mother er.

You do realize that was a sarcastic comment, no?

Your last three posts are instant classics. Congrats.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chill the fuk out...

Yes he slaped Roberts on the butt and said.. "your the best baby" and winked at him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What a dumb mother er.

You do realize that was a sarcastic comment, no?

Your last three posts are instant classics. Congrats.
    What fantastic idiocy!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey, it's not my fault you don't understand the concept of sarcasm. Next time, think before you embarass yourself again.

Thread Information